Author Topic: RIP Doug Scott  (Read 1209 times)

fuzzy

RIP Doug Scott
« on: 10 December, 2020, 11:51:36 pm »
I have just learned that one of the greatest climbers this country, if not the world, ever produced has died.
RIP Doug.
https://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/features/doug_scott_obituary_-_1941-2020-13229
As a keen rock climber and wannabe mountaineer in my younger days, I used to devour stories about Doug and his peers.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
Re: RIP Doug Scott
« Reply #1 on: 11 December, 2020, 12:28:15 am »
:(

So soon after Hamish MacInnes  :(

rr

« Reply #2 on: 11 December, 2020, 12:35:51 am »
one of my heros. Met him at the Don Willans memorial bash, I seem to remember he had a few beers.

fuzzy

« Reply #3 on: 11 December, 2020, 08:39:03 pm »
Reading through some articles about Doug and his pals, I remembered Diugal Haston. Looking at pictures of him got me wondering if he was ever an instructor at Outward Bound Loch Eil?
I did a 2 week stint there and one of my instructors looked spookily like Dougal.
The thing is, I can't remember the dates. It was within a year of leaving school and was in December or January- very cold solo overnighter (minus lots apparently) and, during our ice climbing lessons on ben nevis, the breeze picked me up and parked me in another instructors lap.
Now trying to remember if I left school in 1976, 77 or 78....

« Reply #4 on: 12 December, 2020, 01:25:08 am »
Wikipedia states that Haston was director of the International School of Mountaineering in Switzerland from 1967 until his death in 1977. He was also a consultant for the movie "The Eiger Sanction" in 1975. Doesn't sound like he had much time to teach Outward Bound classes.

rr

« Reply #5 on: 23 December, 2020, 12:33:39 pm »
Wikipedia states that Haston was director of the International School of Mountaineering in Switzerland from 1967 until his death in 1977. He was also a consultant for the movie "The Eiger Sanction" in 1975. Doesn't sound like he had much time to teach Outward Bound classes.
Iirc the international school of mountaineering relocated to Scotland for the winter.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk