Author Topic: I am not a vegan...  (Read 40501 times)

Re: I am not a vegan...
« Reply #50 on: 26 January, 2014, 08:28:50 pm »
Ta. You learn something every day.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #51 on: 26 January, 2014, 08:30:29 pm »
Some lactose intolerance is genetic but some people become lactose intolerant after a diarrhoeal illness.
Sometimes this is permanent.

Attacks of D&V are common and lactose intolerance can have an insidious slow onset.
The symptoms can be put down to many other causes.

The lacto-free website is informative.
http://www.lactofree.co.uk

My Dad is lactose intolerant, as is my sister.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #52 on: 26 January, 2014, 08:33:57 pm »
Good stuff that lactofree.  Tastes pretty much like normal milk (slightly sweeter, as you'd expect from the lactose being broken down into glucose), only twice as expensive and with a phenomenal shelf-life.

« Reply #53 on: 26 January, 2014, 08:38:11 pm »
Most of the world is lactose intolerant, they don't have the mutation. It's a fairly recent one (under 8000 years ago)  It's happened perhaps twice once in Northern Europeans and once in Africa. 

« Reply #54 on: 26 January, 2014, 08:39:33 pm »
I have not tried soya milk in tea but I have had tea both with and without milk.
They taste very different because the fat in milk takes up some of the tannic bitterness.
If soya milk did this to tea, I might wish to use it were I vegan.
I don't like black tea.

^that  :thumbsup:

I likes (unsweetened) soya milk in tea very much.  10 cups a day normally.  Didn't drink soya milk for the two years of giving up milk so I didn't really go through the transition - first time I had it I thought it was nice.  I have had a few (omnivore) people try soya milk at mine and end up liking it a lot to the point they have it themselves most of the time now.  My OH is very much a meaty/dairy eater, yet he loves soya hot chocolates. 
Does not play well with others

red marley

« Reply #55 on: 26 January, 2014, 08:40:37 pm »
I positively prefer soya milk over dairy (I have no intolerance of either). Dairy milk in tea, or with cereal just tastes horribly sickly and claggy to me now, just as for many used to semi-skimmed milk, gold top milk would taste too rich.  As with veggie sausages, one of its advantages is that it can be used as a substitute in all sorts of recipes without faff. In fact one of my favourites combines both - veggie toad in the hole.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #56 on: 26 January, 2014, 08:45:38 pm »
Lactofree tastes fine.
It doesn't seem pricy compared to the 79p/pint our milkman charges for fresh cow juice in glass bottles. (Chilled Lactofree is £1.34/litre at Sainsbury's online or 76p/pint)
Our milkman only sells UHT Lactofree, which is just as  :sick: as all UHT milk. I'd avoid UHT milk in any form.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #57 on: 26 January, 2014, 08:46:13 pm »
What's a milkman?

« Reply #58 on: 26 January, 2014, 08:50:35 pm »
I'm a veggie (because I get queasy easily), and avoid milk because I don't like the taste. However sweetened soya milk is delicious. Love it in tea, adore it in porridge. S can't stand un sweetened soya, but unsweetened almond milk is lovely too.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #59 on: 26 January, 2014, 08:54:13 pm »
What's a milkman?

An unfortunate chap with an unsustainable business we are trying to support for as long as humanly possible.

« Reply #60 on: 26 January, 2014, 08:55:32 pm »
Also, while there is some degree of overlap between "people who are veggie" and "people who are health food nutters eat healthily" the two don't necessarily go hand in hand.  Just as it is entirely feasible to eat a healthy diet that either includes or excludes meat, it is also completely possible to eat a very unhealthy diet on either basis.  Chips are vegan, for a start.
We have a name for the "unhealthy" type- chips & chocolate vegetarians. They tend not to actually eat much in the way of vegetables. (Dreadful stereotype based on several vegetarian teenage girls). They always, however, get vegetarian foods to their liking when they visit here, hostess with the mostest, and all that.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #61 on: 26 January, 2014, 08:58:10 pm »
What's a milkman?

An unfortunate chap with an unsustainable business we are trying to support for as long as humanly possible.

I haven't lived anywhere with a milkman since I went to university.  Not sure how much is due to the decline of milk deliveries in general, or just from living in areas populated primaritly by Penniless Student Oafs and/or ethnic minorities who lack the lactase mutation.

Actually, I remember seeing milk deliveries in Canterbury, but not on our road.

« Reply #62 on: 26 January, 2014, 09:10:03 pm »
We have a milkman. The village being 5 miles from the nearest shop probably helps him retain his customer base as its a royal PITA to pop to the shop to buy some if you have forgotten and run out.

Martin

« Reply #63 on: 26 January, 2014, 09:27:39 pm »
I am not a vegan but I really can't see why it should be SO difficult to cater for a vegan.

A Twitter contact had a rough time recently, remaining effectively unfed on a social night out.

It strikes me the dairy and egg producers are involved in more wanton animal death than those that produce meat from animals that have grown outdoors to near maturity. I'm afraid I like animal products too much and don't have the moral gumption to give them up.

If a vegan friend popped in to your home, would providing sustenance be a (big) problem?

do you eat meat? in which case you are saying you exercise no control over your diet but cast aspertions on those who do on sermantics? Maybe I'm just reading too much into it after 26 years of guilt trip comments, for me it's simples I don't like meat and don't wish to eat any of the by products of it as by and large they are unhealthy

anyway to answer your question yes I would find it very hard as an awful lot of vegetarian produce includes dairy fish and egg products even in miniscule quantities; take them away and you have vegetables (probably organic) and err spices and water  ???

veggies are much easier; it's either from the carcass of a dead animal or not

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #64 on: 26 January, 2014, 09:30:48 pm »

Vegan spread, soya milk, ice cream, chocolate, gravy, stuffing, sausages are all readily available, and cheap in supermarkets nowadays.

As an aside, I do sometimes wonder why veggies eat so many substitute foods like this. Personally, if I were ever to go veggie, I'd rather eat real vegetables than fake meat.

Because, like the meat equivalents, they're quick, easy and tasty. And for some people, choosing not to eat meat doesn't mean choosing not to eat pretend meat. I love Linda McCartney red onion & thyme fake sausages, and I like quorn fake ham, and Tesco quorn cottage pie, although I hardly ever eat any of them.

I regularly eat a vegan pilaf for my tea - bobb's had it too, and likes it. Onion, garlic, brown rice, peanuts or almonds, peas, turmeric, cumin, stock. Tasty, filling and nutritious. I could knock up a vegan soup, curry or dhal easily enough. And I suppose a vegan dessert, using marg instead of butter.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #65 on: 26 January, 2014, 09:48:24 pm »
I am not a vegan but I really can't see why it should be SO difficult to cater for a vegan.

A Twitter contact had a rough time recently, remaining effectively unfed on a social night out.

It strikes me the dairy and egg producers are involved in more wanton animal death than those that produce meat from animals that have grown outdoors to near maturity. I'm afraid I like animal products too much and don't have the moral gumption to give them up.

If a vegan friend popped in to your home, would providing sustenance be a (big) problem?

do you eat meat? in which case you are saying you exercise no control over your diet but cast aspertions on those who do on sermantics? Maybe I'm just reading too much into it after 26 years of guilt trip comments, for me it's simples I don't like meat and don't wish to eat any of the by products of it as by and large they are unhealthy

anyway to answer your question yes I would find it very hard as an awful lot of vegetarian produce includes dairy fish and egg products even in miniscule quantities; take them away and you have vegetables (probably organic) and err spices and water  ???

Martin, people who say they eat meat are not necessarily people who exercise no control over their own diet. I am neither vegetarian nor vegan but I do exercise complete and utter and control and am actually very fussy. To define vegan food as veggies with a bit of spices and water shows an distinct lack of inventiveness in the kitchen IMO :)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #66 on: 26 January, 2014, 09:50:19 pm »

I do eat meat. I am casting aspersions on those who, whilst in the catering sector, have failed to cater for my contact.

I don't see that as a 'moral' issue; I see it as a regrettable failure to cater.

That is all.

I have seen a friend on a wheat-free diet go very hungry; that also annoyed me. Supplying a potato is not expensive, complicated or rocket science.

Is it?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #67 on: 26 January, 2014, 09:56:42 pm »
I've just had a roast dinner with Linda McCartney Red Onion & Rosemary Sausages.  Lovely.

I can't even remember what a 'real' sausage tastes like.  Nor bacon, nor any other meat.  But I like sausages. :D
Getting there...

Martin

« Reply #68 on: 26 January, 2014, 09:57:52 pm »
and what has

"It strikes me the dairy and egg producers are involved in more wanton animal death than those that produce meat from animals that have grown outdoors to near maturity*"

to do with a potato? or indeed people like me who choose to limit their diet for personal reasons

* I think quite a few lambs (and a lot of calves but mostly not in the UK) may disagree

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #69 on: 26 January, 2014, 09:59:09 pm »
... my meals don't revolve around meat ("meat addict", Clarion called it upthread ;D ), I don't let anything go to waste, so a vegetable soup may well include meat stock from a few days ago, or vegetables may be cooked in animal fat.

Yes.  I hope that term didn't come across as a bit militant.  I was thinking of those (unlike you) who can't even conceive of a meal without a bit of meat included.
Getting there...

Martin

« Reply #70 on: 26 January, 2014, 10:06:45 pm »
To define vegan food as veggies with a bit of spices and water shows an distinct lack of inventiveness in the kitchen IMO :)

or the fact that I've never had to cater for vegans?

« Reply #71 on: 26 January, 2014, 10:07:20 pm »

Vegan spread, soya milk, ice cream, chocolate, gravy, stuffing, sausages are all readily available, and cheap in supermarkets nowadays.

As an aside, I do sometimes wonder why veggies eat so many substitute foods like this. Personally, if I were ever to go veggie, I'd rather eat real vegetables than fake meat.

Also, you need protein and whilst it is available in dairy, nuts or pulses, they tend to be either somewhat high in fat or require some longer preparation and just bunging some veggie sausages in the oven is a good compromise :). I grew up with no meat substitutes, my (veggie) mother doesn't like them and never used them. It's nice to have variety. 
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #72 on: 26 January, 2014, 10:10:00 pm »
and what has

"It strikes me the dairy and egg producers are involved in more wanton animal death than those that produce meat from animals that have grown outdoors to near maturity*"

to do with a potato? or indeed people like me who choose to limit their diet for personal reasons

* I think quite a few lambs (and a lot of calves but mostly not in the UK) may disagree

I am not a vegan. I don't pretend to be a vegan.
I have friends who are vegan.
I think they should be fed.
Amongst other foods, I suggest they could be served with potato.
I am sorry if this makes you angry.

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #73 on: 26 January, 2014, 10:10:55 pm »
Living with C I do a lot of veggie meals.  Many of them are vegan, so catering for a vegan is pretty easy.  Biggest issue is usually that we don't keep milk alternatives without warning.

I find catering for vegans much easier than catering for gluten-free diets (although I'm getting a lot better at it).

BIL is gluten-free and allergic (or possibly intolerant, can't recall) to potatoes. 

« Reply #74 on: 26 January, 2014, 10:15:09 pm »
To define vegan food as veggies with a bit of spices and water shows an distinct lack of inventiveness in the kitchen IMO :)

or the fact that I've never had to cater for vegans?

So the bit where you assert that eating meat means the following

do you eat meat? in which case you are saying you exercise no control over your diet but cast aspertions on those who do on sermantics? Maybe I'm just reading too much into it after 26 years of guilt trip comments, for me it's simples I don't like meat and don't wish to eat any of the by products of it as by and large they are ....

Are those of us who eat meat supposed to feel this is a fair accusation? Sheesh. I respect everyone's dietary choices, and certainly don't accuse those who differ from my own as being in some way ignorant or 'semantic'.