Author Topic: PBP Blogs and write ups elsewhere  (Read 25679 times)

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
PBP Blogs and write ups elsewhere
« on: 29 August, 2011, 07:55:24 pm »
First article on me blog
PBP the Fast Bits

Re: PBP Blogs and write ups elsewhere
« Reply #1 on: 29 August, 2011, 08:08:49 pm »

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #3 on: 30 August, 2011, 10:39:53 am »

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #4 on: 30 August, 2011, 10:57:49 am »
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #5 on: 30 August, 2011, 11:55:30 am »
Here's mine

http://wp.me/p1NGJL-3

I particularly liked this bit
Dawn is a long distance cyclist’s mistress. She tempts you, keeping you waiting all night for her presence, only for it to be a fleeting glimpse. Sometimes, as she was on the way to Carhaix, she is clad in drab grey mist and leaves you disappointed. Other times she appears with high grey clouds with soft undersides that promise rain and misery. Just occasionally she appears wreathed in pink and scarlet and that indescribable amber that fills the heart full of hope.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #6 on: 31 August, 2011, 08:29:49 am »
Jeff Bauer’s Fixed Gear PBP 2011
http://thedailyrandonneur.wordpress.com/jeff-bauers-fixed-gear-pbp-2011/

On the way out of Brest, I rode with a couple of fixed-gear Brits, geared lower than me (48×17), but who could spin like crazy downhill.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #7 on: 31 August, 2011, 10:43:24 am »
my write-up is on cycle chat forum now:

click here

« Reply #8 on: 31 August, 2011, 12:18:51 pm »
Here's mine

A good read, Crazy, thanks for that. Always amazed by how good some people's recall of long rides is, for me, by the time I get to the end the start is beginning to become a blur and I can't remember what happened where...
"There are proven ways; play on the certain knowledge of their superiority, the mystique of secret covenant, the esprit of shared suffering"

LEE

« Reply #9 on: 31 August, 2011, 04:32:34 pm »
My memories seem to bear no resemblance to the actual sequence of events that took place.

2 days seemed to be lost to sleep-deprived memory and what I do remember is all in the wrong order.

I definitely remember starting and then finishing. Inbetween I have memories of camp-beds, YACF faces, Jambon-Buerre sandwiches and tarmac passing under my front wheel. 

I won't be sending that off to Arrivee (although it won't prevent some folks from expanding only slightly more detail into a 4 page Arrivee ride report I expect).

« Reply #10 on: 01 September, 2011, 02:34:02 pm »
It's not really a write-up of PBP, but I did a kitlist before I left, which I've now expanded with post-event musing.

I suppose it's a combo of all the "three things you're glad you did / didn't / etc" topics...

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #11 on: 01 September, 2011, 10:48:19 pm »
A few of my thoughts here - possibly more for my own memory's sake than anything else!

http://marcusjb.wordpress.com/2011/09/01/did-paris-brest-paris-2011-live-up-to-my-expectations/
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #12 on: 01 September, 2011, 10:53:32 pm »
Thanks, Marcus.  I did enjoy that - and agreed with a lot of it. 

« Reply #13 on: 01 September, 2011, 11:33:41 pm »
A very interesting read Marcus, and I hope you enjoy many more PBP's.   However the link to your photos doesn't seem to work.

« Reply #14 on: 01 September, 2011, 11:34:59 pm »
It worked for me  - I just pasted it into the address bar.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/marcusjb/sets/72157627528564234/

Good one of the tandem trike ;D

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #15 on: 02 September, 2011, 07:27:10 am »
Here's mine

I particularly liked this bit
Dawn is a long distance cyclist’s mistress. She tempts you, keeping you waiting all night for her presence, only for it to be a fleeting glimpse. Sometimes, as she was on the way to Carhaix, she is clad in drab grey mist and leaves you disappointed. Other times she appears with high grey clouds with soft undersides that promise rain and misery. Just occasionally she appears wreathed in pink and scarlet and that indescribable amber that fills the heart full of hope.

That's not right.

Dawn is married to my mate Kinky Keith and lives in Alphington.

For goodness sake, get a grip man.

H

« Reply #16 on: 02 September, 2011, 09:27:23 am »
For what it's worth, this is a report from the support/observers side of things http://trepidexplorer.blogspot.com/2011/09/paris-brest-paris-support-report.html

I will add that a few factual inaccuracies have been raised and will probably be amended in the near future.

« Reply #17 on: 02 September, 2011, 09:37:01 am »
No write up yet - we're saving that for a 10 page, text only Arrivee article ;) -  but some photos of the TenThingsIHateAboutLongDistanceCyclingCC French holiday now on our website.

http://www.TenCC.co.uk/

Chris N

« Reply #18 on: 02 September, 2011, 10:38:09 am »
 :thumbsup:  I'll get some more pics up on there tonight.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #19 on: 02 September, 2011, 11:06:02 am »
For what it's worth, this is a report from the support/observers side of things http://trepidexplorer.blogspot.com/2011/09/paris-brest-paris-support-report.html

I will add that a few factual inaccuracies have been raised and will probably be amended in the near future.
I enjoy reading the accounts by supporters, gives a different perspective. Sadly I cannot read that one, the background graphics are obscuring the text for me :(
Is there a way to read it text-only? (It might be fine for 'normal' people who don't have any colour vision issues).

EDIT: OK, I copied-pasted. Great report, entertaining and gave a good feel for the chaos of 1-person support.
I got the impression that your lady did about as good a job as the two guys supporting the 45h american  :thumbsup: And she managed a recreational training run at one point!

So, worth the effort, but I won't be reading anything else formatted thusly.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

red marley

« Reply #20 on: 02 September, 2011, 12:00:52 pm »
Try copying the text of the page into a text editor of choice. I was going to reproduce it here, but I'm sure you can manage.

red marley

« Reply #21 on: 02 September, 2011, 12:18:15 pm »
Alternatively, if you wan't the photos in there, your browser may be able to help. On Safari, selecting View->Show Reader produces a clear backgroundless view of the page. In firefox, selecting View->Page Style->No Style will strip out the background image. No doubt IE and others have some equivalent.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #22 on: 02 September, 2011, 12:52:47 pm »
Alternatively, if you wan't the photos in there, your browser may be able to help. On Safari, selecting View->Show Reader produces a clear backgroundless view of the page. In firefox, selecting View->Page Style->No Style will strip out the background image.
Worked perfectly in FF. A veritable Top Tip :thumbsup:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

red marley

« Reply #23 on: 02 September, 2011, 05:40:54 pm »
The Rapha ride report is now up on their site.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #24 on: 02 September, 2011, 08:53:00 pm »
The Rapha ride report is now up on their site.

Complete, I do believe, with Willesden Legend Ray Kelly coming home in the last photo!