Author Topic: Other sized axles or other sized bmx pegs?  (Read 792 times)

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
Other sized axles or other sized bmx pegs?
« on: 13 June, 2010, 01:53:59 pm »
I have just built a lovely new wheel for my fixed.  It's rounder than the other one which may not be saying a whole lot.

However.  The previous wheel had axles of 9.5mm/26tpi.  In my ignorance I thought that all axles where the same.  However it would appear the axle of the new hub is 10mm/25.4tpi.  (I am assuming these are the sizes based on the fact that the nuts and pegs don't fit from old to new axle.  Old axle is bmx sized and nondescript (came with 1980s Caude Butler frame), new one is Miche primato.

So the pegs at that are the footrests for my pillion passener (thus making it legal) won't go on.

Option 1) get some more pegs - except they don't seem to state diameter and tpi on the sites I've looked at, can someone recommend?

Option 2) replace the 10mm/25.4tpi axle with the previous 9.5mm/26tpi one.  Presumably this will require a different size of bearing and fun stuff like that.  Also I'm not entirely convinced it won't be a perect way to ruin an otherwise pristine hub.

Option 3) get a different new axle or correct diameter/tpi and start again.

Option 4) stop carrying passengers.  I discount this one as it's far too inconvenient not to be able to do so.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
Re: Other sized axles or other sized bmx pegs?
« Reply #1 on: 13 June, 2010, 04:49:44 pm »
No. 1 Son is a BMX fiend (day out at Corby indoor park today to get more scars that chicks might dig, apparently). He has a new bike; front wheel has a 10mm axle, rear is 14mm, this now appears to be standard (or as standard as BMX bikes ever get).

Pegs are either 10mm or 14mm, and can be bought singly to mix & match. Alternatively, spacers can make a 14mm one fit a 10mm axle, but they can be a pain to fit. Pegs from BMX shops tend to cost £"howmuch?"

Also, all his pegs are bolt on, so tpi matters not. Just held on with axle nut.

Try local Halfords for screw-on pegs from cheaper 'BMX' bikes (i.e. not ones you would dare to jump for fear of total collapse)?

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
Re: Other sized axles or other sized bmx pegs?
« Reply #2 on: 13 June, 2010, 07:17:16 pm »
ah, I must have some very odd/old ones that screw on.

so I can just do as you suggest, thx.  I'll tell them not to jump.
But do I need a gadget to attach the bolts that will fit inside the pegs?
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.