Author Topic: Chilli tech bullet camera  (Read 7058 times)

Chilli tech bullet camera
« on: 05 July, 2020, 03:55:26 pm »
Looking at one of these as with the pre order deal only around £33 if ordering two and fed up of close passes or being told off by the wife for shouting at drivers.

Anyone got any experience of them.

Re: Chilli tech bullet camera
« Reply #1 on: 05 July, 2020, 05:02:02 pm »
Quite Honestly . You would be better off  attaching a garden rake  side ways on the bike . Till society see it as a big problem we are stuffed .         
Its More Fun With Three .

« Reply #2 on: 05 July, 2020, 05:32:32 pm »
I bit the bullet (see wot I did there) and ordered one just before the corobsnonsense started, and it arrived about a week ago.
I've not had a chance to give it a thorough test, but some observations (mine is handlebar mounted)
There's no obvious problem with vibration as noted on the reviews of the older model
The resolution isn't good enough to capture number plates of fast overtaking vehicles.
The thing appears solidly built, and the bar mount seems pretty good. You get spare seals for the end cap, and you get two end caps one with holes for sound & rain, and one for waterproofing (and presumably soundproofing too).
The on off button gives a confidence inducing click, and a subtle blue flashing glow when running.
An SD card is not included in the price, and the max size is 32gb (dire warnings on the site about this)
Customer service (twitter & email is non-existent) but the YouTube video channel is all you need - but shows the older model.
There's a chunky bit of sticky velcro for magig hats, I got a free handlebar mount due to the coronadelay.
So far it seems like fair value for money, only the durability of it will tell.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

« Reply #3 on: 05 July, 2020, 06:34:16 pm »
I got one a few years ago. After two uses it developed a fault in that it would charge and run for the time stated in the spec if used straight away but would self discharge and, after sitting for an hour or so, only run not 5 minutes.

I returned it to them and received a replacement. It too developed exactly the same fault and was returned.

Two  days later I received a very abusive reply from them which finished with them saying they didn’t want to do business with me and I’d receive a refund.

Very unpleasant individuals.

« Reply #4 on: 05 July, 2020, 07:21:01 pm »
Any suggestions please. I don't have a massive budget unfortunately.

« Reply #5 on: 06 July, 2020, 07:53:02 am »
Where are you planning to mount them?

A colleague has one of these on his commuter.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01HPXH29Q/

Only complaints he has is battery life, though he carries a spare, for his homeward journey, as they are tiny, and it’s not too good in low light, but then nothing at this price point is going to be.

« Reply #6 on: 06 July, 2020, 07:58:28 am »
I was thinking of having it helmet mounted so it can see what I'm looking at. TBH I'm not expecting a great deal from any camera at night.

Oh and Canny I totally get where your coming from. I've not done a rake yet but a garden fork poking out your pannier when cycling to the allotment seems to work. However it seems our local police from the results one of the other members of this forum get are quite good at following up and prosecuting if appropriate.

« Reply #7 on: 06 July, 2020, 10:47:34 am »
I have SJ4000 front and rear on my trike I have noticed and improvement in the space I'm given when being overtaken

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #8 on: 06 July, 2020, 01:06:03 pm »
I've one, had it since Dec-ish OK in sumer but lower light performance can be a bit hit or miss, if it had a higher frame rate then winter performance would be better. Quite a wide lens which is good in some respects but can have some issues focusing on the very edges and does distort the view a bit as to how close someone is on the sides. Having a bit of bike in view helps set the reference for this however.  With where mine is mounted it is very unlikely to make out the occupants of a car, this is usually due to closing speed and frame rate plus not helped by windscreen reflection.

Battery life OK, I bought a spare battery at the time. I get about 3 hours or so out of a battery, there's no charge indication but I tend to swap it out after about that time.
Internal clock is set using a text file on the card, clock time resets if you take the battery out. Not ideal on a ride so I use a power bank to power the camera whilst I swap out the battery.

It overwrites the data on the card in a loop, duration video segments can be set, I think mine are set to 3mins which gives about 534MB file. Sometimes the loop overwrite stops working and the camera stops working because the SD card is full. I run a 128GB card in mine so this happens not very often but I have had it happen 3 times so far.
There's a very small time gap between files, sub-1 second but you can get unlucky and have an incident happen across that gap (I had that once so far)
Audio recording on it varies, on one bike you can hear my breathing on another you can hear my brakes operating but any verbal is hard to hear, this is mostly down to camera mounting location and wind noise.

The mount provided for the bike is quite chunky, I printed my own ones which work quite well and always ensure the camera is the right way up without a tilt.  Helmet mounting is using a big chunk of velcro I am sure it works but not for me, it would be useful to see where I am looking which the helmet mounting helps with.

This is a rebranded old camera, i.e. the guts in a new case. It's based on the SJ2000 camera here's a review of it http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2013/12/29/sj2000-helmet-cam-letting-the-family-down.html

Delivery is quite slow, he buys stuff to resell in the UK from China and by pre-ordering you are in loading up his container from China.

In terms of a £33 camera it is good for the price IMHO, any more than that and it is less good value I think. I like it's low profile appearance.

In terms of real life usage to report drivers, I think it does it's job. Reporting has a better hit rate at the moment, almost all reports I have done have resulted in some action (mostly course or conditional offer with one prosecution) but it takes a while to do, I figure about 30 mins per report once you have copied the video off the camera (I usually identify the clip and then copy the before and after clips) then spliced the clips together and cut to give a movie with 2mins pre-post incident. You then need to file the Police report with Essex Police online and upload the video to Essex Extra Eyes dropbox account.. a week ago a 2 hour ride took 3 hours after to report the drivers in it - so it depends on the nature of the incident.

Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #9 on: 06 July, 2020, 08:46:51 pm »
Thanks Jiber for the input

« Reply #10 on: 06 July, 2020, 09:16:51 pm »
How about a Crosstour CT8500?

Here are a couple of reviews done by a chap in our club:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebcuUyG ... 7-gvkDGZDI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUCYuHI ... S44ywB2-Ls

« Reply #11 on: 23 September, 2021, 06:49:19 pm »
I've bitten the bullet and decided to get two of these hot items. Well, the latest incarnation, which is the Chilli Tech Pro Bullet Camera. £87 each when you get 2, but what sold it for me was the choice of 6 or 13 hour run time, when paired with an external battery pack. https://chilli-tech.com/content/pro-bullet-camera-for-cycling/

You can use up to 128GB micro SD card. Details and the quick start guide are at https://chilli-tech.com/content/troubleshooting-guide-for-the-bullet-action-camera-for-cyclists/

I got a shock when I received the order receipt. The dispatch date was "20th April". I emailed them to confirm which year that might be, and whether there might be a mistake. I had a swift response, with a bit of humour thrown in, and confirmation that they will send them out 'as soon as possible'. I'm hoping that's quite soon, and not just a holding position. Time will tell, but I'm positive at the moment.

I witnessed a couple of silly acts of driving recently that pushed me into deciding it was a good idea to get camera equipped. But then yesterday I chose to ride along a single track country lane during late afternoon. I was expecting some silliness from the few drivers who would be using the road, but instead I only encountered ultra polite motorists who went above and beyond. It made me wish I had the cameras fitted to then share something more positive than I was expecting I might use the cameras for.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #12 on: 23 September, 2021, 07:04:03 pm »
I bought a bullet cam 'Ablebro'  identical to the chilli-tech one (with spare replaceable battery) off ebay, but although detailed as UK stock, it came from China, and took ages.  Seller kept up the pretense that they'd sent in in Uk and it was 'delayed'.

I use it rearwards facing on a lockblock under bars, gopro* forward.  The ebay cam has a long battery life 5+hrs, but the '1080p' image lacks sharpness, and is just about acceptable in good light.

edit.  My *GoPro Hero 7 Black review, if anyone interested:
https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=119081.msg2616570#msg2616570
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #13 on: 19 October, 2021, 11:25:51 pm »
Quite Honestly . You would be better off  attaching a garden rake  side ways on the bike . Till society see it as a big problem we are stuffed .         
This. So so very this.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

« Reply #14 on: 20 October, 2021, 07:20:04 am »
This. So so very this.

I understand the sentiment, but it's like saying there is no point doing anything about global warming until everyone else does, or no point wearing a mask unless everyone else does.

Could a significant proportion of bikes having cameras play a part in changing that attitude? 

« Reply #15 on: 20 October, 2021, 08:03:15 am »
I think it's viewed as inflammatory. Looking for trouble.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #16 on: 20 October, 2021, 08:08:24 am »
I am planning to get a couple of cameras (mostly for commuting) so there is at least a small chance that my car-driving killer gets prosecuted.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #17 on: 20 October, 2021, 04:15:30 pm »
That is good news, because it might mean he is taken off the road rather than killing me the following week!

For personal self-interest, I do like to hear of more people using cameras in west London

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #18 on: 20 October, 2021, 05:33:14 pm »
Unlikely,

he might be questioned, arrested, charged, but still free to mow you down the next week. The person who mowed me down and fractured my pelvis had a lower fine and number of points on her license than the person who drove into the side of my car as an uninsured driver.  While the system still values property higher than life we're all just taking our chances.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #19 on: 20 October, 2021, 05:55:45 pm »
If the car can be identified, I am certain that my friends will suitably avenge my death.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #20 on: 20 October, 2021, 07:30:41 pm »
No problem , bonny lads . I will knock some sense in to them with my multi purpose garden rake . 
Its More Fun With Three .

« Reply #21 on: 22 October, 2021, 07:43:39 am »
I’ve got to the point of running cameras. Finally tipped over the edge by a local driver who very close passed me 10 miles away and also used full beam to blind me of several occasions as I rode towards him, stationary, on a local lane. I realised it was the same pickup when I took his number.

Reported, but without the video they won’t actually act - it seems to me that a visit and a word would be a good start given the reporting sergeant observed that he ‘clearly had a problem with cyclists’ and, to my mind that could lead to someone getting killed or injured.

I’ve got a pair of Crosstour 4K cameras and a few spare batteries. I seem to get about 2 1/2 hours from a battery at 1080/30 capture with image stabilisation on. They are good enough to read number plates clearly - actually better than I expected for £40 - and come with loads of accessories.

They are blunter than a billet camera though.

Mike

Si

« Reply #22 on: 30 October, 2021, 03:17:37 pm »
I've had a chili bullet for a few years, much the same experience as jiberjaber.
Had to contact them once about a problem - turned out to be user error and they were fine about doing a bit of chilicams 4 dummies.
Only issues:
- clock sometimes resets during recharging which is a bit annoying if you don't notice
- if I don't screw the cap up firmly the batty can lose contact over bumps, which turns the cameraoff and resets the clock
- mount isn't brilliant, I just adapted an old light mount.
- quality not up to more expensive camera standard but have found it ok....even worked ok when took it mtbing.

Main bonus of the camera- I enjoy rides more because instead of getting into a bad mood as some numpty does something stupid and then drives off with out a care in the world, and instead of having the urge to get confrontational with numpties (and thus risking escalation), I just thick "bad luck mate - that's on camera and going off to the polis" and ride on happily.  Police around my area have been pretty good (although may change after a couple cycling friendlyofficers have moved on).

« Reply #23 on: 31 October, 2021, 01:36:46 pm »
Re. battery contact.  I cut a few small rectangles of gorilla duct tape and stuck them to the end of the battery as a spacer.  Works well and doesn't come off when cap is rotated.  Also as expected, if the battery fully drains, the time / date is lost too, so I try and avoid this.

If the unit stops recording clips on SD card, as happened to me.  A card reformat sorted the issue.

I've had a chili bullet for a few years, much the same experience as jiberjaber.
Had to contact them once about a problem - turned out to be user error and they were fine about doing a bit of chilicams 4 dummies.
Only issues:
- clock sometimes resets during recharging which is a bit annoying if you don't notice
- if I don't screw the cap up firmly the batty can lose contact over bumps, which turns the cameraoff and resets the clock
- mount isn't brilliant, I just adapted an old light mount.
- quality not up to more expensive camera standard but have found it ok....even worked ok when took it mtbing.

Main bonus of the camera- I enjoy rides more because instead of getting into a bad mood as some numpty does something stupid and then drives off with out a care in the world, and instead of having the urge to get confrontational with numpties (and thus risking escalation), I just thick "bad luck mate - that's on camera and going off to the polis" and ride on happily.  Police around my area have been pretty good (although may change after a couple cycling friendlyofficers have moved on).
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #24 on: 11 November, 2021, 05:06:20 pm »
I got a shock when I received the order receipt. The dispatch date was "20th April". I emailed them to confirm which year that might be, and whether there might be a mistake. I had a swift response, with a bit of humour thrown in, and confirmation that they will send them out 'as soon as possible'. I'm hoping that's quite soon, and not just a holding position. Time will tell, but I'm positive at the moment.

My patience wears thin quickly. I chased up the order last week, and was advised they thought they had processed the order following that initial exchange of emails, but they'd sort it now. Still no sign, so I have now cancelled the order for a full refund.

I don't mind waiting for goods when there's a communicated delay. I'm not a fan of paying for something that may never arrive.

So back to the drawing board, once again looking at options. Maybe the Cycliq if I can get a good discount.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43