Author Topic: new club - Audax West Midlands  (Read 20341 times)

Re: new club - Audax West Midlands
« Reply #50 on: 30 June, 2016, 02:42:08 pm »
If you now do the same for Isengard, it’ll be where Scribers Lane fords the river Cole. Or could it be Balti 2000 on Priory Rd? Or could it be Christ Church, School Rd? Or could it be the bus shelter on Robin Hood Lane where J.R.R and his chums slept when the rode their bikes five times round the outer circle?

« Reply #51 on: 30 June, 2016, 06:35:42 pm »
Essential kit for membership of new club.

« Reply #52 on: 30 June, 2016, 06:53:46 pm »
If you now do the same for Isengard, it’ll be where Scribers Lane fords the river Cole. Or could it be Balti 2000 on Priory Rd? Or could it be Christ Church, School Rd? Or could it be the bus shelter on Robin Hood Lane where J.R.R and his chums slept when the rode their bikes five times round the outer circle?

Its closer to Swanshurst Park.

« Reply #53 on: 30 June, 2016, 06:54:33 pm »
"Audax Mordor"  You know it makes sense.  Eye of Sauron on the jersey...

« Reply #54 on: 30 June, 2016, 07:01:09 pm »

brilliant, love it  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

« Reply #55 on: 30 June, 2016, 07:05:16 pm »

Can't beat that.  :(

« Reply #56 on: 30 June, 2016, 10:45:29 pm »

Genius :D
Does not play well with others

« Reply #57 on: 01 July, 2016, 08:34:01 am »
I have already spoken to a couple of jersey manufacturers and should have some designs ready for the meeting.

a friend of mine has also suggested Audax Birmingham and Audax Wolves?

And Birmingham and Wolves are specific areas, unlike the Middle Earth or Central that suggest a general feeling for where it is based.  (I quite like the Middle Erath suggestion!)

The Black Country Flag has indeed been used already for a jersey and I have seen folk cycling in them (only 3/4 zip) bit with no writing on jersey.  I believe a couple of chaps decided to form their own niche club rather like our esteemed Dave CC.

« Reply #58 on: 01 July, 2016, 03:15:00 pm »
Bilston Independent League of Bicycle Orienteers.

« Reply #59 on: 03 July, 2016, 10:34:53 am »
Some very good suggestions for the club name up thread, and after speaking to someone in Audax Club Bristol, I do feel that their set-up is excellent for the following reasons -

• They call their club Audax Club Bristol and all of their members live in the Bristol postcode area. That way the club enjoys a good social aspect with weekly as well as monthly events that are well attended by their members.

Membership is free although all members must be fully paid up members of AUK and are expected to allocate their points in AUK events to the club.

Members are expected to attend on club rides, share lifts to events, attend meetings and offer to help out at events etc.

With the above in mind, I really dont think that naming a new club Audax Central or Audax Middle Earth or Audax Spitfire (and other names suggested above) can ever be regarded as having a membership that is specific to a particular area and I further believe that having a good social aspect (as Audax Club Bristol clearly do) is the right way to go dont you?

« Reply #60 on: 03 July, 2016, 11:05:33 am »
Regrettably then I would not be able to join such a club, postcode LD8, and I wouldn`t be able make regular week meetings.
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

« Reply #61 on: 03 July, 2016, 09:14:21 pm »
AC Bristol and AC Hackney work because they have loads of Audax folk in those areas. I doubt there are all that many in Wolves and Brum. I note that AC Mid-Essex (ACME) has gone for a geographic name and still manage to meet on a regular basis at a location near the gravitational centre of the movement. So, IMO a good social aspect is not predicated on a name but results due to the membership and willingness to participate.

« Reply #62 on: 04 July, 2016, 11:23:43 am »
I am informed that there are between 300-400 AUK members in the West Midlands.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #63 on: 04 July, 2016, 12:19:04 pm »
The thing about Bristol/Hackney is the large physical density of riders.* I don't know the Black Country, so I cant comment on how different they are/aren't (though I'm pretty sure "West Midlands" is bigger than the Bristol Postcode area!).

That doesn't mean such a thing cannot work; just that Brizzle and 'Ackney started at an advantage.

(This sort of thing is all down to chance - drop 4000 people onto the country at random, and some postcodes will get higher densities than others. )

*this is not aimed at NeilV. Or Bairdy, or ... etc etc ...    :-*
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #64 on: 04 July, 2016, 08:50:46 pm »

And if that is based on a similar geographical coverage of Midlands Today or Central News, then a very large area indeed!

« Reply #65 on: 05 July, 2016, 09:19:02 am »
If you take notice of the BBC, the ‘West Midlands’ includes West Midlands, Warwickshire, Worcestershire, Herefordshire, Staffordshire, Shropshire and The Wrekin.
Leicestershire, Derbyshire, Northamptonshire, Rutland and Nottinghamshire are the East Midlands.
The West Midlands County includes Wolverhampton, Walsall, Sandwell and Dudley, Stourbridge, Sutton Coldfield, Birmingham, Solihull, Meriden and Coventry.
The area Jethro is indicating is Wolverhampton, Walsall, Sandwell and Dudley; ie The Black Country.

IMO, the new club should be ‘Audax Black Country’ or ABC.

« Reply #66 on: 09 September, 2016, 08:42:35 pm »
Is this meet still on?

John

« Reply #67 on: 09 September, 2016, 09:08:46 pm »

And if that is based on a similar geographical coverage of Midlands Today or Central News, then a very large area indeed!

Fortunately where I live can get either BBC Midlands or BBC Wales so can choose a Midlands or Welsh alliance, currently own an Audax Cymru top  ;D

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #68 on: 10 September, 2016, 07:33:51 am »
Steve: maybe audaxers of NBRC, A5 Rangers and Team MK should come together as a new club in the vein hope of climbing the club results table. Team MK has about 550 members, but I've given up selling the delights of audaxing to them.

I was thinking the same thing myself but can't commit to it properly myself. It can't hurt to put something on Facebook etc and try to meet up at a pub. Ricki Goode from Northampton might be interested. Ricki was a well known AUK in the 1990s but packed it in during the 2001 LEL. But now he's getting keen and making a comeback.

There's a few of us in East Northants that would be interested in this initiative too I'm sure.

« Reply #69 on: 12 September, 2016, 03:18:51 pm »
Steve: maybe audaxers of NBRC, A5 Rangers and Team MK should come together as a new club in the vein hope of climbing the club results table. Team MK has about 550 members, but I've given up selling the delights of audaxing to them.

I was thinking the same thing myself but can't commit to it properly myself. It can't hurt to put something on Facebook etc and try to meet up at a pub. Ricki Goode from Northampton might be interested. Ricki was a well known AUK in the 1990s but packed it in during the 2001 LEL. But now he's getting keen and making a comeback.

There's a few of us in East Northants that would be interested in this initiative too I'm sure.
I don't do Facebook, but would be interested in meeting fellow local audaxers at a pub to discuss this.
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

« Reply #70 on: 23 September, 2016, 01:45:13 pm »
Did this happen in the end? Anything to report?

John

« Reply #71 on: 23 September, 2016, 02:48:06 pm »
Sorry, but I have been really busy lately.

Sadly though, the meeting did not go ahead and I really do not have enough spare time at the moment.

However, if anyone else would like to arrange something then please feel free to step up.

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #72 on: 23 September, 2016, 08:57:32 pm »

I don't do Facebook, but would be interested in meeting fellow local audaxers at a pub to discuss this.

I have name, Riders of the Shire.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #73 on: 06 October, 2018, 03:14:04 pm »
BUMP...

anyone interested to restart this conversation?

« Reply #74 on: 07 October, 2018, 06:53:07 am »
I was thinking about this recently. Could I suggest a more central meeting place and leave discussion of the name until after we’ve actually met... it might assist in getting things moving!

Somewhere in central brum perhaps?