Author Topic: Timetabling a group of volunteers  (Read 725 times)

Timetabling a group of volunteers
« on: 10 November, 2021, 05:24:55 pm »
I have been asked to look at a solution for timetabling our group of volunteers' activities.
Our current system of using an online calendar is creaking at the seams, and no longer fit for purpose.

There are (say) a couple of dozen volunteers; there are (say) ten locations and there are (say) five different jobs. Any volunteer can do any job at any location on any day. Multiple volunteers can do the same job at a single location on the same day & a single volunteer can do a single job at a single location on any given day. Not every job has to be filled, not every day needs a volunteer presence.

Volunteers need to be able to register themselves online for a job, at a location on their chosen date(s), and, to see who they will be working with, if anyone. The Boss needs to be able to see who is working where, when and doing what (in the future and retrospectively).

This seems to be an ideal application for a straightforward database, or even a spreadsheet - that's within my skillset, but it's not withing my skills to get it online, and robust.

Is there an online service, or an app, to allow this sort of scheduling? Preferably free or very low cost (of course!)

To put it in cycling terms : Lets say I've got an audax event running over several days, and I've got lots of volunteers, and I want them to do jobs (serving food, stamping cards, washing up, maintenance etc) at a number of different controls - how can they register to do the jobs and how can I see who is doing what, where and when?
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

Re: Timetabling a group of volunteers
« Reply #1 on: 10 November, 2021, 06:10:39 pm »
There are loads. Volunteer management is a burgeoning area for online services. In addition, there are wider services that include rotas and so on. For example, we use a paid service in our church that includes this.

Re: Timetabling a group of volunteers
« Reply #2 on: 21 November, 2021, 07:24:45 pm »
Three Rings might work for you - originally developed for telephone helpline volunteers, but you can define your own roles. Pretty simple from a user's point of view, and I believe that implementation was straightforward.

www.threerings.org.uk