Author Topic: Hand Made In Britain  (Read 31919 times)

cyclonico

Re: Hand Made In Britain
« Reply #75 on: 27 March, 2009, 07:49:33 am »

Oh, and Steve Goff - somewhere in the South-East.

South-East West Lancashire.
Steve Goff Cycles & Frames

I got my frame built by Steve. Some of the best money I ever spent and when my partner gets a bit more experience, I'll order a frame for her there as well.

FYI, I know Steve rather well, I used to work in Skelmersdale where he is based; he helped me with some frame/fork issues. He has a small workshop where he works on his own, building frames one at a time, and he does not have another job!

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #76 on: 27 March, 2009, 12:43:38 pm »
Helmut Berns - aka Sonic Cycles - used to, but it seems he doesn't any more.  I used to have one of his MTBs which was the lightest bike I've ever owned, possibly due to the minimum grade of component fitted being XTR.

No, it was bought second-hand after a mate's other half put her foot down in an n+1 discussion ;D
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Madcow

« Reply #77 on: 06 April, 2009, 08:24:48 pm »

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #78 on: 06 April, 2009, 08:40:05 pm »
Top.  Proper Yorkshire bikes :thumbsup: ;)

Getting there...

« Reply #79 on: 06 April, 2009, 11:54:00 pm »
Well, Arthur certainly doesn't build them himself, though I don't know who does (they took nearly four months to re-spray and swap some braze-ons on my frame, and I did consider going to find the bloke myself and explaining exactly what needed to be done, since there seemed to have been a communication breakdown along the way). 

Arthur's a lovely chap, though - if you find yourself in Richmond, do go to the shop and talk bikes.  He's really enthusiastic, and will yap endlessly about any aspect of cycling, from hardcore TTs to gentle ambles around the tracks and trails.

Jakob

« Reply #80 on: 07 April, 2009, 12:07:01 am »

Oh, and Steve Goff - somewhere in the South-East.

South-East West Lancashire.
Steve Goff Cycles & Frames

I got my frame built by Steve. Some of the best money I ever spent and when my partner gets a bit more experience, I'll order a frame for her there as well.

FYI, I know Steve rather well, I used to work in Skelmersdale where he is based; he helped me with some frame/fork issues. He has a small workshop where he works on his own, building frames one at a time, and he does not have another job!

Well, please give him my regards next time you see him. I've even had people in full Condor/Assos outfit ask me where I got my bike from, so hopefully some work came his way.

donpedro

• ain`t haulin` any lambs to the marketplace anymore
    • But, I'm Swedish!
« Reply #81 on: 08 June, 2009, 11:02:45 am »
Stumbled across this lovely collection of bikes made by Norris Lockley, Bespoke Bicycle Company in Settle. Anyone know if he's still an active frame builder? Some very fine work indeed!

"A society is defined not only by what it creates, but by what it refuses to destroy."

robbo6

« Reply #82 on: 08 June, 2009, 12:20:30 pm »
He finished in the early 90's I think. He started Settle Cycles.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #83 on: 08 June, 2009, 12:54:01 pm »
That's an unusual take on the 'Flying Gate' style.  Nice touches, but I don't like the overall effect. 
Getting there...

« Reply #84 on: 08 June, 2009, 12:55:40 pm »
Im a little surprised that no one has mentioned Major Nichols.

Major passed away a couple of years ago, but it was his frames that first inspired me as a youngster back in the late 60's.

Everyone had one in the West Midlands at that time, and I often dreamed of having one eventually.

A friend of mine had one built for racing with a milled out sloping fork crown and a couple of other nice finishing touches in white enamel.  I was so envious and tried to persuade Major to build me one the same, but he wouldnt.

Eventually, I persuaded my friend to sell me his frame which I kept for many years until eventually selling it on which was one of the biggest mistakes I have ever made as I would gladly pay a lot of money to get that frame back again.

donpedro

• ain`t haulin` any lambs to the marketplace anymore
    • But, I'm Swedish!
« Reply #85 on: 08 June, 2009, 03:07:02 pm »
That's an unusual take on the 'Flying Gate' style.  Nice touches, but I don't like the overall effect. 

True, but then Flying Gate's are rarely about rational thinking anyway!  ;)
Reason for me asking is that he write: "...where I still work to this day..but on a far reduced output..as I'm afraid that Old Mother Nature has ways of slowing us down.." . The Settle Cycles site are mostly a collection of rather depressing rant.

"A society is defined not only by what it creates, but by what it refuses to destroy."

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #86 on: 08 June, 2009, 03:29:08 pm »
depressing, barely literate, rant... :-\
Getting there...

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #87 on: 08 June, 2009, 08:25:04 pm »
Isn't that just a domain-squatter who bought the URL after the late lamented Settle Cycles went out of business?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #88 on: 08 June, 2009, 09:45:45 pm »
Mmm, probably. 
Getting there...

Treewheeler

« Reply #89 on: 08 June, 2009, 10:34:10 pm »
Trykit of Thame
 Geoff Booker engineers truly excellent tricycles, even a 953 model.
Turn all his own parts for the drives too.
Oh... and builds bike frames as well.