Author Topic: "non-oil chain" . . . views  (Read 1063 times)

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
"non-oil chain" . . . views
« on: 29 November, 2021, 07:40:21 am »
A bike I have in for servicing has been fitted, by Halfords when last serviced, with a Clarke "non-oil chain" - allegedly Teflon coated etc.     The chain is as dry as a bone with some minor surface rust . . .   The machine is a cheap-ish Boardman MTB that doesn't get ridden off-road further than grassy fields.

Any thoughts/views on these chains - the combination of Clarke products and Halfords reeks of snake-oil to me!

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: "non-oil chain" . . . views
« Reply #1 on: 29 November, 2021, 08:01:40 am »
Clarks used to make half decent cables but my experience of their other stuff is not good.

Clarks is cheap crap from Halfords, not to be confused with Clarke, which is cheap crap from Machine Mart  ;D
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

robgul

« Reply #2 on: 29 November, 2021, 08:19:57 am »
Clarks used to make half decent cables but my experience of their other stuff is not good.

Clarks is cheap crap from Halfords, not to be confused with Clarke, which is cheap crap from Machine Mart  ;D

Indeed, I meant Clarks for the bicycle chain - no "e" - and Clarke, as in cheapo tools, owns Machine Mart (or in other words they are one and the same)

Clarks actually describe the chain as being "self-lubricating"

« Reply #3 on: 29 November, 2021, 08:22:32 am »
I would have thought the teflon would wear off very quickly, like within minutes.

« Reply #4 on: 29 November, 2021, 08:56:14 am »
Oil-free chains on Halfords BSOs have been a thing for decades.

robgul

« Reply #5 on: 29 November, 2021, 09:08:11 am »
Oil-free chains on Halfords BSOs have been a thing for decades.

It was fitted to replace the original chain . . .   in fairness to the rest of the bike, Boardman a.k.a. Halfords, it's not that bad.   I shall obviously be cleaning and oiling said chain, and advising the customer to maintain the lube regime.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #6 on: 29 November, 2021, 09:57:09 am »
I've had a Clarks chain, where the links actually fused together in about a week.  I've also had Clarks disc brake pads, where by the pad has come off the backing , mid ride, leaving with a rear brake only. (bit of a surprise finding this out half way down a steep hill.... :o)  Twice this happened to me.