Author Topic: Android 12  (Read 5162 times)

Re: Android 12
« Reply #25 on: 26 November, 2021, 02:54:28 pm »
They are separate.

I don't like this tbh

On previous phone, if it was making annoying noises, I could pick it up and turn the volume right down to silent. Phone now silent.

With Pixel 6 I have to unlock, pull down menu and select Do Not Disturb.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #26 on: 26 November, 2021, 07:53:36 pm »
They are separate.

I don't like this tbh

On previous phone, if it was making annoying noises, I could pick it up and turn the volume right down to silent. Phone now silent.

Not able to enable turn over to silence?
Regards,

Joergen

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #27 on: 27 November, 2021, 12:24:35 pm »
I am still on android 10 yet I have separate sliders to set media, ringtone, notification and system volumes.

Is it one of the more expensive Samsungs, by any chance?  Apparently the modified Samsung UI does include the separate controls that are actually coded into Android, but disabled by Android.  For those few lucky folk who are convinced they are separate, kindly just Google the issue, and see all the posts complaining that they are indeed NOT separate.  Its bloody stupid, just reinstate it, Android folk!  I want a loud ringtone, and quiet, or sometimes silent, notifications.
Wombat

« Reply #28 on: 27 November, 2021, 01:01:50 pm »
If an S9 is an expensive Samsung then I guess that it is.  It's not a plus version and I don't think that they did the ultra version at that time. 

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #29 on: 30 November, 2021, 10:31:12 pm »
They are separate.

I don't like this tbh

Gestures->flip to shhh

Regards,

Joergen

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #30 on: 30 November, 2021, 11:15:25 pm »
I want a loud ringtone, and quiet, or sometimes silent, notifications.

Quite.  Ringtone should be loud or off, because if someone's calling my phone it's because  a) I'm trying to find my phone  b) it's an emergency  or  c) they're a spammer bastard, and it'll get me in the right mood for telling them to fuck off.  Notifications should be merely loud enough to hear, unless they're off.  Media audio should be quiet so that I don't get blasted by some unexpectedly noisy video.  Telephone audio, on the other hand, should be cranked up to 11 in a desperate attempt to hear what the other person is babbling.

This is all good, as long as there's a global thing you can frob for STFU, which both the DND and vibrate/silent/noise thingers achieve in different ways.

« Reply #31 on: 01 December, 2021, 10:24:19 am »
Thing is, I don't want full DND, I just want to be able to globally switch all notifications to silent only. Then at other times have them make a noise.

Then I don't need to worry about stupid noises when in the middle of a meeting, but will also be made aware that there is a notification.

This seems to be difficult to achieve. Doing it on an app by app basis is bloody painful given that there are dozens of apps.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #32 on: 01 December, 2021, 10:27:26 am »
Very easy on an iPhone. Flip the physical noise on/off button. Don't Android phones have that?

« Reply #33 on: 01 December, 2021, 10:34:54 am »
Very easy on an iPhone. Flip the physical noise on/off button. Don't Android phones have that?

Just toggle to vibrate (or sound off altogether).  I have a Mi Band which will also vibrate and show the message without disturbing anyone else.
The sound of one pannier flapping

« Reply #34 on: 01 December, 2021, 02:00:11 pm »

No, but the physical switch is (a) easy to activate inadvertently and (b) subject to failure of the locking click so switches on and off randomly (cf Miss Ham's 1 year old version)

« Reply #35 on: 01 December, 2021, 03:58:40 pm »
My phone is permanently on silent unless I have agreed that you can call me.

I can't imagine wanting things any other way. I'm all about pull notifications not push.

« Reply #36 on: 01 December, 2021, 04:02:49 pm »
Thing is, I don't want full DND, I just want to be able to globally switch all notifications to silent only. Then at other times have them make a noise.

Then I don't need to worry about stupid noises when in the middle of a meeting, but will also be made aware that there is a notification.

This seems to be difficult to achieve. Doing it on an app by app basis is bloody painful given that there are dozens of apps.

Just pull down do not disturb from top and tap it to on.

« Reply #37 on: 01 December, 2021, 04:47:11 pm »

Which requires unlocking phone etc and blocks vibration alerts.

As I said earlier.

On previous Samsung phone, I just used the volume rocker on the side.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #38 on: 01 December, 2021, 04:57:45 pm »

Which requires unlocking phone etc and blocks vibration alerts.

As I said earlier.

On previous Samsung phone, I just used the volume rocker on the side.

No unlocking required on my phone and as for vibration alerts you can change the do not disturb settings to decide what gets through.

« Reply #39 on: 01 December, 2021, 05:09:35 pm »
Unlocking not required.  Press power button and pull down menu - mute sound or vibrate.  Takes about 2 seconds.  I do this several times a day when in meetings, cinema, gym class, etc.
The sound of one pannier flapping

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #40 on: 01 December, 2021, 07:36:52 pm »

I can't imagine wanting things any other way. I'm all about pull notifications not push.

This works fine in principle, but in practice about 85% of people I (grudgingly) want to receive a phone call from are large bureaucratic organisations like the NHS who call without warning from a withheld number.

« Reply #41 on: 01 December, 2021, 07:39:38 pm »
I just end the incoming call, when I see the person calling, if it’s not convenient and phone isn’t on silent.

« Reply #42 on: 01 December, 2021, 07:55:24 pm »

This works fine in principle, but in practice about 85% of people I (grudgingly) want to receive a phone call from are large bureaucratic organisations like the NHS who call without warning from a withheld number.
Ah yes, but I don't get unsolicited calls from the NHS. I generally know they're going to call, because I've had to chase them to do so.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #43 on: 01 December, 2021, 08:09:06 pm »

Ah yes, but I don't get unsolicited calls from the NHS. I generally know they're going to call, because I've had to chase them to do so.

In addition to that, they tend to phone me up out of the blue to say that the GP's computer wants to see me to check I'm still asthmatic, or would I like a vaccine or something.  Though I've noticed they're increasingly using SMS for that sort of thing (which is just sensible - why waste staff time when the computer can just get on with it).  Not foolproof though - the orthopaedic hospital's systems have been designed by someone with limited imagination, so you tend to get vague messages (in various media) telling you to call "the hospital" about "your procedure", as if people don't have arms *and* legs.

Meanwhile, we've been waiting a week and a half to hear from a gas man.  Barakta got a spate of calls she couldn't answer a few days ago from assorted mobile and Bradford numbers, but we're reasonably sure that wasn't it, as we're nowhere near Bradford.

« Reply #44 on: 03 December, 2021, 01:35:39 pm »
Unlocking not required.  Press power button and pull down menu - mute sound or vibrate.  Takes about 2 seconds.  I do this several times a day when in meetings, cinema, gym class, etc.

You are correct - I don't need to unlock.

However I don't have option for mute or vibrate, just 'Do Not Disturb'.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #45 on: 03 December, 2021, 01:49:10 pm »

Do I need to keep posting screengrabs for you to ignore  ;D

Look in Gestures..... "Prevent Ringing" does what is sounds like you are describing...
when enabled, press Power+vol Up to either switch to vibrate only or Mute ring.  :thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #46 on: 03 December, 2021, 02:26:02 pm »

Do I need to keep posting screengrabs for you to ignore  ;D

Look in Gestures..... "Prevent Ringing" does what is sounds like you are describing...
when enabled, press Power+vol Up to either switch to vibrate only or Mute ring.  :thumbsup:

Option doesn't exist in the Gestures menu on the pixel 6

None of the methods described on the google pixel support page work on the pixel 6

<i>Marmite slave</i>

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #47 on: 03 December, 2021, 04:28:22 pm »
Well this is on a Pixel 4 on Android 12 - if you go in to Settings and in the search box, type "flip to shhh" for example, it should show you the gestures options as a link.  I wouldn't think it has intentionally left out of a Pixel 6 build but you never know.
Regards,

Joergen

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #48 on: 03 December, 2021, 04:31:39 pm »
i don't think I've ever seen 2 installations of Android where the UI was the same...

But I'm no expert, I just have one phone (and a history of several older ones) and one tablet.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #49 on: 03 December, 2021, 04:37:05 pm »
I've just checked the Google online help and it looks like the power button & vol up gesture should work, the only difference it states is where there is a reliance on hardware (eg the Pixel 4 front radar or squeeze sides) to do something....

https://support.google.com/pixelphone/answer/7443425?hl=en-GB#zippy=%2Csee-how-to-put-your-phone-on-vibrate
Regards,

Joergen