Author Topic: Tour de France 2018  (Read 133820 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: Tour de France 2018
« Reply #875 on: 26 July, 2018, 05:53:29 pm »
Stage 18: Trie-sur-Baïse > Pau

(click to show/hide)
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Samuel D

« Reply #876 on: 26 July, 2018, 06:06:59 pm »
FX: […], Ju 87 in a dive, J Hendrix doing 'Wild Thing'

LOL.

« Reply #877 on: 26 July, 2018, 06:17:38 pm »
Give Bethany [8] a few more years and it will be [FX: nuclear explosion, Molesworth 2 playing 'Fairy Bells' on the skool piano*]

* Never 2 be forgoten by those who hav heard it.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #878 on: 26 July, 2018, 06:47:49 pm »
Bethany [8], to everyone's enormous relief, is an only child...

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #879 on: 26 July, 2018, 08:15:35 pm »
Heads-up in case you missed the announcement: live coverage of the final stage for BRITONS is on ITV1, not ITV4.

« Reply #880 on: 26 July, 2018, 09:15:11 pm »
Hopefully that will mean "accident at work?" shitverts will be reduced to below 30 per hour.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #881 on: 26 July, 2018, 09:20:15 pm »
My year is complete :D
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #882 on: 26 July, 2018, 09:29:54 pm »
Hopefully that will mean "accident at work?" shitverts will be reduced to below 30 per hour.

Maybe, but are you so MoneySuperMarket that you feel EPIC?

Be careful what you wish for...
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #883 on: 26 July, 2018, 09:52:42 pm »
I would feel EPIC if it wasn't for the 24 pre-owned* watches I have strapped to my arms.

*Surely 'second hand' is a much better term for a watch seller?

« Reply #884 on: 26 July, 2018, 09:54:39 pm »
;D

« Reply #885 on: 26 July, 2018, 10:37:50 pm »
My 60th is coming up.

I live in fear of a snotty bloke with a baby elephant turning up and ruining a surprise party by criticising the peanuts.

Samuel D

« Reply #886 on: 26 July, 2018, 11:13:50 pm »
These ads sound amazing. However, I bet you don’t have Bernard Hinault advertising Easy Shower. It’s like CP Sagan’s Hansgrohe ad except no story is even attempted and the camera lighting is like something you’d see on a takeaway menu.

« Reply #887 on: 26 July, 2018, 11:17:35 pm »
These ads sound amazing. However, I bet you don’t have Bernard Hinault advertising Easy Shower. It’s like CP Sagan’s Hansgrohe ad except no story is even attempted and the camera lighting is like something you’d see on a takeaway menu.

So just like the average pr0n flick, then? :demon:

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #888 on: 26 July, 2018, 11:20:47 pm »
I can't remember a single shitvert in more tours than I care to remember that's actually been for either a sponsor's The Product*or anything cycling-related.  Except someone pumping up a tyre in the current godaddy.com one and the Watchfinder-General pedalling around at 6 rpm.

* not even Dingovision

« Reply #889 on: 26 July, 2018, 11:40:01 pm »
Motorola (back when they made mobile phones)?

Come to think of it, even when BRITISH cycling races have been on the telly, the team sponsors weren't shitvertised as far as I can recall either.

« Reply #890 on: 26 July, 2018, 11:47:20 pm »
There were those German coffee flavoured hair product ads a few years ago with Kittel and others showing off their acting prowess.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #891 on: 26 July, 2018, 11:48:38 pm »
There's still those on for the Katucha-German Hair Product team.

Is Sagan still going on about how good Bora's extractor fans are on Eurosport?
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #892 on: 27 July, 2018, 12:13:04 am »
Don't have my copy of Steven Pinker's Language Instinct to hand, but pretty sure Tour de Frances is correct, as 'Tour de France' is the single entity you are making plural. It's similar to why we say Mickey Mouses (if you saw two at Disney, say) rather than Mickey Mice.

No, that can’t be right. There’s only one Mickey Mouse.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #893 on: 27 July, 2018, 12:16:33 am »
I can't remember a single shitvert in more tours than I care to remember that's actually been for either a sponsor's The Product*or anything cycling-related.  Except someone pumping up a tyre in the current godaddy.com one and the Watchfinder-General pedalling around at 6 rpm.

* not even Dingovision

Well on Dutch Eurosport we get a lot of adverts for Bora kitchen stuff, and what's most annoying are the Alpicine ones for their caffiene shampoo. They have 2, one is the riders at the team bus with a pep talk about how important their hair is, and the other starts off with "YOU'RE A MAN" and just results in me swearing at the TV. Ironically, these are Germans, advertising a German product, on Dutch TV, in English...

Every advert break also finishes with an advert for Canyon bikes.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #894 on: 27 July, 2018, 03:23:35 am »
Now I come to think of it, I did see a shampoo ad the other day featuring notable Tour drop-out M Kitteh, or a fairly convincing lookalike.  But I've no idea what The Product is for half the sponsors of the Tour teams.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #895 on: 27 July, 2018, 06:52:50 am »
Now I come to think of it, I did see a shampoo ad the other day featuring notable Tour drop-out M Kitteh...
It's caffeine flavoured shampoo from Germany. $Deity alone knows what effect caffeine is supposed to have on yer bonce.  For myself, now where did I put my tinfoil hat?, I think it's a cunning plan by the Germans to get even more caffeine* into their riders without the UCI/WADA/whoever sussing what's going on.  The shampoo thing is merely an elaborate distraction op. being run by the Bund Deutscher Radfahrer cos it's not a real product at all.  I mean, how can it be?  Really?  Caffeine flavoured shampoo? S'gotta be a blind.  No one would fall for such obvious guff would they? Even P. T. Barnum would be appalled.

Shitverts.  The mute button is your friend.

*One is well aware that caffeine is no longer on the naughty list, but this my conspiracy theory and, *checks over shoulder* it may not be just caffeine eh?
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #896 on: 27 July, 2018, 08:08:57 am »

Shitverts.  The mute button is your friend.

Or record it and skip the adverts. We usually start watching the recording around 30 mins after the programme starts so that we reach the end just about the same time as it finishes (if that makes sense).
Hear all, see all, say nowt

« Reply #897 on: 27 July, 2018, 08:44:37 am »
If you have access, S4C had ad breaks at different times to ITV4 so you spend a few minutes learning a new language.

(it’s also in HD on freesat, which ITV4 isn’t)

« Reply #898 on: 27 July, 2018, 09:19:13 am »
I just hope you've all thought about how you are going to pay for your funerals, and what you'll do if (when) you get cancer.

Yes, stop your bitching. The live daytime shitverts are infinitely more depressing than the ones shown during the evening highlights.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #899 on: 27 July, 2018, 09:19:47 am »
Yesterday the shitverts livened up the coverage no end.
It is simpler than it looks.