Author Topic: Stena Dutch Flyer  (Read 3912 times)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
Stena Dutch Flyer
« on: 28 January, 2020, 11:27:39 am »

Does anyone know if the Dutch flyer ticket ticket (Any greater anglia station to any Dutch station + Harwich -> Hoek ferry), covers the Rotterdam metro from Hoek to Schiedam?

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
Re: Stena Dutch Flyer
« Reply #1 on: 28 January, 2020, 11:42:01 am »
From the Stena GB FAQ

Q: What is meant by an ‘open rail ticket’?
A: This simply means that you can use it on any Greater Anglia, NS or RET service on the day you have purchased it - you are able to catch any train at any time.

Also Mark Smith (Seat 61) was touting a discount offer that Stena have on through him.

Nae bikes though...

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2 on: 28 January, 2020, 12:36:50 pm »

Fantastic. I'm getting several questions from Brits wanting to ride the 200 from Amsterdam in March.

J
--

« Reply #3 on: 28 January, 2020, 12:47:44 pm »
When I looked at this last year you can't actually add a bike to it (as stated by Fifing). It's foot passengers only and they go in a separate ticket booth at the port so your cycling buddies doing the 200 from Amsterdam may be disappointed by a typical lack of joined up thinking (or enough of them persuade the companies involved that a cyclist 'could' count as a foot passenger)
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #4 on: 28 January, 2020, 01:15:51 pm »
When I looked at this last year you can't actually add a bike to it (as stated by Fifing). It's foot passengers only and they go in a separate ticket booth at the port so your cycling buddies doing the 200 from Amsterdam may be disappointed by a typical lack of joined up thinking (or enough of them persuade the companies involved that a cyclist 'could' count as a foot passenger)

Considering every other Sail/Rail combination including ones operated by Stena allow bikes, it seems odd that this one specifically doesn't.

« Reply #5 on: 28 January, 2020, 01:22:37 pm »
I specifically asked at Harwich and the answer was a firm No. This was a few years ago though, when I lived in Greater Anglia.

« Reply #6 on: 28 January, 2020, 01:43:40 pm »
Considering every other Sail/Rail combination including ones operated by Stena allow bikes, it seems odd that this one specifically doesn't.

Think this may be the reason. From the Stena website:

Route Hook of Holland - Harwich
Abellio Greater Anglia does not carry bikes on trains which arrive in London between 07:45 and 9:45* and depart from London between 16:30 and 18:30*.
For passengers who have a ferry and train ticket and travel by bike the first possible departure by train from Harwich International is at 8:33 and from London Liverpool Street station at 19:00 (change trains in Manningtree)

Unsure why they couldn't just put a specific T&C around those train times. Guess it's too much hard work and people may kick up a fuss if they don't adequately read the terms.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #7 on: 28 January, 2020, 01:47:31 pm »

Abellio Greater Anglia does not carry bikes on trains which arrive in London between 07:45 and 9:45* and depart from London between 16:30 and 18:30*.
For passengers who have a ferry and train ticket and travel by bike the first possible departure by train from Harwich International is at 8:33 and from London Liverpool Street station at 19:00 (change trains in Manningtree)

Unsure why they couldn't just put a specific T&C around those train times. Guess it's too much hard work and people may kick up a fuss if they don't adequately read the terms.

On the Dutch side you also have to wait until 0900 to get on with a bike, and can't travel with a bike between 0630 and 0900, or 1600 and 1830.

I agree with you that a T&C thing could get round, this, but that would require effort, and all you would do is make life easier for uppity cyclists, an who cares about them?

J
--

« Reply #8 on: 28 January, 2020, 02:35:36 pm »

It’s bollocks as well. You can book bike spaces on the Intercity to/from Manningtree, even during restricted hours.

(No idea if the same rules will apply to the new trains coming later this year)

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #9 on: 28 January, 2020, 03:01:05 pm »

Hm, thinking about the others
Sail-Rail GB to ROI via Holyhead: Any UK to any ROI station and v.v. (It's a National Rail and Irish Rail thing from the days of international rail co-operation)
Sail-Rail via Redhouse Point: Any scottish station to Belfast and v.v. (Its a Scotrail and Stena thing, possibly a legacy of Sealink but Translink is "different")
Dutch Flyer: Any Dutch station to London and v.v. (But then this is also a Sealink legacy of BR and NS co-operation)

So to use that ticket you have to use a London station

« Reply #10 on: 28 January, 2020, 03:11:46 pm »
I’m sure it says from any Abellio Greater Anglia station somewhere (Seat 61 says so)
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

« Reply #11 on: 28 January, 2020, 03:16:18 pm »
We went from BSE to Amsterdam.. It was any Greater Anglia then. There's even a ferry train to Harwich almost like joined up thinking. Any earlier in the day you had to change, but the evening train took you straight to the boat.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #12 on: 28 January, 2020, 03:17:30 pm »
ah Iv'e probably miss-remembered the restriction.

« Reply #13 on: 28 January, 2020, 06:20:26 pm »
I’m sure it says from any Abellio Greater Anglia station somewhere (Seat 61 says so)
Yes, we've used it a couple of times from Peterborough
And - thank goodness the tram link has been opened the rail replacement bus was dreadful.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #14 on: 04 March, 2020, 03:49:11 pm »
The  Harwich - Hoek DutchFlyer ticket used to be marketed mainly at cyclists.  I used to use it quite frequently as it's a relatively short train trip/drive to Harwich for me. 

This changed after the Dutch railways got a bit pissed off with people not paying for the bike ticket required when they got to the Netherlands.  IIRC, Stena were asked to change the marketing and messaging around the ticket when Abellio were awarded the renewed Greater Anglia franchise back in 2016.

You can still get a Dutch Flyer ticket but you can't take a bike with you using it.  You can travel as a foot passenger with a bike but you have to book the ferry and rail tickets separately.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #15 on: 04 March, 2020, 06:19:38 pm »
I understand that the Dutch railways lift the "no bikes before 9am" rule in July & August.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #16 on: 06 June, 2020, 11:16:22 am »
No bikes on dutch trains for the time being
#makewattsnotwar

« Reply #17 on: 06 June, 2020, 08:40:13 pm »
No bikes on dutch trains for the time being

Untill the Dutch Railways bothers to comply with requests from the majority of parliament.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #18 on: 06 June, 2020, 10:39:25 pm »
Untill the Dutch Railways bothers to comply with requests from the majority of parliament.

Oh, good to hear that others are as pissed off about this as I am...

J
--

« Reply #19 on: 06 June, 2020, 10:44:52 pm »

Oh, good to hear that others are as pissed off about this as I am...

J

Earlier this week a motion was adopted by the parliament requesting the government to request the NS to accept bikes, for the time being only for essential travel though (work, care etc.).
In stark contrast, from juli on untill further notices bikes on Belgian trains will be free.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #20 on: 06 June, 2020, 10:46:26 pm »
Earlier this week a motion was adopted by the parliament requesting the government to request the NS to accept bikes, for the time being only for essential travel though (work, care etc.).
In stark contrast, from juli on untill further notices bikes on Belgian trains will be free.

Let's hope that this opens to everyone before Randonneurs NL resume events. Tho I hope RNL isn't thinking of resuming any time soon.

J
--

« Reply #21 on: 07 June, 2020, 09:00:24 am »
What's the NS's stated rationale here? That bikes must somehow by definition be non-essential transport?

« Reply #22 on: 07 June, 2020, 09:34:19 am »
What's the NS's stated rationale here? That bikes must somehow by definition be non-essential transport?

'Lack of space'
Now, in my book, a bike being slightly longer as 1,5m is the ideal tool to enforce the required social distancing.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #23 on: 07 June, 2020, 01:09:52 pm »

'Lack of space'
Now, in my book, a bike being slightly longer as 1,5m is the ideal tool to enforce the required social distancing.

Never let a crisis go to waste...

Glad there is some out cry, else NS would be wanting to make this accidentally permanent...

J
--

« Reply #24 on: 07 June, 2020, 04:27:19 pm »

'Lack of space'

Never let a crisis go to waste...

Glad there is some out cry, else NS would be wanting to make this accidentally permanent...

J

Exactly. I was really shocked about the amount of 'cyclists' on the wereldfietser forum who even agreed with the NS.
Luckily only 3 parties agreed with them in parliament, VVD, PVV and CDA.