Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3901232 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #25025 on: 19 January, 2022, 09:17:48 pm »
I've read that a cyclist was killed in the Fairstead area and a driver from S. Woodham was arrested. No idea if icy surfaces were anything to do with it.

That's not good news  :(

This was near Norton Heath on that very tight left hander about a mile or so before the 414 (if you're travelling from the north). I suspect it was ice, but obvioulsy moronic motoring can't be ruled out...

Re the cyclist who died in Fairstead:

https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/19859787.tv-surgeon-niall-kirkpatrick-killed-crash-fairstead/
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #25026 on: 22 January, 2022, 11:17:37 am »
Yes and by eck was chilly. For reasons unknown one of my riding buddies needed to be back by 10am so the three of us converged at 8 with a little route in mind

The back roads were rather white and was glad of the wider tyres of my tourer as we proceeded at times rather gingerly. At least was beautiful blue sky

Unfortunately one of my riding buddies had a visitation so had an enforced stop. Was amazed at how light his carbon bike was compared to the steel tourer I was on but still glad to be on my stead

Delay, ice and the carbon stead rider being a tad under dressed so getting cold we cut short out ride.

Silver End drivers were as usual awful but thankfully traffic was generally light and unsurprisingly only sighted one other cyclist heading out on a mountain bike.

Home to a nice brew to warm up. Did just go down the garden and think it's much nicer now but the ponds still frozen so think it's probably a tad icy out.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #25027 on: 22 January, 2022, 03:33:39 pm »
A bit of a struggle today.  Headed for favourite coffee/caek shop but 'cos pandemic they close over lunchtime and I was out too late to make it, given that there was a narsty headwind and it was ~2° colder than my cardiologist would like, bless him. Turned aside about 5k from shop & headed for #2 favourite instead.

Home somewhat frozen.  76k at a miserable average speed whereof I'm saying nowt more.  Lowest I've ever done, I think.

Saw: Great Egret, which as usual waited until I had the camera out before buggering off.

Roll on spring.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #25028 on: 23 January, 2022, 10:14:24 pm »
Not today but yesterday saw me take a spin on my fixer from my place to Tooting, so they could take some of my platelets. 30 miles which, if Strava is to be believed, took me 2:09 elapsed. That's surprisinly fast for me, given there's an amount of suburban traffic involved too.

"Have you done anything strenuous today?" they ask when I check in, with a similar warning when I leave. I didn't think it was strenuous, but I was bollocksed on the way back. I tried to get to Epsom in time for a train for the latter part of the ride but missed it by a few minutes.  I waited the next, which got me to Dorking, then I cycled the last 20km.  Stuff me, they were full value, crawling up the hills like an old git, swearing at the close passing cars on the A24, happier on the lanes, even happier to get home.   
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #25029 on: 23 January, 2022, 10:16:52 pm »
Over the Stang for the first time in a while, it was fab, and a quick coffee and slab of cake at the Dales Bike Centre (it had to be quick, they still only have outdoor seating) saw me back to Darlo.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #25030 on: 23 January, 2022, 11:53:25 pm »
2nd run out to arbroath via forteviot in as many weekends red sauce on the chips this time (mistake)

I'm calling bullshit on the weather forecast that was never a 40kmh SSW that shoved me along the coast and had me greeting on the way back to Dundee and home from St Andrews.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

« Reply #25031 on: 27 January, 2022, 11:25:12 pm »
Up the Cuilt Brae, queens view and Killearn for about 43km. My garmin said "unpaved road" on the cuilt brae which is uncanny as the surface is attrocious.  Its surfaces like that that kill mudguards but I didnt care today as I was on my good/summer bike.  Using it a lot more than usual this winter.

« Reply #25032 on: 28 January, 2022, 08:49:12 am »
42 miles on a Henley-on-Thames circuit with bjorn notp. The longest ride I have done this month on the sun ez3  :)
the slower you go the more you see

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #25033 on: 28 January, 2022, 04:46:09 pm »
Short coffee-shop toddle with El Prez, who was taken with ye shits, poor chap, not once but thrice.  Fortunately our combined stocks of bog roll sufficed.  Otherwise it was cold, windy and damp; but fun.  45k at a rather sedate pace so as not to shake El Prez's guts too much.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #25034 on: 30 January, 2022, 09:02:17 pm »
Middle sized spin on the tnadem trike in the winter sunshine. The main objective of was to tweak the stoker's saddle position to allow longer rides and I think we're getting there.

Stopped at a Thee Pubbe for lunch. Due to the odd layout of Thee Pubbe, we were in a sort of alcove, away from the main bar and part way through lunch another cyclist popped his head in to ask if that was our long barrow outside. We could not tell a lie and after lunch he came outside for a nose.

I've seen him before a Several of times at this Thee Pubbe and have swapped Bob Jackson anecdotes. I'm pretty sure I've seen him on Audaxes too, back when I used to do them. From a glance at his top tube (oo-er) I think his name is Steve Cochrane.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #25035 on: 30 January, 2022, 09:29:01 pm »
Some new lanes round West Kent for me. All nice except one mile of rough surfaced descent which caused some nasty road buzz.
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

« Reply #25036 on: 31 January, 2022, 09:23:05 am »
Round to the docs for a blood test.

This would not be worthy of comment except that it is the first time I have ridden a bicycle (as opposed to sat on one and pedalled, indoors) since my birthday ride of 5th November 2021.

The good: RIDING A BIKE
The bad: Bloody cold, and not without knee discomfort
The ugly: me1

1: This is a joke, not some self deprecating and attention seeking statement of self loathing.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #25037 on: 31 January, 2022, 09:57:56 am »
Well done @fboab.  Hope the knee just needs running in.

Looking at the weather forecast yesterday I decided I'd better ride 'cos this week promises fair-middling dire, though not of Corrie proportions.  Got up a chunk of the hill out of our valley and turned for home again: on Friday I had only done 45 k but I had shoved my heart 18 bpm over cardiologist's CYA limit going up one hill behind El Prez's electric flivver and done a brisk 5k walk on Saturday, so I was feeling a bit zonked before starting.  Zonkeder today. Oh well, that's a whole 6k added to my total for January.

« Reply #25038 on: 01 February, 2022, 09:20:37 pm »
Took the day off - and had fantastic weather: A 90 mile ride into the Chilterns, with Beer and Curry in Henley via Fingest and Northend. Then back to the big smoke.

Incredible light - with an otherworldly sunset: The air glowed red, as if on mars.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #25039 on: 02 February, 2022, 06:23:06 pm »
The usual short potter to my pal Pen's house. The outward journey was sufficiently warm that I put my wind/waterproof and warm gloves in my saddlebag.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #25040 on: 02 February, 2022, 06:39:23 pm »
A brisk 30 miler. Northeast Herts rolling countryside. Having 'restored' my old Kinesis scandium , bedecked in 9 speed Dura ace, this was a shakedown ride. Chainset 53/39 and nine speed 12/27 cassette. Not a very low bottom gear, 20 years ago I must have been fitter. Nevertheless,  it was not cold , I glimpsed the sun and rode across 400 yards of fresh hedge cuttings without picking up any thorns. A lovely ride.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #25041 on: 03 February, 2022, 10:51:34 am »
Rode to a pub and discovered... a group of audaxers! That's three forgotten things rediscovered in one go.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #25042 on: 03 February, 2022, 04:10:06 pm »
Satisfying 85k ride with obligatory patisserie stop halfway.  Damp & windy, walked in something disagreeable when I stopped for a widdle - like very soft clay or mastic. Pedal & cleat recess are full of it. Bleh.

Saw a Great Egret again, unless it was the same one as last time - it was at the same place.  Shame they're so shy, I'd love to get a picture.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #25043 on: 03 February, 2022, 04:54:51 pm »
Two days running and two club rides (different clubs each day) - not too strenuous and enjoyable despite some strong headwinds (usual variety that swing round when you're riding the other way!)

« Reply #25044 on: 04 February, 2022, 10:38:07 am »
Forced myself out last night. Dark. Howling wind. Horizontal sleet.

It was great. Celebrated by going past house to end of the road so I could ride back up the (steepish) short hill.

Today . . . Intend to go out. Might swap the slicks for marathons to get a bit of grip on the snow/hail covered roads though.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #25045 on: 05 February, 2022, 02:30:09 pm »
Well blimey yes. Plotted a route rather then following front wheel to see Layer Marney tower which despite having passed signs for for years have never seen. Took us down some delightful quiet roads which we shared with a couple of horse riders

Unfortunately the wind had picked up so the shorter return was a slog. On one part we struggled to catch what looked like someone just getting round on their bike in civvies and then they pulled over so we realised they were on an ebike. We went past and aware a bike had joined us but didn't look round just assumed it was the ebike rider. Eventually at a junction stopped and an older but clearly fit as a fiddle gent was behind us. Think he appreciated the tow into the wind for the next few miles

I certainly appreciated when I'd taken my turn and could drop in for a bit

« Reply #25046 on: 06 February, 2022, 04:36:26 pm »
Took the opportunity for a spin during a break in the rain today. Good bit of fresh air and even felt too warm at one point. Roll on spring!
As much bridleway as possible and what road sections I had to do were fairly quiet.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/HDg95BsBT11XSPYJ9

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #25047 on: 10 February, 2022, 09:51:07 am »
A jolly time yesterday, FCVO jolly. 83k coffee-shop trot only best coffee-shop was closed for lunch (it's in a village, everyone there is coffee'd by noon), home with a fun wind behind but low on energy until second-best coffee hole. OK in the end, not fast though.  HRM strap buggered so could indulge in conscience-free (aka pyrrhic) climbing.  Somewhat DOA in consequence.

Fun & games #1: At a pee stop on my last ride I trod in some beige substance with my right shoe and once home spent a good hour cleaning it off pedal, shoe-cover, shoe and cleat.  I obviously didn't clean the cleat well enough and the substance was something other than honest mud, because the first time I tried to unclip yesterday it felt as if the shoe was cemented to the pedal - it took real force to unseat it.  It got better later.

Fun & games #2 will be posted shortly in the "fecking-div" thread.

« Reply #25048 on: 11 February, 2022, 10:36:29 pm »
Been out in the morning before working from home in the afternoon (with a meeting at 2pm).
I have set to increase the max square size on the statshunter website. I feel a bit ashamed for falling to such a silly scheme, but after all it creates some motivation to go out and ride more. Ended up doing 91km, had to rush home in order not to miss my call. Great sunshine but freezing cold in the beginning.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #25049 on: 12 February, 2022, 09:17:30 am »
Out on the Moulton F frame.  The FW hub now works in all gears without slippage, but rattles insufferably in direct drive.  I may swap the AM wheel back in.  The ratios of the AM are more useful amyway.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.