Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 517607 times)

Re: MEMWNS Miscellany
« Reply #425 on: 08 February, 2016, 02:47:17 pm »
Here is my roughly planned route for the trip to the Cycle Clinic next Saturday. I am planning on leaving around 8 am but flexible on that, just need to be in Glemsford while the shop is open!

I did throw in a little diversion up Spout Lane just north of Bures, I thought that Sudbury to Bures piece looked a little flat!

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/12082210

Looks like you'll be coming past my new front door in Melford. Wave as you pass (52.8km in, on your right). I'll probably be at work, as usual!
:thumbsup: One day we'll make sure we catch you are home!

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #426 on: 08 February, 2016, 05:35:17 pm »
Excellent....and what was the final verdict? Pacenti Rims, Novatec Hubs and Sapim Race Black spokes?

A Shimano dynohub I'm getting from Rose (*) plus 32H offset BORG22/Kinlin rims, black Sapim Force spokes and a Shimano XT M8000 rear hub for £250 + shipping if I don't collect in person.

(*) if anyone wants anything from Rose please shout so we can share the shipping costs.

« Reply #427 on: 08 February, 2016, 07:55:51 pm »
 :thumbsup: Excellent!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #428 on: 12 February, 2016, 01:52:28 pm »
Excellent....and what was the final verdict? Pacenti Rims, Novatec Hubs and Sapim Race Black spokes?

A Shimano dynohub I'm getting from Rose (*) plus 32H offset BORG22/Kinlin rims, black Sapim Force spokes and a Shimano XT M8000 rear hub for £250 + shipping if I don't collect in person.

(*) if anyone wants anything from Rose please shout so we can share the shipping costs.

To save on faffage Malcolm is supplying everything including dynohub and rotors so I won't be placing an order with Rose.  Malcolm is now in possession of a few hundred of my plastic pounds. 

He is looking forward to seeing some of you tomorrow and plans on buying extra cake, I said that was probably a good idea   :thumbsup:

The Retiree

• Zappi Clothing Ambassador - http://zappi.clothing/
« Reply #429 on: 12 February, 2016, 01:56:53 pm »
He is looking forward to seeing some of you tomorrow and plans on buying extra cake, I said that was probably a good idea   :thumbsup:

Or not as 'rain forces play' in Ted's case :facepalm:

« Reply #430 on: 12 February, 2016, 02:36:22 pm »
 :thumbsup:

I better not have breakfast if the weather looks bad, there might be cake to consume and more gear ratio discussions to have!

« Reply #431 on: 12 February, 2016, 04:21:04 pm »
So in my fixed gear information frenzy I end up on Sheldon Brown's website (after many previous visits) trying to understand a bit more about the whole gearing thing that Tom was explaining to me on Wednesday.

I manage to bump into this ARTICLE and it turns out the author is not our Tomsk but it took a fair while to figure that out!

It's a US Tomsk Imposter!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #432 on: 15 February, 2016, 07:09:36 pm »
Regarding the Up North Tour I have been wittering on about ...

It looks like the riders will be me, Tomsk, bobb and huggy.  But if you suddenly wanna come just let me know, nothing is set in stone yet although I have started to book accommodation.

And, if you're reading this and thinking "What the fook is going on?" get in touch with me and I will explain.  But be warned, we are contemplating a fully ladened tour to be conducted at a gentlemanly but reasonable clip going over some seriously lumpy bits.  Suffice to say I have started training already (*)!

(*) Go on then, let's be hearing your smartarsed remarks!

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #433 on: 15 February, 2016, 07:38:25 pm »
It's a US Tomsk Imposter!

Most of the Deakins tribe appear to have emigrated en-masse from Radnorshire to the USA in the early C19th, across the Appalacians to Kentucky, Ohio and Tennessee [according to my Dad's research]...apart from my ancestors, who only made it as far as Brum. They were blacksmiths - who found work on the railways/railroads. Incidentally, my Grandfather used to do wrought iron designs for his half-brother, another relative was a designer at a Staffordshire pottery.

...Interesting convergent evolution of the two Tom D fixies.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #434 on: 15 February, 2016, 08:05:05 pm »
Perhaps riding fixed is genetic. I bet all you fixie weirdos are related!

« Reply #435 on: 15 February, 2016, 09:57:11 pm »
Regarding the Up North Tour I have been wittering on about ...

It looks like the riders will be me, Tomsk, bobb and huggy.  But if you suddenly wanna come just let me know, nothing is set in stone yet although I have started to book accommodation.

And, if you're reading this and thinking "What the fook is going on?" get in touch with me and I will explain.  But be warned, we are contemplating a fully ladened tour to be conducted at a gentlemanly but reasonable clip going over some seriously lumpy bits.  Suffice to say I have started training already (*)!

(*) Go on then, let's be hearing your smartarsed remarks!
do you mean TRAINing

« Reply #436 on: 15 February, 2016, 10:11:19 pm »
I've done it, I have ordered a set of Durano Plus in 28C, yep that is right, wired bead and all!

I need to get back on the road with something I know won't puncture for while. I'll see how they go and consider moving them over to the Fixie when it arrives and trying out those lovely S-Ones I have on the Croix.

I think if I put the Schwalbes on now and I end up with another gash that won't seal I may have some form of episode!

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #437 on: 16 February, 2016, 12:31:58 pm »
Ill be interested to see how they go Nik, I have always used the Durano+ Duo and I've never a visitation yet with them, but yearn for some 28mm love...
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

« Reply #438 on: 16 February, 2016, 12:37:31 pm »
... those lovely S-Ones ...

These S-Ones you refer to.  They're tubeless and made by Schwalbe?  And they are what Steve Abraham used?  And he didn't have much trouble with them?

« Reply #439 on: 16 February, 2016, 12:47:46 pm »

These S-Ones you refer to.  They're tubeless and made by Schwalbe?  And they are what Steve Abraham used?  And he didn't have much trouble with them?

I have just realised who you are when it comes to tyres - Mr Know it All from Harry Enfield and Chums - "Only me ! Oh, you don't want to do it like that, you want Marathon pluses on that bike"

Then later when it all goes to rats after the Marathon pluses have been duly fitted, "Now, I do not believe that you wanted to do that, did you".
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

Oscar's dad

« Reply #440 on: 16 February, 2016, 12:59:06 pm »
 ;D

Once I have two wheelsets for Fred I can have the best all worlds. A tried and tested (by me) option when dependability is required. And then an experimental, lighter weight option.

Madness and method.

« Reply #441 on: 16 February, 2016, 01:02:41 pm »
Ill be interested to see how they go Nik, I have always used the Durano+ Duo and I've never a visitation yet with them, but yearn for some 28mm love...
Yep, will do. I agree with the reliability, I had the Durano's on the trek for a long while and the only visitation I had was a double puncture when I hit a pothole really really hard, as in new rim hard. I didn't see the 28's previously as I was looking at the folders but I don't need folding tyres, it makes no difference.

Having ridden lighter more supple tyres I do think the Durano Plus is a bit dead but hey, Saturday's puncture really Pissed me off and I want something I know is reliable for the Arrow. I might switch to the S-One for the Chapman though!

... those lovely S-Ones ...

No, these are brand new. Steve was using the Schwalbe One. They have now extended the One range to several models

Pro One - Very light racing tyre
One - the original
S-One - 30c tyre kind of Paris Roubaix inspired with V guard
G-One - Gravel Tyre 35c or 38c with a bit more tread
X-One - Cross tyre from what I can gather
Big One - big tyre for 650B Wheels

Basically the V-Guard should offer protection from cuts more than the original from what I can gather. You can see the line up HERE

The Retiree

« Reply #442 on: 16 February, 2016, 01:05:23 pm »
And then an experimental, lighter weight option.

As a lightweight option have you not considered a pair of lightweight meilenstein's?? You could run Schwalbe Ultremo ZX's on those  :thumbsup:

Oscar's dad

« Reply #443 on: 16 February, 2016, 01:12:09 pm »
All interesting stuff. Once the Contis I have on the shelf are wrecked (should take about a week) I might go for something wacky.

The Retiree

« Reply #444 on: 16 February, 2016, 01:17:17 pm »
All interesting stuff. Once the Contis I have on the shelf are wrecked (should take about a week) I might go for something wacky.

The only small stumbling block I can think of with the Lightweights is that they start at £3600 a pair and probably aren't that good for COR'ing on which would also go for the ZX's...... even our chum Lance had to pay £12k a season for his Lightweight wheels as they believe in their brand that much that they won't sponsor anybody  ::-)

« Reply #445 on: 16 February, 2016, 01:18:52 pm »

The only small stumbling block I can think of with the Lightweights is that they start at £3600 a pair and probably aren't that good for COR'ing on which would also go for the ZX's...... even our chum Lance had to pay £12k a season for his Lightweight wheels as they believe in their brand that much that they won't sponsor anybody  ::-)
I bet I could break them in a week!

The Retiree

« Reply #446 on: 16 February, 2016, 01:20:06 pm »
I bet I could break them in a week!

That's got to be your way in to bagging a free set then  ;D

« Reply #447 on: 16 February, 2016, 01:28:15 pm »
probably have to stump up for the original set though  >:(

The Retiree

« Reply #448 on: 16 February, 2016, 01:29:06 pm »
probably have to stump up for the original set though  >:(

Yep probably true  :demon:

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #449 on: 16 February, 2016, 03:50:29 pm »
Yep, will do. I agree with the reliability, I had the Durano's on the trek for a long while and the only visitation I had was a double puncture when I hit a pothole really really hard, as in new rim hard. I didn't see the 28's previously as I was looking at the folders but I don't need folding tyres, it makes no difference.

Having ridden lighter more supple tyres I do think the Durano Plus is a bit dead but hey, Saturday's puncture really Pissed me off and I want something I know is reliable for the Arrow. I might switch to the S-One for the Chapman though!

Aha - yes I see now, there is a 28 in the none-folding version... I had 1 set of none folding and then since then I've used the folding 25's as they are lighter, but tempted by the 28 with reflective side walls!

Great tyres but with so many options its hard to get a consensus of opinion on a particular one and confusing at best!
Regards,

Joergen