Author Topic: Record finishing times?  (Read 1897 times)

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
Record finishing times?
« on: 02 February, 2020, 09:53:18 am »
I know we don't race in Audax, but are there any unofficial records for getting round a 200, 300, 400 or 600 event?

Presumably some events lend themselves more to a faster time?
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
Re: Record finishing times?
« Reply #1 on: 02 February, 2020, 10:56:20 am »
I know we don't race in Audax, but are there any unofficial records for getting round a 200, 300, 400 or 600 event?

Yep, 6:45, 15:00, 13:50, and 20:00 respectively, A record achieved by many people.

Audax has a max speed as well as a minimum...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

LMT

« Reply #2 on: 02 February, 2020, 11:22:12 am »

Yep, 6:45, 15:00, 13:50, and 20:00 respectively, A record achieved by many people.

Audax has a max speed as well as a minimum...

J

10hrs for a 300, given that the max speed set by the org is 30kph of course.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #3 on: 02 February, 2020, 11:23:31 am »

10hrs for a 300, given that the max speed set by the org is 30kph of course.

Good point, well made. I did 30/2 rather than 20/2.

I am awake, honest.

*goes to make tea*

J
--

« Reply #4 on: 02 February, 2020, 12:14:28 pm »
Many 24h TTers used to ride Audaxes as training, and there have been some very speedy ones (>800km in 24h for example) so it's probably quite safe to assume that for every distance up to and including 600km someone has got to the final control before it officially opened. No-one cares (or knows) about how early they got there.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #5 on: 02 February, 2020, 12:17:38 pm »
Many 24h TTers used to ride Audaxes as training, and there have been some very speedy ones (>800km in 24h for example) so it's probably quite safe to assume that for every distance up to and including 600km someone has got to the final control before it officially opened. No-one cares (or knows) about how early they got there.

As long as you don't expect your card to be stamped until the control opens...

J
--

« Reply #6 on: 02 February, 2020, 12:19:42 pm »
Separately I rode from Bristol to Home following the LWL route yesterday shoved along by a mighty tailwind most of the way. Looking at Strava I see that on many of the segments I thrashed times set by many of the faster finishers from previous runnings of the event. I'm an overweight 58 year old with a dodgy ticker riding a fully laden Ribble Winter bike... I guess the record time is fairly meaningless (although I am planning a victory parade around my back garden this afternoon).

S2L

« Reply #7 on: 02 February, 2020, 01:58:40 pm »
BCM unofficial record is around 24 hours... every year at the start there is someone rumoured to be going for it (and inevitably failing at it)

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #8 on: 03 February, 2020, 08:54:42 pm »
The solution of course is to get a heavier bike :-P  Then there is less/no need to worry abut finishing too quickly.
**awaits censure from those who think audax is about doing a good time and not about having a good time**
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #9 on: 03 February, 2020, 10:08:43 pm »

The solution of course is to get a heavier bike :-P  Then there is less/no need to worry abut finishing too quickly.
**awaits censure from those who think audax is about doing a good time and not about having a good time**

"Sportive riders pretend they're racing, audaxers pretend they aren't..."

J
--

« Reply #10 on: 03 February, 2020, 10:17:43 pm »
There's an American thing about doing a 200 in 8 hours, a 300 in 12 hours, a 400 in 16 hours etc (I might have the times wrong).

I can't find the link now, but someone's mentioned it on here before

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #11 on: 03 February, 2020, 10:27:24 pm »

I read somewhere *not out for a good time, out for a long time* - can't remember where

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #12 on: 03 February, 2020, 10:27:58 pm »
The American thing is
http://cyclosmontagnards.org/R80Rules.html
The Things OTP are the only Brits on the list AFAIR.

I've completed 200s and 300s close to minimum time decades ago but never tried doing so for the longer brevets. A sub-20hr 400 seems plenty quick and is rare enough for me. Mostly I like finishing comfortably inside time but not too much inside time.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #13 on: 03 February, 2020, 10:30:55 pm »
Cheers Dave!

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #14 on: 03 February, 2020, 10:34:08 pm »

Been riding on a Long Haul Trucker that's heavy. Still enjoyed the events and finished well within the time limit (I do about 10hrs for a 200k, GPS average speed about 25kph so spend about 2 hrs at controls) :)