Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 520737 times)

The Retiree

• Zappi Clothing Ambassador - http://zappi.clothing/
Re: ACME Miscellany
« Reply #1275 on: 02 June, 2016, 04:14:52 pm »
The resurrected Flitch Bikes by chance......?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #1276 on: 02 June, 2016, 04:19:40 pm »
Not really.

« Reply #1277 on: 02 June, 2016, 04:20:59 pm »

Good to see you last night Briefly...between KOM's. Glad we could do our Domestique duties for you Frank Zappi  ;D

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #1278 on: 02 June, 2016, 04:32:57 pm »
BTW - I just checked the AUK Club Results page and I see that ACME is now on a 6-rider total of 150 points (only 1 point behind yacf!!).  Obviously the real points monsters (e.g. Audax Club Bristol, VC167) have nothing to worry about but it's interesting to see how well little old ACME is doing!
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

The Retiree

« Reply #1279 on: 02 June, 2016, 04:46:35 pm »

Good to see you last night Briefly...between KOM's. Glad we could do our Domestique duties for you Frank Zappi  ;D

Cheers Tippers it was good to catch up briefly with some familiar faces and nice to collect the KOM set last night!
Domestique duties worked well as I left the peloton with an average speed of 12mph and ramped it up to 15mph by the time I got home having battled the relentless wind and gusts......!

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #1280 on: 02 June, 2016, 06:39:51 pm »
Forward planning alert             Forward planning alert               Forward planning alert              Forward planning alert               Forward planning alert             Forward planning alert               Forward planning alert              Forward planning alert               Forward planning alert             Forward planning alert               Forward planning alert              Forward planning alert               Forward planning alert             Forward planning alert               Forward planning alert              Forward planning alert               Forward planning alert             Forward planning alert               Forward planning alert              Forward planning alert               
Hurdlemakers Arms 12th Annual Beer Festival
Friday 24 th June 4pm-11pl
Sat 25 th June 12-11
Sun 26 th June 12-10

25+ real ale, 8+ ciders, BBQ...

Windmill Audax is that Sunday IIRC, so potential Friday family fun?
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #1281 on: 02 June, 2016, 08:24:20 pm »
Forward planning alert             Forward planning alert               Forward planning alert              Forward planning alert               Forward planning alert             Forward planning alert               Forward planning alert              Forward planning alert               Forward planning alert             Forward planning alert               Forward planning alert              Forward planning alert               Forward planning alert             Forward planning alert               Forward planning alert              Forward planning alert               Forward planning alert             Forward planning alert               Forward planning alert              Forward planning alert               
Hurdlemakers Arms 12th Annual Beer Festival
Friday 24 th June 4pm-11pl
Sat 25 th June 12-11
Sun 26 th June 12-10

25+ real ale, 8+ ciders, BBQ...

Windmill Audax is that Sunday IIRC, so potential Friday family fun?
:thumbsup:
Might work out a DIY to end there on the Saturday..... ::-)

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #1282 on: 02 June, 2016, 08:25:44 pm »
I'm probably aiming for the Friday as oil be riding Sunday.
Regards,

Joergen

The Retiree

« Reply #1283 on: 03 June, 2016, 11:23:56 am »
Olly Murs - Dear Darlin just came on the radio at work brought back some memories.......

Oscar's dad

« Reply #1284 on: 03 June, 2016, 11:44:41 am »
I'm not sure whether I've widely mentioned this but I insist on being ACME's Musical Director. 

The Retiree

« Reply #1285 on: 03 June, 2016, 11:49:57 am »
I'm not sure whether I've widely mentioned this but I insist on being ACME's Musical Director.

For the next epiphany do would there be any chance you could do a rendition of 'Will Griggs on Fire' ??

Oscar's dad

« Reply #1286 on: 03 June, 2016, 12:05:09 pm »

For the next epiphany do would there be any chance you could do a rendition of 'Will Griggs on Fire' ??

Certainly not. I don't do requests.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #1287 on: 03 June, 2016, 01:32:44 pm »

Certainly not. I don't do requests.
If he did requests we would all be asking for John Cage's 4'33
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #1288 on: 03 June, 2016, 03:25:06 pm »
Hopefully with an extended encore. He'd never manage it though ;D

Oscar's dad

« Reply #1289 on: 03 June, 2016, 03:28:31 pm »
For all you know me and bobb could have already started rehearsals for this next year's Epiphany Do! 

« Reply #1290 on: 03 June, 2016, 03:34:57 pm »
Excellent. I will try to arrange a venue with a suitable stage and lighting for this year (or next as it is)

Oscar's dad

« Reply #1291 on: 03 June, 2016, 03:40:40 pm »
Excellent. I will try to arrange a venue with a suitable stage and lighting for this year (or next as it is)

I'll need one of those Winnebago things as well.  Plus my band will be bigger, much bigger!

The Retiree

« Reply #1292 on: 03 June, 2016, 03:42:15 pm »

Evoke nightclub in Chelmsford for OD and Bobb to do a set! No doubt Ted has a table permanently reserved in then VIP area for when he entertains his TOWIE clientele!

« Reply #1293 on: 05 June, 2016, 05:41:48 pm »
A reduced ACME peloton composed of Bobb, the Hustler, Marco Pantani, Jiberjaber and me set off on the Asparagus and Strawberries yesterday.

We were soon joined, in controversial circumstances, by the Straggler. He had already amassed over 50 points and is aiming to go hyper but no amount of cajoling, pressure and charm could persuade him to move over to the dark side and join ACME.  It seems that we are ok to ride with when his Sudbury CC mates are smashing it up the front of the field but not good enough to join  ;D. He has said that a brown envelope of the right size might tip the balance though.

It was a windy and hot ride up to Wells with the usual slog from Acle to the Coast.  It is probably fair to say that we were a bit guilty of enjoying relaxed stops and then trying to make up time by doing one in between.  By the time we reached Wells there were plenty of weary legs. Jiber lit what he called his last match in a frantic bid to drag us to Weasenham before closing time.  Never has the usually impeccably organised northerner looked so panicked as when he realised we had an hour to get there to make it worthwhile. We made it in time but there were few among us who looked capable of a sustained pull to take advantage of the tailwind to barton.

Luckily help was at hand in the shape of our new best friend Rob on Sea.  Aside from the occasional token cameo appearance, he basically led us from Weasenham to Manningtree - actually there was a bit of a gap when he ended up pulling the wrong group into  Saffron Walden but we soon forgave him and allowed him the honour of going on the front for 68 of the last 70 kilometres until the Hustler put in his usual Arrivee Spurt and hammered home.

Needless to say, Jiber had no problems at all with the distance and had clearly been overthinking the whole thing.

Our BCM participants had a bit of the after the Lord Mayor's show vibe going on but Sister Carol is now an SR   :thumbsup:

The Hustler is next.

As for me, I struggled badly.  I managed to hold down my Macdonald's for nearly 10 minutes before throwing it back up and I never really recovered.  It's easy to forget that 400k is a long way and get a bit blasé about the whole thing - lesson learned the hard way  :facepalm:

The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

Oscar's dad

« Reply #1294 on: 05 June, 2016, 06:44:47 pm »
Gosh  :o

Well done you chaps. The A&S is a tough ride, it bit me on the arse last year so much respect to you all.

the straggler

• ACME Award Recipient & ROTY 2021
« Reply #1295 on: 05 June, 2016, 07:29:39 pm »
Nearly had to pull out of this event due to work deadline commitments for Monday, but glad to make it to the start.  Met some familiar and forgotten faces at start.  Started with my CCS team mates, then straggled off to join Hampshire 'Trikey' James group at Halesworth and straggled to and finished ride with the renowned Team ACME from Acles onward to Manningtree.  Currently under legal contractual allegiance with CCS, switching over to ACME could lead to myself being treated as an outcast by my home town community.  Being CCS tail end Charlie audaxer, hanging onto club mates is always a tall order often ending up getting smashed.

Found the ACME pace more civilised, joined by Rob On Sea who did massive turns on front through the night.  Congratulation to Rob on sea and Jibers in completing their 1st 400km and look forward in them getting their SR award this season.  I found that Hyper SR is a recognised but not a medal award and looks less appealing now.

Must offer my apologies to Ian who introduced himself at Acles, but my poor memory lapse of riding with him were hazy.  I should not have excuses in remembering him in future after kindly offering me a strawberry. I seriously might have to consider changing my forum name to 'the mackerel'. :-[

CCS - Setting the Standards

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #1296 on: 05 June, 2016, 07:46:00 pm »
Cracking report chaps, I'm presently kicking back with a pint reflecting but not aching which must be a first!
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #1297 on: 06 June, 2016, 09:00:15 am »
Now that I have had some sleep I can deal with the more important matters arising from A&S.

1. Weather - ACME summer time has officially begun  :thumbsup: - Bobb was spotted in short sleeves and less than 4 layers for a brief period on Saturday afternoon.

2. Photography - when I see an esteemed non-riding fellow member standing  at the top of a hill I expect him to be holding a box of ice creams not a sodding camera  >:(

Carlos has asked me to point out that his image rights are very valuable so all requests for photographs should be made via his agent.

3. Catering - i am new to this game so I rely heavily on others for the essentials (you know, navigation, towing me along, holding my bike when I have cramp, telling me my wheel isn't on properly etc) but the thing I rely on most is the ACME method ie audaxing at a civilised pace.  This requires a careful balance of doing one, smashing it, fafffage, hedge stops and relaxed eating.  It seems ridiculous to be concerned about experience when you are in a group with the likes of Bobb and the Straggler to help you along but few people have the organisational flair of Huggy when it comes to the classic combination of audaxing and fine dining.  The bring back Huggy campaign starts here. I owe it to my stomach.

The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

« Reply #1298 on: 06 June, 2016, 09:38:47 am »
Next time.....I will bring my little helpers along and set up a feed zone for you.....NOT.

I felt a bit bad but then I figured I've been done at the top of a hill by a photographer so many times I deserved to get one back. I blamed it on Tomsk if anyone mentioned the cruelty of it  ;D

Oscar's dad

« Reply #1299 on: 06 June, 2016, 10:09:36 am »
... Carlos has asked me to point out that his image rights are very valuable so all requests for photographs should be made via his agent.

Which is me  ;D