Author Topic: OATCAKES  (Read 15205 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: OATCAKES
« Reply #25 on: 05 March, 2013, 05:58:44 pm »
Proper oatcakes are Scottish.

If anyone is interested I can post a good recipe.

PH

Nairn's

At the Seder Passover ceremony, held in many Jewish homes every year, the celebrant points at the Matza and says
"This is the bread of affliction, which our fathers ate..."

Nairn's are the brad of poverty; fine with cheese, dire in isolation. [Grabs coat and attempts escape.]

« Reply #26 on: 06 March, 2013, 08:36:50 am »
I should have added with the proviso I am not, not discussing Nairns... eugh... Strachans though are very good and so are the Orkney and North Ronaldsay brands.

PH
Bees do nothing invariably.

« Reply #27 on: 06 March, 2013, 08:50:07 am »
During the weekend meet at Gordy's a while back, I ventured into Stone and dined on a Bacon and Egg filled Oatcake. Truly delicious.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

« Reply #28 on: 06 March, 2013, 09:12:31 am »
From another thread.

Me, passing through Keele, Staffs.

I had a Bacon-filled Oatcake for 2nd brekky from the pun-tastic Oatcuisine.

Thats only a few miles from my house. I'm about 1.5 miles from Keele and  that's a little corner oatcake shop in Bignall End (nr to Audley about 6 miles away. I get mine from Mellors oatcakes in Porthill if I drop the wife off at the hairdressers.

Fresh is much better than ??day old from supermarkets. I could just eat a filled oatcake.
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

Genosse Brymbo

• Ostalgist
« Reply #29 on: 18 March, 2013, 05:46:39 pm »
It's amazing what you chance across when you're waiting for all the recoverable files to copy from the disk whose S.M.A.R.T counters aren't looking so clever to another disk and then perform a full build from source...  Ok, that was geek-speak for I'm bored witless and am surfing the web while I wait for my work computer to finish doing something.

That oatcake shop is actually in Miles Green*, on the corner of Heathcote Rd (named after local coalmine owner) and Station Rd (led to Halmerend station).  It's my favourite, and fortunately nearest when up there to visit relatives.  Mellor's is also good (and 1/4 mile from the in-laws).  Agree that the supermarket oatcakes are not as fresh, and often not as good anyway.  Hmm, now thinking of toasted cheese on oatcake followed by oatcakes with Golden Syrup...

I hope you returned via Alsager's Bank or Peggy's Bank and didn't choose a longer, flatter route like through Madeley.

*Miles Green is within Bignall End for the purpose of postal routing.  However, be careful to distinguish between Audley, Bignall End, Halmerend, Miles Green, and Wood Lane when addressing born-and-bred locals, and never refer to the whole area as Audley unless you want some Deliverance-style trouble.
The present is a foreign country: they do things differently here.

LEE

« Reply #30 on: 21 March, 2013, 10:12:06 am »
From another thread.

Me, passing through Keele, Staffs.

I had a Bacon-filled Oatcake for 2nd brekky from the pun-tastic Oatcuisine.

Thats only a few miles from my house. I'm about 1.5 miles from Keele and  that's a little corner oatcake shop in Bignall End (nr to Audley about 6 miles away. I get mine from Mellors oatcakes in Porthill if I drop the wife off at the hairdressers.

Fresh is much better than ??day old from supermarkets. I could just eat a filled oatcake.

I hope to be riding 320km to Stockport on Good Friday.  The route should take me right past OATCUISINE again.  I'm hoping it's open.  A Bacon Oatcake would be perfect fuel for that final 50km.

« Reply #31 on: 21 March, 2013, 11:14:20 am »
Pmd you Paul.
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #32 on: 21 March, 2013, 10:54:46 pm »
I shall be making a batch this weekend.

A number of them will have cheese grilled on them then be rolled up and allowed to cool, to be packed as jersey pocket snacks for my upcoming Easter Arrow ride :)
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #33 on: 24 March, 2013, 10:23:47 pm »
I shall be making a batch this weekend.

The deed is done :)  :thumbsup:  ;D

Pretty much bang on the usual out-turn for my standard recipe (30 oatcakes).  4 of which have already been eaten, 8 of which are in the fridge and 18 are in the freezer, in handy packs of 6.

I suspect I will be defrosting at least one 6-pack before the end of the week :)

NOM NOM NOM!

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #34 on: 31 March, 2013, 02:14:36 pm »
For my lunch today I had a couple of oatcakes and cheese ( not the home made ones since I'm at my parents' house at moment).

I forewent the usual cheddar/ cheshire and tried brie in one and Danish blue in the other.  I was a bit underwhelmed with the brie one, but the Danish blue one was sublime!

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #35 on: 01 April, 2013, 12:59:15 pm »
Another refinement for breakfast today... Thinly sliced flat mushroom, blue cheese, grilled until the cheese bubbles then rolled up. :-D

At what point do I have to ease off on this oatcake festival, no longer able to blame calorie replenishment post- arrow?

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #36 on: 01 April, 2013, 01:01:26 pm »
Cheese & mushroom;that's my flavourite filling :thumbsup:

There is no point at which you have to ease off.Remember if you don't eat you die.
hth

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #37 on: 02 April, 2013, 09:48:52 am »
We bought some oatcakes at the weekend.  There's a fair chance we may have some for tea :thumbsup:
Getting there...

« Reply #38 on: 04 April, 2013, 06:33:02 pm »
Still waiting for a recipe, or three!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #39 on: 05 April, 2013, 09:31:36 am »
We had our oatcakes last night.  Nom.

I do have a recipe, but I've not tried it out yet.
Getting there...

« Reply #40 on: 07 April, 2013, 11:51:59 pm »
For my lunch today I had a couple of oatcakes and cheese ( not the home made ones since I'm at my parents' house at moment).

I forewent the usual cheddar/ cheshire and tried brie in one and Danish blue in the other.  I was a bit underwhelmed with the brie one, but the Danish blue one was sublime!
Staffordshire cheese perhaps?

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #41 on: 09 April, 2013, 12:47:30 pm »
Lunch today:  two oatcakes, toasted until slightly crisp, wrapped round cheesy scrambled eggs with a good pinch of smoked habanero powder... exceeding tasty!

Still waiting for a recipe, or three!

I will be able to oblige with two recipes (both tried and tested) at some point when I have a bit of time.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #42 on: 14 April, 2013, 08:42:38 am »
Oatcakes for breakfast.Bacon &/or cheese fillings for four yacf'ers.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #43 on: 15 April, 2013, 01:21:23 pm »
And jolly fine they were too!

« Reply #44 on: 22 April, 2013, 12:09:27 am »
Have finally been encouraged by this thread to try making something like a Staffordshire oatcake for the first time today. Pamela Sambrook's history of same contains a few recipes. They seem to contain as much wheat as oat meal. Yet the book reports that oat "breads" were considered to taste better than wheat bread in times past in N. Staffs. First attempt, without wheat, produced a thicker oatcake than the current Potteries shop (or even yesterday's Solhull market) offerings. It tasted good, but I'll need to experiment with the quantities as well as the proportions of ingredients. It was much easier to cook than pancakes. Next step is to try to make enough to have some leftovers to eat cold, for lunch in the field. Would a Warwickshire cheese be an inappropriate filling ;)?

Psychler

• Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........
  • 33.2 miles from Steeple Bumpstead
« Reply #45 on: 22 April, 2013, 01:02:26 am »
Today watched "Ade in Britain" where Ade Edmondson visited Staffs and made oatcakes.  Then I saw this thread!

Only ever had Scottish ones, they're a staple in my house!

I'm gonna limp to the pub and drink 'til the rest of me is as numb as my arse.

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #46 on: 22 April, 2013, 01:25:49 pm »
They seem to contain as much wheat as oat meal.

My recipe has a ratio 5:4 of oatmeal:wheat flour.  My mum's recipe is more like 1:1 from memory.

First attempt, without wheat, produced a thicker oatcake than the current Potteries shop

My experience is that they vary in thickness dependign on where they are from.  The ones I've bought in Leek are sturdier/thicker than the ones I've had in Stoke (.... well, Burslem, actually).

Mine land somewhere in between, whilst my mums are a bit thicker, closer to the Leek version, unsurprisingly since that's where she's from.

The type of wheat flour used makes a difference too:  I use a mix of strong wholemeal and strong white whilst my mum uses all wholemeal.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #47 on: 22 April, 2013, 07:43:52 pm »

My experience is that they vary in thickness dependign on where they are from.  The ones I've bought in Leek are sturdier/thicker than the ones I've had in Stoke (.... well, Burslem, actually).

pronounced Boslum

home to recently promoted Port Vale F.C. &  close to the imminently relegated Stoke City F.C.  :demon:

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #48 on: 22 April, 2013, 07:52:53 pm »
OK.  I'm not going to get around to making oatcakes, so I'll have to get them in from the StupidMarket.  Stokie in pub says Sainsbury's.
Agree?
If not where?
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #49 on: 23 April, 2013, 11:56:35 pm »
Second attempt tested today. I'm sticking to wheat-free recipes for a couple of reasons (gluten-free is a factor, though not a personal issue). The lack of gluten proved to be only a minor a problem with rolling up the flatbreads, though they were quite fragile when turning over in the pan. I need to make a sprittle, or use a smaller pan. The oatcake went very well with a hard, dry, acidic Berkswell ewes milk cheese. It seemed a bit soggy, but when I followed with (unusually, not a home made loaf) a wholemeal (or so it claimed...) wheat flour sandwich, the latter seemed very dry, despite a moister cheese, and rather tasteless :o .

It's still more effort than the bread machine. Must try harder ;) .