Author Topic: Hub problem with spoke holes  (Read 820 times)

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
Hub problem with spoke holes
« on: 08 September, 2009, 08:29:04 am »
My trusty campag rear hub has broken two spokes recently and I think it is because the hub was previoisly fitted with Sapim Strong spokes. The Sapim stong spokes were fitted when I kept breaking spokes on non-drive side. But my broken spokes went away when I started building my own wheels with Sapim Race. I am certain that the spoke breakage was down to not aligning and destressing well enough.

What is happening now is that some of the holes and paths on the non-drive side are forming lumps of oxide (my guess might be caused by the battery effect). The wheel creaks for a while and then a spoke snaps. When I examine the spoke that is broken it has a substantial lump of hard grey residue that will not allow the new spoke to align correctly. I have had to file these away on the two spokes I have replaced to date.

I was wondering if I could apply some paint or coating to stop this happening. I have recently replaced the rear rim and the free hub. Oh and Campag do not make 36 hole hubs any more.
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
Re: Hub problem with spoke holes
« Reply #1 on: 08 September, 2009, 09:45:42 am »
I think the canonical fix for this is to use little 3mm brass washers.  The soft brass deforms nicely.  Lord knows where you get 'em from though...
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Re: Hub problem with spoke holes
« Reply #2 on: 08 September, 2009, 10:53:39 am »
I think the canonical fix for this is to use little 3mm brass washers.  The soft brass deforms nicely.  Lord knows where you get 'em from though...

Brass washers

But I'm puzzled about the corrosion. Stainless steel shouldn't react. Road salt? Have you washed the bike using washing up liquid? This usually contains salt as a thickener.