Author Topic: Signals on group rides  (Read 10237 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Signals on group rides
« Reply #25 on: 12 July, 2009, 09:59:31 pm »
I think that is much more comprehensible.  And single words are easier.  We may have to set a trend. :thumbsup:
Getting there...

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #26 on: 12 July, 2009, 10:09:42 pm »
I thought (on the) NOSE and (on the) TAIL were common.
Always seem to be effective at getting the message across.

I have never, ever heard those before. 

However, I think they're kewl and I shall be using them henceforth.  :thumbsup:
Liz, I think these expressions are used most widely in the West of Scotland. I first heard them from my audaxing chums from that area. I agree they are much more succinct than the "car up" and "car on" variations used round these parts.
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

« Reply #27 on: 12 July, 2009, 10:16:41 pm »
Does anyone have a good signal for indicating that there is a whole lot of glass or potholes in front, and no easy way to dodge, ie it's not to the right, or left ?

Just shouting from the front what the problem is. I tend to shout for everyone to "keep your eyes up" if it's going to be impossible to indicate all the hazards, like on a very badly pot-holed road, so everyone knows to look after themselves and leave extra room and/or slow down if necessary. Or alternatively:

"Fuck!"  ;D

« Reply #28 on: 12 July, 2009, 10:22:53 pm »
I know you said you weren't necessarily looking for what the pros do, but this article is one of the best I've seen on the subject. I also like how it slates the increasingly common, but consistently rubbish shout of "Hole!".

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=6731&status=True&catname=Feature%20Stories

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #29 on: 12 July, 2009, 10:36:29 pm »
I know you said you weren't necessarily looking for what the pros do, but this article is one of the best I've seen on the subject. I also like how it slates the increasingly common, but consistently rubbish shout of "Hole!".

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=6731&status=True&catname=Feature%20Stories

Useless article.  No mention of carrots at all.  ;)
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #30 on: 12 July, 2009, 11:25:35 pm »
"On your left" usually references a well-endowed [insert interesting sex here] on the pavement.

All other calls are just nannyism.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #31 on: 13 July, 2009, 10:35:48 am »
That might be confusing, as 'on your left' from behind also means that someone intends to pass you on that side.
Getting there...

« Reply #32 on: 13 July, 2009, 11:08:59 am »
Right, we just need to ban any letching on rides.  That'll solve things... :-\ ;D
Actually, it is rocket science.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #33 on: 13 July, 2009, 11:24:46 am »
With the car shout confusion I tend to assume that a shout of "car mumble" from the front of the group indicates a car coming from the front and "car mumble" from the back of the group indicates a car coming from the back of the group.

This, of course, may be too simple. Generally I accept that a shout of 'car' means that there is a car approaching and I should take care. The warning is more than I get when riding alone.  ;D
It is simpler than it looks.

Chris S

« Reply #34 on: 13 July, 2009, 11:40:35 am »
Up the road is where you are going.

Down the road is where you've been.

« Reply #35 on: 13 July, 2009, 11:45:29 am »
With the car shout confusion I tend to assume that a shout of "car mumble" from the front of the group indicates a car coming from the front and "car mumble" from the back of the group indicates a car coming from the back of the group.

Precisely. In context these things are quite difficult to misunderstand.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #36 on: 13 July, 2009, 11:45:59 am »
I think you all need to come on a FNRttC and see the live demonstration of group riding signals...  ;) ;D
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #37 on: 13 July, 2009, 01:26:28 pm »
I think you all need to come on a FNRttC and see the live demonstration of group riding signals...  ;) ;D

It's more like a sing-along isn't it?

Quote from: Mr Leg Bandage
Everyone shout "Bollards"...

Quote from: Hummers
Bollocks

;D
Actually, it is rocket science.

ChrisO

« Reply #38 on: 13 July, 2009, 02:31:21 pm »
Oh my lord, there'll be 17 pages of this before long...

I do find the Car Up and Car Down confusing because different groups, even around London, use it in different ways.

Consequently I find the easiest one to be Car Front and Car Back. It is impossible to misunderstand, and the words sound different enough to be made out even when not enunciated clearly. Dulwich Paragon certainly use this as a standard methodology.

To the OP - a variation of the arm bent diagonally behind the back is to stretch the arm behind and use a sweeping movement e.g. a pack move to the left (most common in Abu Dhabi) would involve the right arm outstretched behind the back and motioning towards the left.

Other signals I have encountered, not mentioned above:

Move to Single File: Forefinger extended (to indicate One) arm raised above the head and moving backwards and forwards in a line.

Speed Bumps: upper arm (either) out to the side at 90 degrees, lower arm and finger pointing down and moving to and fro to indicate the strip across the road.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #39 on: 13 July, 2009, 03:23:30 pm »
And hand up if you have  a p*nct*re (or, with some groups, any mechanical)
Getting there...

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #40 on: 13 July, 2009, 03:27:17 pm »
And hand up if you have  a p*nct*re (or, with some groups, any mechanical)

I tried that. Had to wait ages for a mechanic to change my wheel :(
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

gonzo

« Reply #41 on: 13 July, 2009, 03:32:02 pm »
Move to Single File: Forefinger extended (to indicate One) arm raised above the head and moving backwards and forwards in a line.

Never seen that, my groups just yell: "single up" (which everyone ignores!)

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #42 on: 13 July, 2009, 03:34:08 pm »
When I was on my first Dunwich Dynamo, Auntie Sam Ravenbait introduced me to the concept of calling traffic to the rest of the group.

Given most people's suspicion that she is in fact progeny of the unholy and sapphic union between Ellen Ripley and Tank Girl, I wasn't hugely surprised to hear her shouting "Incoming!", in the manner of a sapper shouting "fire in the hole!".

I was relieved to note that she'd left the frag grenades at home for the evening.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

ChrisO

« Reply #43 on: 13 July, 2009, 05:05:13 pm »

Never seen that, my groups just yell: "single up" (which everyone ignores!)

Abu Dhabi cycling is a mix of Brits,  Aussies, Saffers, Canucks and a couple of Yanks for the most part, with some Filipinos, Arabs and other assorted Europeans as well, so I imagine we have imported some signs along with the cyclists.

Although it also indicates how universal most of the basic signs are.

I'd never seen the speed bumps sign either before coming here.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #44 on: 13 July, 2009, 10:44:54 pm »
The signals are fine, but I find all "car"-related shouts intensely annoying.
Maybe when they're mostly electric cars, there will be some point - but meantime shouts are just stating the bleedin' obvious.

border-rider

« Reply #45 on: 13 July, 2009, 10:48:57 pm »
but meantime shouts are just stating the bleedin' obvious.

Maybe, but some people seem to be quite unaware that they're wibbling in the road and at there's a car hanging back and waiting politely to pass.  "Car up" can be pointed.  Same with "car down" on narrow lanes if people aren't paying attention.

But I agree - just pointing out to everyone with ears and eyes that there's a car is an irritation.

« Reply #46 on: 13 July, 2009, 10:58:41 pm »
In a tight bunch the following riders often won't see a vehicle coming the other way. Unaware of it they might just move out at the wrong moment.

Martin

« Reply #47 on: 13 July, 2009, 11:10:07 pm »
East Sussex CTC use oil up and oil down (no idea which way round, never did remember).

Welwyn Wheelers used that in the VERY early 1960s.

Oil seems to be a club (and more racer) word; all Audaxers I've ever ridden with call cars cars;

The signal at turns onto and across roads of "clear" or "easy" seems universal.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #48 on: 13 July, 2009, 11:12:17 pm »
some people seem to be quite unaware that they're wibbling in the road and at there's a car hanging back and waiting politely to pass.  "Car up" can be pointed.

Assuming they're responsible adults, and with all faculties, I take the view that that is their problem, and the motorist's.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #49 on: 13 July, 2009, 11:13:46 pm »
CAR UP!!!!!
It is simpler than it looks.