Author Topic: Windows 10 end-of-support (and Windows 11 entry)  (Read 5348 times)

StuAff

• Folding not boring
Re: Windows 10 end-of-support (and Windows 11 entry)
« Reply #50 on: 16 October, 2021, 06:58:19 pm »
I think I read, and I may be wrong, that the security requirements of W11 means that it won't be able to run virtualbox.  That for me means it's a total non-starter.
Not so. I can't find any reference to VirtualBox itself actually not working on W11, the problem seems to be a W11 virtual machine won't work on VB due to the TPM requirements. Oracle are working on a fix.

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #51 on: 16 October, 2021, 07:41:36 pm »
I think I read, and I may be wrong, that the security requirements of W11 means that it won't be able to run virtualbox.  That for me means it's a total non-starter.
Not so. I can't find any reference to VirtualBox itself actually not working on W11, the problem seems to be a W11 virtual machine won't work on VB due to the TPM requirements. Oracle are working on a fix.

Thanks.

I don't care about that way round. I just need to run all my linuxs vm's, and it's easier if I host it on windows.
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

« Reply #52 on: 16 October, 2021, 08:48:21 pm »

You can bet your bottom dollar it runs on Microsoft's hypervisor. If they try to stop it running on everyone else's there will definitely be a court case.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #53 on: 28 October, 2021, 12:08:26 pm »
After the latest motherboard bios update which sorts out the TPM issue on my machine, Windows is now telling me 11 is available to download. Has anyone done this already?
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

DaveJ

• Happy days
« Reply #54 on: 28 October, 2021, 12:30:26 pm »
Yes, it updated OK and its running fine on my home office computer (Ryzen 5 on a B550 chipset).

It actually feels slightly faster than Windows 10 did on this hardware.  I hear there are currently CPU performance issues with AMD CPUs, but this machine is not CPU bound.  The benchmark for the SSD now reports close to the claimed speed, on Windows 10 it was about 30% below.

« Reply #55 on: 28 October, 2021, 05:01:41 pm »
This laptop has TPM 2 but an unsupported CPU (i5 7200U) a dword entry added to the registry disables the cpu check preventing download/install.

Win 11 runs fine, possibly faster than W10 although that seems a bit unlikely!
But not much difference really...

Here:- https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/ways-to-install-windows-11-e0edbbfb-cfc5-4011-868b-2ce77ac7c70e