Author Topic: Kent Corners200 / Kent Fruit & Veg 100 05/07/08  (Read 12398 times)

Kent Corners200 / Kent Fruit & Veg 100 05/07/08
« on: 11 June, 2008, 08:55:15 pm »
Anyone having a go at these?

Martin

Re: Kent Corners200 / Kent Fruit & Veg 100 05/07/08
« Reply #1 on: 11 June, 2008, 10:23:16 pm »
no; London - Thorne innit? seen quite a lot of Kent recently. Having said that I ought to complete the set of El S 200 perm rides with his Dover Dash and Medway Meander which I assume are similar to the Sandwich and Hucking events from last year.

« Reply #2 on: 24 June, 2008, 12:35:42 pm »
I'm thinking of doing the 200 but need to get to Canterbury.

National Rail website says there's a bus running from Faversham to Canterbury on 5th.  Is the best option to carry on to Whitstable and ride to Canterbury from there?  My first train will get me to Whitstable at 7:22 so I should be able to get to the start (approx 10km) on time or just a bit late. 

What's the A280 like?  Profile looked a bit lumpy when I checked the route on bikely.

Last question, anybody know where in Canterbury the start is?

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #3 on: 24 June, 2008, 03:55:04 pm »
Last question, anybody know where in Canterbury the start is?

Last year it was at Polo Farm Sports Club, off the A257.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #4 on: 24 June, 2008, 05:02:33 pm »
Yes, it starts at Polo Farm.

Not sure where your coming from but there's another train service into Canterbury West station. This line comes from London via Ashford.

« Reply #5 on: 06 July, 2008, 09:32:42 am »
            The hall didn't open 'til about 7.55 and as some riders opted for a quick tea before starting I found myself riding on my own for the first few kms. I was soon caught by Mike P before the first checkpoint and we ended up riding the rest of the route together. 
             A very (very) brief shower immediately after Lenham proved to be the only rain of the day apart from the 20 second 'soaking' I received riding to the start. A few minutes later the sun appeared and the clouds disappeared while the brisk wind kept us cool as we headed towards Rye.
             The pancake flat trip from Rye to the foot of Lympne Hill was a blast. Heading north-east with a south-westerly wind is always fun and we reached up to 46km/h on this section with Mike on the front for the most part as I just hung on (or tried to). I always find Lympne Hill difficult as I can never seem to get into a satisfactory climbing rhythm on the steepish slopes after spending so much time on the flat. Then it was the couple of climbs above the Channel Tunnel terminal before more fast stuff along the Alkham Valley road. I felt more comfortable on Whitfield Hill as we headed to the next control at Guston where there was a friendly welcome at the pub. 
             A quick orange juice and a bite to eat and we were off again still aided by a tailwind. I quite like this section as it's pretty quiet and quite relaxing. We made a mental note of the info at Plucks Guttter and were then Thanet ('Cabbage County) bound. After the control in Thanet we turned back into the wind for the section along the sea wall. Actually it was more of a side wind so it didn't prove too troublesome and then all that was left was the final few lumps and bumps back to the finish. 
             Thanks to Mike P for letting me sit on his wheel for about 80% of the ride and for his good company. It was my 6th Kent Corners so I should know the route by now but the curious thing is that the closer it goes to  home the less I remember it.
             Like I said last year it never rains on the Kent Corners (well not much anyway).

« Reply #6 on: 07 July, 2008, 12:25:46 pm »
I ended up getting the first train I could to Herne Bay then riding to the start, which meant I started 25 mins late.  I then missed a turn and did 5km extra before getting to the first checkpoint at 12km out of time.  Q.  What's the difference between a checkpoint and a control.  Made up time by the first control in Lenham and was OK from there.

Caught a few people up at the pub control in Guston but by then was thinking that if I hurried I could get the 7:21 home from Herne Bay so rode the whole thing on my own.  Managed to finish and get back to the station with 3 mins to spare.

The section with a tail wind from Rye to Lympne hill was great but the hill came as a bit of a shock, even though I could see it looming ahead of me for about 10 miles.

I liked the sea wall part too, was expecting loads of people wandering about but it was pretty deserted.

There was a good variety in the route but I thought it had a few too many main road sections in it.

Martin

« Reply #7 on: 04 June, 2009, 05:12:00 pm »
anyone else going for the 200 this year? I've never done this ride before because it's a trek to the start for me but it looks a lovely route especially back along the sea wall to Reculver (although doing it at a deserted silly o clock on the Invicta 300 may not be such a daft idea)

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #8 on: 04 June, 2009, 06:03:02 pm »
I'm hoping to do it, 200k! also doing the fairies fairly flat week before, 150k from bethersden! I thought the  kent corners was on 4th (sat)

Martin

« Reply #9 on: 04 June, 2009, 07:02:40 pm »
I'm hoping to do it, 200k! also doing the fairies fairly flat week before, 150k from bethersden! I thought the  kent corners was on 4th (sat)

it is; I used last year's thread

Grandad

• Once upon a time
« Reply #10 on: 05 June, 2009, 11:16:19 am »
A few years ago we used to make  this one of the  Fairies Saturday clubruns, staying together as a group of about 12 all day.

Last year only 5 did it but hopefully we will get a few more again this year.

« Reply #11 on: 05 June, 2009, 12:26:56 pm »
it looks a lovely route especially back along the sea wall to Reculver (although doing it at a deserted silly o clock on the Invicta 300 may not be such a daft idea)
The sea wall looks lovely from a distance but is extremely bumpy with lots of short tarmac covered concrete sections at all sorts of heights.Its also commonly very windy with no shelter plus birds drop sharp shells on the road surface which can cause punctures.PatC loves this ride but I always find it tough.Jay's food at finish makes it worthwhile doing either ride.The Kent Corners is suprisingly hilly,be aware!

« Reply #12 on: 05 June, 2009, 12:41:25 pm »

The section with a tail wind from Rye to Lympne hill was great but the hill came as a bit of a shock, even though I could see it looming ahead of me for about 10 miles

Lympne hill is extremely steep and seems to go on for far too long.It's made worse by the long flat approach across the marsh that seems to suck the normal hill climbing power from your legs,before you reach the hill base.Motorists like chasing you up the slope too just to see if they can knock you into some of the choice potholes that are a prime feature of Kent roads.
            It's a good idea to get some food at Hawkinge, before you get to the Guston pub control ,as Guston has an extremely limited menu.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #13 on: 05 June, 2009, 05:23:06 pm »
A few years ago we used to make  this one of the  Fairies Saturday clubruns, staying together as a group of about 12 all day.

Last year only 5 did it but hopefully we will get a few more again this year.

Wat a loverly thought, the ctc I ride with think 35k on a sat is a lot ( not all but over 50%)  OOH ! Groucho rears his heads YET again!  :hand:

Grandad

• Once upon a time
« Reply #14 on: 05 June, 2009, 11:22:00 pm »
the ctc I ride with think 35k on a sat is a lot

One of our regular 6 Saturday groups caters for these......................

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #15 on: 06 June, 2009, 02:49:10 pm »
They don't call 'em Coffee Tea & Cakes for nofing! Drives me mad, how CAN people ride SOOOOOOOO slow. :sick:

Grandad

• Once upon a time
« Reply #16 on: 06 June, 2009, 10:48:19 pm »
how CAN people ride SOOOOOOOO slow.

If you can imagine being the wrong side of 60, have done very little exercise for years, have a mountain bike or at best a Halfords hybrid and have just decided that you ought to do something a bit physical, are too nervous to ride on the roads alone and don't know the local lanes or how to avoid the hills you would have no trouble riding at this speed.

We started this ride in March about 4 years ago and by the September over 100 such newbies had been out to try it. A good proportion have stayed and most now ride with the faster/longer groups. Others are quite content with the slower speed and help and encourage the steady flow of newer riders who have been coming to try these rides ever since.

They are also very willing to help with our many races and other promotions - there's a good chance that some will be out on 28th June  either riding our challenging for them Easy Peasy 50k or helping with one of the longer rides. (Plug for the Fairies Flat Five!)

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #17 on: 08 June, 2009, 01:52:30 pm »
It's a good idea to get some food at Hawkinge, before you get to the Guston pub control ,as Guston has an extremely limited menu.

It's a pub.  It sells BEER.  Where the problem ;D

Martin

« Reply #18 on: 08 June, 2009, 10:39:19 pm »

It's a pub.  It sells BEER.  Where the problem ;D

(makes mental note) is it flattish after that?

The NFOSOS (which I've also diaried although am also considering Kraftwerk on the IOW the week after) has a pub as its last control which is an easy 40km pootle from the finish; £2.85 for an OJ and L or £2.40 for a pint of Ringwood best, that's a tricky one....

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #19 on: 09 June, 2009, 11:30:23 am »
It's a pub.  It sells BEER.  Where the problem ;D
(makes mental note) is it flattish after that?

(Scratches memory-branes.  A hale of beetles fall out)

Not too lumpy, as I recall, even by my exacting standards.  I once did a fair chunk of it towing a laden BoB in the dark sans lights1 and didn't have to resort to the 24" gear, anyway.

1 - the ferry decided to sit in mid-Channel fixing a duff engine instead of continuing with the other three.  Gits.

« Reply #20 on: 12 June, 2009, 11:13:04 am »
The Kent Corners is a slightly odd ride that varies so much in its style at different stages that it's hard to maintain a sensible pace throughout. It has lots of moderate climbs between Canterbury and Lenham,is mainly flat till you approach Rye,a long slog to the base of Lympne Hill and lumpy section to Hawkinge and Guston. Getting to Guston involves climbing to get a panoramic view of the Channel Tunnel terminal then after a blast down the Alkham Valley before ascending Whitfield Hill ,which is a very busy road up to a roundabout on the A2. After Guston the lumps continue until you reach Ash then its virtually flat to Westgate with the final selection of small climbs on the road from Reculver to Canterbury.

« Reply #21 on: 12 June, 2009, 03:32:16 pm »
The Kent Corners was my first 200 and my 2 fastest 200s have been on the ride. It's not flat but has a variety of terrain. Enough climbing, although no sustained climbing, to keep you from getting bored and to make you appreciate the flat parts. With 1700m of climbing it would be considered as one of the less hilly 200s as the Audax handbook quotes 2000m of climbing as the amount you should generally expect on a 200.

Like most Audaxes it uses a mix of lanes, minor roads and a few sections of A roads (where there are no other alternatives). I wouldn't describe any of the A roads as very busy by todays (or the regions) standards.

« Reply #22 on: 13 June, 2009, 02:52:14 pm »

The Kent Corners was my first 200 and my 2 fastest 200s have been on the ride.

I  thought las year's fast time was due to a combination of your riding companion and a gale force wind.The ride can be very fast in those circumstances providing you don't run out of food and energy.I have managed to do both in the past and although not quite up to PatC hill climbing standard I am one of the shorter Grimpeur regular riders.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #23 on: 13 June, 2009, 03:11:11 pm »
The sea wall looks lovely from a distance but is extremely bumpy with lots of short tarmac covered concrete sections at all sorts of heights.Its also commonly very windy with no shelter plus birds drop sharp shells on the road surface which can cause punctures.

I tend to avoid the coastal path for this very reason, but I did it a few weeks ago and was very pleased to discover that it has been resurfaced so it is now pretty smooth all the way. I quite enjoyed it even on 23C tyres. Hurrah!

Doesn't help much with the wind, though. I find that if you get a headwind, the coastal path and the stretch across Romney Marsh are the toughest parts of this ride - much worse than any of the hills.

There was also the "off road" section two years ago, enforced by a fairly spectacular road smash that closed the road and left me, Deniece, Tuggo and others having to carry our bikes through a field - the alternative would have been to take a detour of several miles. It would be very bad luck to get a repeat of that incident this year.

I've not done any audaxes this year yet (in fact, my membership seems to have lapsed due to a problem with the standing order not going through) but this is my local one - the start is only a few miles from home - so I may make an effort to turn out for it. Despite the over-familiarity of the roads, it's a very nice ride, not too challenging but with good varied terrain and pleasant scenery. And, as has been mentioned, excellent catering at the finish.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #24 on: 13 June, 2009, 03:29:23 pm »
With 1700m of climbing it would be considered as one of the less hilly 200s as the Audax handbook quotes 2000m of climbing as the amount you should generally expect on a 200.

True, but the figure is skewed by the Romney Marsh and coastal path sections, which add up to about 15km of pancake flatness, so it's really 1700m of climbing in 185km, so really it is very "average" by audax standards - and those 15km are great if you have a tailwind but can be worse than any of the climbs if you have a headwind.

As for those climbs, as well as Lympne Hill, there's the nasty little climb of Newington Hill (up to the viewpoint overlooking the Channel Tunnel terminal), and the stretch from just after Faversham to Lenham, which is not steep but is a relentless uphill slog all the way for several miles until the plummet down Lenham Hill at the end. The rest of it is mostly rolling in a very pleasantly Kentish way.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."