Author Topic: Tour de France 2018  (Read 135183 times)

Re: Tour de France 2018
« Reply #975 on: 28 July, 2018, 10:47:50 pm »
Joking apart, the blurb on Pinarell's web site says something about the downtube on the Bolide TT frame being redesigned to better accommodate a water bottle, which explains the shape.

http://cdn2.cyclist.co.uk/sites/cyclist/files/styles/insert_main_wide_image/public/4/36//pinarello_bolide_down_tube.jpg?itok=rUIXRs2g
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #976 on: 28 July, 2018, 11:08:51 pm »
Question: moto cam zoomed in on GT's down tube and it seemed all square and looked like it had a solar panel in it. ???
Any of you clever clogs can enlightenen me?
It's the access panel for a di2 junction box located inside the frame.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #977 on: 29 July, 2018, 01:22:39 am »
Awards Time!

(click to show/hide)
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #978 on: 29 July, 2018, 06:08:17 am »
Question: moto cam zoomed in on GT's down tube and it seemed all square and looked like it had a solar panel in it. ???
Any of you clever clogs can enlightenen me?

It is sculpted for a bidon carrier if one is used, but it’s also the port for the Di2 brain

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #979 on: 29 July, 2018, 08:31:35 am »
"bidon carrier" ??!?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #980 on: 29 July, 2018, 09:11:03 am »

Lots of pictures of blue tits and dragons wearing yellow jumpers on bookface today. Big news here in Wales.

It's caffeine flavoured shampoo from Germany. $Deity alone knows what effect caffeine is supposed to have on yer bonce.  For myself, now where did I put my tinfoil hat?, I think it's a cunning plan by the Germans to get even more caffeine* into their riders without the UCI/WADA/whoever sussing what's going on.  The shampoo thing is merely an elaborate distraction op. being run by the Bund Deutscher Radfahrer cos it's not a real product at all.  I mean, how can it be?  Really?  Caffeine flavoured shampoo? S'gotta be a blind.  No one would fall for such obvious guff would they?

It's not caffeine flavoured, it actually contains caffeine.  The manufacturer claims that scientific studies show that caffeine can be absorbed by the hair follicles, which activates the follicles, slowing or preventing hair loss. This is why it is a products specifically aimed at men*.  There is also a women's product, aimed at post-menopausal women, with a completely different name (and marketing strategy).

*this isn't mentioned in the TV advert because the Advertising Standards Agency say they can't

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #981 on: 29 July, 2018, 09:24:46 am »
I’ve just had a thought.

Ok, I warned you all.

That nice Welsh chap who is wearing the snazzy yellow pullover has something of a reputation for crashing at the most inopportune moments. Indeed, it was all the talk earlier on when people were saying thinks like it he’s not crashed yet.

I just thought I’d mention it because I don’t think he’s crashed yet has he?

I did warn you that I’d had a thought.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #982 on: 29 July, 2018, 09:37:11 am »
G had a moment 15km into yesterday's stage - hopefully that's got it out of his system :) 

(he was visibly cautious on all the descents after that.)

Given how he's generally the coolest, least giving-a-sh1t rider in the race, it was REALLY nice to see him blubbing yesterday; and the reunion with wife Stacey* was a delight to watch.

We've had some great moments in this year's race - not a normal Le Tour at all :)

*this is a joke about ficitonal TV Welsh people - sorry.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #983 on: 29 July, 2018, 09:38:08 am »
He had a sphincter wobbler braking into a wet corner yesterday. Up to that point he was fastest but thereon was visibly cautious and so came in 3rd. Will that do?

Xpost!
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #984 on: 29 July, 2018, 09:39:43 am »
And Alpecin are not the only ones encouraging blokes to wash their hair with Coca-Cola doing caffeinated shampoo these days.  You can get caffeine Head And Shoulders too.

I want to know what brand TV's Super D Millar uses, so I can buy something else :demon:

« Reply #985 on: 29 July, 2018, 09:42:22 am »
Agreed. A really fun tour to watch. Pro cycling really does need some sort of financial equality between teams, however.

Totally disagree with Dan Martin winning the combativity award.

It should have gone to Moscon.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #986 on: 29 July, 2018, 10:09:06 am »
Agreed. A really fun tour to watch. Pro cycling really does need some sort of financial equality between teams, however.

+1

Lotto-Jumbo seem to be developing into genuine GC contenders, but I can't see them ever toppling Sky as they just don't have the same depth to their squad. It was probably a mistake letting George Bennett do the Giro this year - an extra mountain domestique of his calibre might have made a big difference for them at the Tour. Mitchelton-Scott are not too far off either, but obviously have the same problem.

Quintana was a disappointment again. His Giro win looks more and more like a fluke with every passing year. Movistar need to get behind Landa as their sole team leader and build a team around him. Although the rumour is that Landa is already dissatisfied and is off to Astana. In which case, they need to back Soler, because he looks like more of a potential GC threat than Quintana these days.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #987 on: 29 July, 2018, 10:14:11 am »
If Landa does go to AS-TA-NA, whither Fuglsang, who was also a bit Rubbish is this year's Tour?

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #988 on: 29 July, 2018, 10:20:59 am »
Lotto-Jumbo seem to be developing into genuine GC contenders, but I can't see them ever toppling Sky as they just don't have the same depth to their squad. It was probably a mistake letting George Bennett do the Giro this year - an extra mountain domestique of his calibre might have made a big difference for them at the Tour. Mitchelton-Scott are not too far off either, but obviously have the same problem.

I wonder what they could have done with both Yates twins? (of course having let them both peak for this race, not the Giro!) They might have used the same "old 1-2" tactics on the long climbs that the Sky duo used to totally clobber Tom. Over 3 weeks I think Sky would still be on the top step, but it might have been a hell of a scrap - especially in the Alpes before the littl'uns tired themselves out!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

citoyen

« Reply #989 on: 29 July, 2018, 10:22:01 am »
If Landa does go to AS-TA-NA, whither Fuglsang, who was also a bit Rubbish is this year's Tour?

If Kittel retires, he'd be a natural replacement to advertise hair products for Katusha-Alpecin.

« Reply #990 on: 29 July, 2018, 12:18:40 pm »

+1

Quintana was a disappointment again. His Giro win looks more and more like a fluke with every passing year. Movistar need to get behind Landa as their sole team leader and build a team around him. Although the rumour is that Landa is already dissatisfied and is off to Astana. In which case, they need to back Soler, because he looks like more of a potential GC threat than Quintana these days.

He's won the Vuelta as well and the 6 GT podiums to his name suggest it wasn't a fluke (though the field was fairly thin that year). But he definitely needs to change something to get back to where he was.

« Reply #991 on: 29 July, 2018, 12:37:56 pm »
Hooray for G Thomas, the big cry baby :)

Eurosport showed several seconds worth - and refrained from making any sort of comment. Some images don't need words and some pro ex-riders are still sufficiently pro ro remember what it's all about.

« Reply #992 on: 29 July, 2018, 12:46:22 pm »

But you have to make it to the finish to collect so, although Moscon deserved an honourable mention in despatches, he can't get a post-humorous award.

« Reply #993 on: 29 July, 2018, 12:49:34 pm »

But you have to make it to the finish to collect so, although Moscon deserved an honourable mention in despatches, he can't get a post-humorous award.

Whoosh....

;)

« Reply #994 on: 29 July, 2018, 12:54:13 pm »
I’ve just had a thought.

Ok, I warned you all.

That nice Welsh chap who is wearing the snazzy yellow pullover has something of a reputation for crashing at the most inopportune moments. Indeed, it was all the talk earlier on when people were saying thinks like it he’s not crashed yet.

I just thought I’d mention it because I don’t think he’s crashed yet has he?

I did warn you that I’d had a thought.

He's probably mapped the position of every telephone pole and had a domestique watching to make sure that Warren Barguil doesn't get closer than 10m.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #995 on: 29 July, 2018, 03:34:44 pm »
In the commentary booth, SD Millar appears to have morphed into Bart Mancuso . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #996 on: 29 July, 2018, 03:37:20 pm »
Does anyone else find the last day dull?  I think 1989, when the wrong guy won (from the French point of view) was the end of a competitive last day, wasn't it?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

citoyen

« Reply #997 on: 29 July, 2018, 03:42:15 pm »
He's won the Vuelta as well and the 6 GT podiums to his name suggest it wasn't a fluke (though the field was fairly thin that year). But he definitely needs to change something to get back to where he was.

Yeah, fair enough, I forgot he'd won the Vuelta as well. Although IIRC he achieved it by beating a tired post-Tour Froome and a decidedly below par Contador. And Chaves, who is another rider who regularly promises much but ultimately disappoints.

And most of his podiums were achieved without looking like he was in any real danger of winning outright - eg the 2013 Tour, where the summit finish on stage 20 was billed before the race as being the big decider, but ultimately Quintana went into it with a deficit of more than five minutes and only managed to pull back 30 seconds of that. And last year's Giro, where Dumoulin was able to stop for a toilet break without losing time to him.

One of the changes he needs to make is to break his habit of losing time stupidly on flat stages - as he did yet again this year. You can put that partly down to bad luck but he's done it too many times for it to be coincidence.

citoyen

« Reply #998 on: 29 July, 2018, 03:44:08 pm »
Does anyone else find the last day dull?

I don't usually bother tuning in until the last few laps of the Champs-Elysees, when it becomes the ultimate crit race.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #999 on: 29 July, 2018, 03:48:59 pm »
Sagan's got a snottygreen counter.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight