Author Topic: Tales from the Lock-Down  (Read 77821 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Tales from the Lock-Down
« Reply #875 on: 04 December, 2020, 06:11:34 pm »
In the street this morning I totally failed to recognize a woman I've seen every week for the past three months or so, because for the first time, she wasn't wearing a mask. Normally this is an experience only familiar to those who attend Roger's Special Parties, but in this case, she was a chazzer co-volly.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

ian

« Reply #876 on: 04 December, 2020, 08:10:04 pm »
I know, it's pretty awful. I've had to go back to identifying women by their breasts. Some skills don't age.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #877 on: 30 December, 2020, 09:43:21 pm »

I remember the last time we were all going to die... it's a bit like Groundhog Day of the Dead
https://road.cc/content/blog/groundhog-day-dead-279751
Vecchio Jo on Corona vs Cold War.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #878 on: 31 December, 2020, 10:32:43 am »
Crikey, tea-chests.  Don't see many of those around these days.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
« Reply #879 on: 31 December, 2020, 11:03:00 am »
Living halfway in terms of road miles betwixt the shopping meccas of Porthmadog and Llanberis and now after 7+ years of sole recourse to bicycling, I've succumbed and bought a wee Berlingo van (which reminds me of a blissful early 70s era owning several Morris Minor vans).

So yesterday I decided to head to Llanberis Spar for vittels. Driving 'Up the Gwynant' I passed 2 cop cars. Another was parked at the Pen Y Gwryd Hotel. Two more passed me in both directions just over the brow at Pen Y Pass. A further one was engaging with some decidedly un-local looking folks parked up in the lay-by at Pont Cromlech.

As I passed the 30mph sign into Nant Peris a huge cop wagon sped up to catch and tailgate me, filling the rear view mirror with menace. There was plenty of opportunity for overtaking, but no, it clung to my rear bumper. Figured it was a matter if time before I was going to be "pulled", but then it eventually decided to pass at great speed, still in the 30mph zone, with no intention of stopping it seemed.

The funny thing was, as it accelerated by it flashed its blue lights, just the once, like you do when a friendly overtaker thanks you with a single flash of their hazard lights, as a sign of appreciation for you slowing down to let them overtake? Perhaps it was just a clumsy oops, knocking the wrong knob type error? Or was it a deliberate 'sign' to me, cos they'd run a check on the number plate and discovered it's registered to a local - and so as to say, you’re ok mate, carry on as normal?

On the way home I saw 4 more cop cars and the one which tailgated me twice more. The final time it was parked, top and tailed alongside another having an elbows out the windows chat in the Gwynant Snowdon viewpoint car park. I thought about waving but didn't want to push my luck.

Going to play it safe today and cycle into the wonderful village siop in Beddgelert (which doesn't currently have the curly kale I so wanted yesterday, hence the trip to the unusually well stocked Spar in Llanberis)

« Reply #880 on: 31 December, 2020, 11:09:43 am »
"Or was it a deliberate 'sign' to me, cos they'd run a check on the number plate and discovered it's registered to a local - and so as to say, you’re ok mate, carry on as normal?"

That would be my take.
Rust never sleeps

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #881 on: 31 December, 2020, 11:14:53 am »
"Or was it a deliberate 'sign' to me, cos they'd run a check on the number plate and discovered it's registered to a local - and so as to say, you’re ok mate, carry on as normal?"

That would be my take.

Yes, mine too.

I would find that a bit unsettling though.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #882 on: 31 December, 2020, 11:30:02 am »
Several years ago, a group of friends were riding along the A4 near Avebury at about 2am. A police car came up, drove level with them for a couple of seconds, then sped off giving them one single blue flash. They took as a sign that 'What you're doing is a bit odd but you all seem to know what you're doing, have decent lights etc, don't look like hippies or travellers or stone-huggers, so you're okay by us.'

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #883 on: 31 December, 2020, 12:44:24 pm »
... but be aware that we’ve got our eye on you just in case.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #884 on: 31 December, 2020, 01:03:15 pm »
Yeah, that too!

« Reply #885 on: 31 December, 2020, 10:23:20 pm »
I had a similar experience to Slope's a few weeks ago. I was going to Caernarfon in Eminor's car, which has a Liverpool registration. The cops turned away from their intended route and followed me for a couple of miles, until it was posslble to turn round and resume their original route.