Author Topic: Disposing of old bike light batteries  (Read 1260 times)

Disposing of old bike light batteries
« on: 21 November, 2021, 11:19:32 am »
I've found a couple of old batteries for Chinese Cree lights, which I haven't used in years (and no longer appear to have the matching lights for ???). I'd like to dispose of them safely.

This is the type of thing I'm talking about:

I'm not sure whether I can simply take these to a supermarket battery recycling bin, or whether I need to dismantle them first - I believe there are 4 cells inside, wrapped in what appears to be plastic and cardboard. However, I don't want to start pulling them apart if it might result in a fire...

Any ideas on what I can do with them?

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
Re: Disposing of old bike light batteries
« Reply #1 on: 21 November, 2021, 11:58:04 am »

Cut the cable off, being careful not to short the wires. Then Drop in the battery recycling at your local supermarket.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #2 on: 21 November, 2021, 12:04:16 pm »

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3 on: 21 November, 2021, 06:07:28 pm »
You might also be able to put them out with your household recycling. Check with your local council.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #4 on: 21 November, 2021, 06:34:34 pm »
Our local library has a thing for small wee recycling

Feel free to make jokes about the above statement

« Reply #5 on: 22 November, 2021, 09:40:59 pm »
Our local library has a thing for small wee recycling

Feel free to make jokes about the above statement

That’d be taking the piss

« Reply #6 on: 24 November, 2021, 11:13:44 am »
Tried dismantling one. Smoke came out. :facepalm: Now I have a half-dismantled battery I'm scared to do anything with! It's in the (stainless steel) sink...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7 on: 24 November, 2021, 12:19:41 pm »
*passes the Explosion Containment Pie Dish™*

« Reply #8 on: 24 November, 2021, 12:47:37 pm »
I have a similar issue with a battery from a hedge trimmer.  Supermarket etc recycling is for common domestic batteries, and of course the slot in the box is not going to take this big lump.  On stripping the cells I find they are series/parallel nicads, even separated I cannot put these in those boxes either due to likelihood of shorting.  I put the cells back in the original plastic housing for safety, and one day I will take it to the tip to go with the other batteries there.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #9 on: 24 November, 2021, 01:04:08 pm »
As above, check your local recycling collection.
Find out what you can and can’t put in your black recycling box

Don't put your recyclable items in a black bag or bin liner as they will not be taken away.

You can put in:
batteries: including household rechargeable, they must be in a small clear untied bag
I don't think we're exceptionally advanced here.

« Reply #10 on: 24 November, 2021, 03:18:43 pm »
I have a similar issue with a battery from a hedge trimmer.  Supermarket etc recycling is for common domestic batteries, and of course the slot in the box is not going to take this big lump.  On stripping the cells I find they are series/parallel nicads, even separated I cannot put these in those boxes either due to likelihood of shorting.  I put the cells back in the original plastic housing for safety, and one day I will take it to the tip to go with the other batteries there.

I think this is what I'm going to end up doing (if the local tip actually takes such things: they've been severely restricting what sorts of waste they'll take since they had a fire back in the summer...I don't want to cause another one! :o).

As above, check your local recycling collection.
Find out what you can and can’t put in your black recycling box

Don't put your recyclable items in a black bag or bin liner as they will not be taken away.

You can put in:
batteries: including household rechargeable, they must be in a small clear untied bag
I don't think we're exceptionally advanced here.

You're more advanced than us. ;D

What can I recycle in my blue bin?

Please use the blue bins to recycle card packaging, cardboard boxes, magazines, newspapers, comics, office paper, brochures, yellow pages, junk mail, envelopes, drinks cans, food tins, empty aerosols cans and plastic bottles. Please do not place any other items into the blue bins.

N.B. "Blue bins" are our only recycling bins. The general waste bins are, inexplicably, green.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #11 on: 24 November, 2021, 03:40:59 pm »
Well then you can post them to me and I'll put them in my black box.  ;) :hand: :hand: :hand: