Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 517826 times)

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
Re: ACME Miscellany
« Reply #1050 on: 12 May, 2016, 05:49:27 pm »
Wednesday 11th May, Compasses, Littley Green:

Present: Tomsk, Huggy, the BFC, Tippers[sans velo], jiberjaber, Bobb, Oaky, AndyC33 and Carlosfandango. I think that's right - 9 of us, no? There were a few heavy-duty locks employed in the bike shed, after Oaky's unfortunate experience.

BCM preparation and worries dominated the conversation at least at my end of the table. Amusing anecdotes from the velodrome trip too.

ACME is a pipe-dream becoming a reality, it seems: ACH have a very informal structure - to join, you just need to have AUK membership for allocating points, anyone can join: use the website for various facilities like social events, ordering the jersey, list the randonees you're riding this year etc. Easy-peasy.

Paying for domain name and website seems to be the main cost - some of the Audax Organiser's income from entry fees could be directed there, maybe a supplement on the jerseys too? A sew-on badge with an ACME club logo could go on a variety of garments/saddlebags etc - I'll have a look at MBC [they do the AUK medals/badges and Flitch Bikes medals].

Can we have a [slightly] formal meeting to divvy up some of the tasks and make a few benevolent-dictator-style decisions? A Wednesday evening or whenever.

« Reply #1051 on: 12 May, 2016, 05:55:03 pm »
Don't worry about web hosting - I can take care of that. Which reminds me, I must make a start on the site  :P
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #1052 on: 12 May, 2016, 08:40:36 pm »
Huggy and I have been having a side discussion about money and insurance. £75 per annum is the magic number. Expect some thoughts to think about soon. And if you find a pound coin or two in your pocket put them on one side, we might have a home for them.

Oh, and by the way, huggy has a new title. He's been upgraded from "grown up" to "Treasurer".

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #1053 on: 13 May, 2016, 08:09:26 am »
Oh, and by the way, huggy has a new title. He's been upgraded from "grown up" to "Treasurer".
:facepalm:
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Oscar's dad

« Reply #1054 on: 13 May, 2016, 08:21:45 am »
Money and insurance, grown up stuff - sorry ...

Our little trips to the velodrome are dependent on us as a "club" having insurance, plus each rider needs to have their own public liability insurance too.  Thus far the ride leader insurance that Witham Cycling has through being affiliated to the CTC (or Cycling UK as they are now) has dealt with the club side of things.  And, if riders have needed to get insurance they can do so for sub £20 per annum via WC's CUK affiliation.  This personal insurance is a good thing in general, all proper cyclists ought to have it.

The WC's affiliation has also had some other benefits.  Obviously it allows us to run formally led rides for WC; this might not be of much interest to the good people of yacf although some of you are here because you rode with WC originally.  WC's affiliation with CUK was also very useful in helping huggy set up himself up as the Witham AUK organiser, a development which has contributed to the formation of ACME.

In recent years GK's in Witham have paid the £60 annual insurance premium but times are a changing.  Firstly, the premium has gone up to £75 and needs paying in a few weeks.  Secondly, GK's have said they don't want to pay it anymore.  This is fair enough in my view, their support of WC hasn't led to much incremental business for them so I think it was good of them to support WC for as long as they did.

Me and huggy have been giving the matter much thought.  We have decided that it is worth continuing our affiliation with CUK, principally so we can carry on going to the velodrome.  Alternative sources of insurance have been considered but we still think CUK is the best option.  We also think it's no bad thing to have a "formal" club to fall back on and WC's links with CUK gives us that.  As I said huggy found this very useful when sorting himself out with AUK, who knows when it might be handy in the future?

Given we think being a club is a good idea we have also decided it might be worth the club having a small amount of cash, this would be mainly used to pay the annual insurance premium.  £75 needs to be found ASAP so huggy has nobly volunteered to cough up 75 of his own UK pounds - a rash move which sees him being promoted to our treasurer.

Clearly he's going to need paying back, your ideas will be most welcome.  We've already come up with a number of money making wheezes which are up for discussion: charging a bit more for future velodrome trips, adding a quid or two to the price of ACME jerseys, charging a little extra for future Witham audaxes including Tomsk's winter series, selling refreshments at the aforementioned audaxes, running some WC led rides and asking for a small donation from those who turn up.  Also, if you're reading this and have enjoyed the velodrome evenings we have run so far and fancy riding the boards again you might want to press a few coins into huggy's sticky hand when you next see him.  He's talking bank accounts and spreadsheets so rest assured he is taking his new role seriously - we'd expect nothing less!

« Reply #1055 on: 13 May, 2016, 08:38:09 am »
Seeing as Huggy has already splashed out 75 British Imperial Credits of The Realm, why don't we start a quick kitty to cover initial costs like this? A tenner each from the regular MEMWNSers should cover it?

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #1056 on: 13 May, 2016, 08:40:12 am »
Bob beat me too it! :)  :thumbsup:
Agreed!
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

« Reply #1057 on: 13 May, 2016, 08:44:54 am »
Seems more than fair.  huggy will be passing amongst you very shortly with a hat. 

Just a small point, we are keen that monies paid should be regarded as voluntary and we are not for a moment suggesting that everyone has to pay subscriptions and those that can't or won't pay are not allowed in the "club".  If you want to cough up a tenner that would be lovely, if you wanna cough up less that's fine too.

The Retiree

• Zappi Clothing Ambassador - http://zappi.clothing/
« Reply #1058 on: 13 May, 2016, 09:00:36 am »
I can appreciate that GK's no longer wish to be a sponsor for WC particularly for them as it has not returned much in the way of extra business.
How about the Compasses though? I'm sure Josh could find £75 and the majority of us visit regularly be it in a riding or otherwise capacity and although they have their own cycling jerseys their website or mention of them in some form on the ACME jerseys could be incorporated as free publicity. On top of that Huggy's first audaxes are including a final pause there which will provide extra pennies coming their way.
Plus it's the ACME 'unofficial' HQ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #1059 on: 13 May, 2016, 09:04:09 am »
Seems more than fair.  huggy will be passing amongst you very shortly with a hat. 

Just a small point, we are keen that monies paid should be regarded as voluntary and we are not for a moment suggesting that everyone has to pay subscriptions and those that can't or won't pay are not allowed in the "club".  If you want to cough up a tenner that would be lovely, if you wanna cough up less that's fine too.
or more of course  :demon:

Also on the monetary subject is the already committed to expenditure such as ACME domain fee (Oaky) and setup/subscription of web hosting (bobb), not to mention any upfront costs of the ACME jersey and small over stock for any future sales without needing to place another order of a multiple that makes it economical (Tomsk?).
May I suggest a members only access section on the ACME website with a 'boring' page for accounts to be periodically published?

I'm going back to my packing for BCM now...

Oscar's dad

« Reply #1060 on: 13 May, 2016, 09:05:53 am »
I can appreciate that GK's no longer wish to be a sponsor for WC particularly for them as it has not returned much in the way of extra business.
How about the Compasses though? I'm sure Josh could find £75 and the majority of us visit regularly be it in a riding or otherwise capacity and although they have their own cycling jerseys their website or mention of them in some form on the ACME jerseys could be incorporated as free publicity. On top of that Huggy's first audaxes are including a final pause there which will provide extra pennies coming their way.
Plus it's the ACME 'unofficial' HQ

Feel free to ask Joss DL!  You're now Global Director of Sponsorship and Affiliation Programmes.  Congratulations!   :thumbsup:

The Retiree

« Reply #1061 on: 13 May, 2016, 09:08:39 am »
(null)
I'm happy to approach him in ACME's behalf but he knows others of this parish better than my goodself.
Failing that if he isn't interested I will put my thinking cap on and see if I could find another local business that might be willing to stump up some sponsorship.
When I managed my brothers football team I got a fully sponsored team kit plus track suits via two separate local business sponsors!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #1062 on: 13 May, 2016, 09:09:41 am »
(null)
I'm happy to approach him in ACME's behalf but he knows others of this parish better than my goodself.
Failing that if he isn't interested I will put my thinking cap on and see if I could find another local business that might be willing to stump up some sponsorship.
When I managed my brothers football team I got a fully sponsored team kit plus track suits via two separate local business sponsors!

Crack on! 

« Reply #1063 on: 13 May, 2016, 09:12:24 am »

Can we also get ACME shorts, socks, mitts, overshoes, gilets, jackets, caps, arm warmers, knee warmers etc so we can be full kit wankers?  :P

« Reply #1064 on: 13 May, 2016, 09:12:41 am »
At the risk of sounding even more boring than usual, we do need to decide what it is we want before we ask for anything.

We also need to start thinking about if there are any lines that need to be drawn between Witham Cycling, ACME, MEMWNS etc  These groups have plenty of crossover but potentially serve different constituencies.

Anyway, with most of the sensible people heading off to Wales, it can all wait until next week.
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

The Retiree

« Reply #1065 on: 13 May, 2016, 09:13:48 am »

Can we also get ACME shorts, socks, mitts, overshoes, gilets, jackets, caps, arm warmers, knee warmers etc so we can be full kit wankers?  :P

I will leave that with Jiber in his capacity as Gore rep for the mid Essex area! Or possibly Sister Carol he can use some of his model agency contacts surely....

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #1066 on: 13 May, 2016, 09:18:46 am »
I'm not sure that there's much mileage in approaching Joss as the Compasses already have their Huffers & Puffers 'club'
He was also very happy to be a control for Essex R&R in August without any promise of additional trade, that advance generosity is appreciated and I wouldn't want to be seen as imposing more.  Just my opinion though.
We could equally approach Wetherspoons - we frequent their establishments almost more frequently than the Compasses  ::-)

...and what happens when we open our own ACME micro pub??!!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #1067 on: 13 May, 2016, 09:18:59 am »
At the risk of sounding even more boring than usual, we do need to decide what it is we want before we ask for anything.

We also need to start thinking about if there are any lines that need to be drawn between Witham Cycling, ACME, MEMWNS etc  These groups have plenty of crossover but potentially serve different constituencies.

Anyway, with most of the sensible people heading off to Wales, it can all wait until next week.

I should say first up we need to work out what our costs across all the entities you mention are likely to be.  I think I will promote huggy from Treasurer to Global Finance Director and leave it to him to figure it out.

All the entities you mention are essentially the same thing given they serve largely the same people so I suggest we leave the lines blurred as it will be more fun and give us all something to argue about.

« Reply #1068 on: 13 May, 2016, 09:31:11 am »

...and what happens when we open our own ACME micro pub??!!

And brewery  :thumbsup:

"Drink ACME beer"
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #1069 on: 13 May, 2016, 09:45:39 am »
Paying for domain name and website seems to be the main cost - some of the Audax Organiser's income from entry fees could be directed there, maybe a supplement on the jerseys too? A sew-on badge with an ACME club logo could go on a variety of garments/saddlebags etc - I'll have a look at MBC [they do the AUK medals/badges and Flitch Bikes medals].

.org.uk domain names are fairly cheap - I hoovered two up the other day (audaxclubmidessex.org.uk and audaxclubmid-essex.org.uk) for not very much (about 7 quid each for a year, I think).

(I didn't bother hosting them anywhere yet, although I did point http://audaxclubmidessex.org.uk and http://www.audaxclubmidessex.org.uk to a cheesy holding page)

You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #1070 on: 13 May, 2016, 09:55:33 am »

.org.uk domain names are fairly cheap - I hoovered two up the other day (audaxclubmidessex.org.uk and audaxclubmid-essex.org.uk) for not very much (about 7 quid each for a year, I think).

(I didn't bother hosting them anywhere yet, although I did point http://audaxclubmidessex.org.uk and http://www.audaxclubmidessex.org.uk to a cheesy holding page)

I already have some hosting so once I've set up the site, we can just point the domains to that. It should be ok for the amount of traffic we're likely to get. I already pay for it anyway, so no costs there....

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #1071 on: 13 May, 2016, 09:59:30 am »

Coffee Cup was missing from your list...
Regards,

Joergen

The Retiree

« Reply #1072 on: 13 May, 2016, 10:05:03 am »
Okay I have just been speaking to Blackmore (cycling apparel) about them sponsoring kit for us (full kit wankers here we come!) it is a potential that they may be able to offer discounted custom kit for us in return for them having some space on the jersey and shorts and a link to their site from the ACME site.
Similarly my uncles flooring co may well be willing to stump up the £75 in return for similar albeit on a smaller scale as they wouldn't be providing such a large contribution!
I'll get onto Winnebago now to see about getting a team bus sorted trainmanbri can be our driver as he has an HGV license

Oscar's dad

« Reply #1073 on: 13 May, 2016, 10:05:46 am »
If Doggers raises enough money we can upgrade huggy's van to a team bus!

The Retiree

« Reply #1074 on: 13 May, 2016, 10:34:44 am »
Just about to go into a meeting with potential bike sponsors. If you don't ask you don't get right!?