Author Topic: Removing wheel from bike witbout going upside down  (Read 13470 times)

velosam

• '.....you used to be an apple on a stick.'
Removing wheel from bike witbout going upside down
« on: 07 June, 2015, 11:28:21 am »
Had my first puncture on non M+ tires.  While my technique for changing a tube is better I still cant remove and put back the wheel without turning the bike upside down.

Is there a clever way of doing it?

Also how we  I rest the bike?

Thanks

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
Re: Removing wheel from bike witbout going upside down
« Reply #1 on: 07 June, 2015, 11:31:21 am »
Why don't you want to turn the bike upside down? I'd be concerned about bending the derailleur if it were the rear wheel.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #2 on: 07 June, 2015, 11:46:45 am »
I, on the other hand, can't remove or replace a wheel without the bike being the right way up.  Just unlock the QR, lift the bike with one hand while steadying the loose wheel with the other.

???  ???
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #3 on: 07 June, 2015, 11:54:39 am »
Had my first puncture on non M+ tires.  While my technique for changing a tube is better I still cant remove and put back the wheel without turning the bike upside down.

Is there a clever way of doing it?

Also how we  I rest the bike?

Thanks

Hi velosam. The trick for removing a rear wheel when the bike has a rear dérailleur is to shift the chain to the smallest rear sprocket and the smaller of the rings - be-it a double or a triple.
That is what the tour guys do in preparation for the mechanics car and a rear wheel change.

As for not wanting to turn the bike upside-down WELL that is possible depending upon your location at the time of the rear wheel puncture.

Carry a short length ( approximately 1.5mtr ) of heavy twine and suspend the bike by the seat to a convenient tree/bush n,fence or some other convenient point to hang it from after removing the wheel.
Your ears are your rear-end defenders,keep them free of clutter and possibly live longer.

« Reply #4 on: 07 June, 2015, 11:58:29 am »
Why not ask Google?

https://www.google.co.uk/#q=removing+a+cycle+wheel+youtube

There you go!

Answer is invariably on tinternet.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 07 June, 2015, 11:59:05 am »
Bike upside-down is a perfectly legitimate technique if your handlebar-mounted gadgetry will allow it.  The main issue is risk of scuffing saddle/bar grips on abrasive surfaces (so it's a technique I use to good effect indoors).  What's important is not to adjust derailleur gears with the bike upside-down.  They don't always behave properly with the gravity pointing in the wrong direction.

Otherwise, frankly frankie has it.  This is what I do with the recumbents, which can't be stood upside-down, and the uprights when the ground is wet/muddy/abrasive.  Once the wheel is out, lie the bike down on its non-drive side.  Re-fitting is reverse of removal.  Requires a light bike and coordination.

PaulF

« Reply #6 on: 07 June, 2015, 12:13:38 pm »
...and is a lot easier if you have rim rather than disc brakes

321up

• 59° N
« Reply #7 on: 07 June, 2015, 12:31:27 pm »
If I have a long luggage strap and suitable tree/gate post I sometimes suspend the end of the bike whilst I remove the wheel.

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #8 on: 07 June, 2015, 12:32:37 pm »
I find a 5 bar gate and hook the bars over the top rail and a pedal over another...Hey presto, bike hung up.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9 on: 07 June, 2015, 12:35:45 pm »
...and is a lot easier if you have rim rather than disc brakes

I'm in two minds about that.  I'm sure we can all agree that disc brake wheels just drop out, without having to faff about releasing the brake.  The issue is lining up the rotor as you slide them back in, which is indeed fiddly.

Of my random sample of cycles, I have:

Disc wheels that just drop out, but are fiddly to get back in.
Disc wheels with removable stub-axles which are dead easy to get back in (but don't need removing to change the tyre).
V-brakes that unhook easily and clear the tyre
V-brakes that clear the tyre but are a right bastard to re-hook when correctly adjusted.
Calliper brakes with no release mechanism, so deflating the tyre is required if you don't want to unclamp the cable and re-adjust.  (No prizes for guessing which bike.)
A V-brake that unhooks easily, but due to the rear rack struts limiting how far the arms can spring back, the tyre will only pass if you lower the pressure.  This wheel also has a disc brake, for maximum lols.

So yeah, I don't think you can really generalise that one form of brake is always more faff as regards wheel removal than the other.  Especially if wide tyres are involved.

PaulF

« Reply #10 on: 07 June, 2015, 12:38:55 pm »

So yeah, I don't think you can really generalise that one form of brake is always more faff as regards wheel removal than the other.  Especially if wide tyres are involved.

Fair point, across my bikes I only have one rim brake and that has skinny tyres so it doesn't cause a problem

« Reply #11 on: 07 June, 2015, 01:34:49 pm »
I favour the low branch work stand method, hooking the saddle over a suitable bough, when I can.

« Reply #12 on: 07 June, 2015, 01:44:21 pm »
I find a 5 bar gate and hook the bars over the top rail and a pedal over another...Hey presto, bike hung up.

I favour the low branch work stand method, hooking the saddle over a suitable bough, when I can.

Which those cycling in the 'flatlands' loved by Tomsk will find all over the place!

Gaining the skill of the wheel change, as demonstrated during cycle races, is a great asset, even if it appears to be done in slow motion.  When you are fully laden, then just time for an extended break!

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #13 on: 07 June, 2015, 01:50:39 pm »

Which those cycling in the 'flatlands' loved by Tomsk will find all over the place!

Are there no gates in Essex ?

You could always just lay the ting on the ground.

velosam

« Reply #14 on: 07 June, 2015, 04:10:50 pm »
I don't like the upside down as I have to remove lights,  computer, water bottle. 

Also on this particular incident there was nothing nearby to hang the bike on.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #15 on: 07 June, 2015, 04:14:50 pm »
Come round now and I'll show you how to do it easily.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

contango

• NB have not grown beard since photo was taken
  • The Fat And The Furious
« Reply #16 on: 07 June, 2015, 07:48:33 pm »
I don't like the upside down as I have to remove lights,  computer, water bottle. 

Also on this particular incident there was nothing nearby to hang the bike on.

I don't care for upside down either. For a front wheel I just pop it off and rest the bike on the fork dropouts. For a rear wheel I lift the bike by the back of the saddle, pop the wheel out (which can be fiddly if the cassette catches on the chain), then lie the bike down on the non-drive side.

It's easier if you can flip the bike upside down, it's just a question of whether the extra time taken to remove stuff from the handlebars makes it worthwhile.

Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #17 on: 07 June, 2015, 07:49:41 pm »
It's easier if you can flip the bike upside down, it's just a question of whether the extra time taken to remove stuff from the handlebars makes it worthwhile.

This is where bar-ends come in handy.

Chris S

« Reply #18 on: 07 June, 2015, 07:49:56 pm »
If I have a long luggage strap and suitable tree/gate post I sometimes suspend the end of the bike whilst I remove the wheel.

Pfft! Easy for a tandem, no?

fboab: "I'll hold the bike"
Me: "OK"

fb "Just call me Jack-eee" oab.  :thumbsup:

(obviously, this gag would work so much better if her name actually was Jackie...)

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #19 on: 07 June, 2015, 07:52:08 pm »

I love your questions.  You should have your own special board on yacf
I'm not being funny.  A lot of forums have a board like this and you could MC it

velosam

« Reply #20 on: 07 June, 2015, 08:06:36 pm »

I love your questions.  You should have your own special board on yacf
I'm not being funny.  A lot of forums have a board like this and you could MC it

Its the simple stuff I find tricky. Actually I find the tricky stuff pretty tricky too lol

However, unlike most of you who have a puncture and just do it in 10 minutes, I still take about 20 minutes and I am not including the first 5-10mis of deliberation of should I change or walk it. Not quite sure what MC means

« Reply #21 on: 07 June, 2015, 08:12:53 pm »
^^^^^^

At a previous club we had winter club sessions where the 'old hands' gave demonstrations and top tips on all kinds of things including what to do when the tyre goes flat.  Putting the chain in small/small was a useful tip for many.  However, turning the bike upside down would have resulted in you being booted out of the club!

In many respects, for those not having/choosing the option of club nights, the internet and YouTube provide a very useful service.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #22 on: 07 June, 2015, 08:29:09 pm »
However, turning the bike upside down would have resulted in you being booted out of the club!

Philistines.  Correct repair technique, as any fule knows:

1) Turn bike upside-down.
2) Obtain spoons from kitchen drawer, getting a sibling to run interference if required.
3) Remove tube from tyre in situ.
4) Locate puncture using bowl of water, taking care to not to draw attention to the previous spoon theft in the process.
5) Select a likely-looking patch from the puncture repair kit.  Remove the plastic cover and foil backing.
6) Apply a thick but not necessarily patch-width blob of glue to the tube.
7) Pick up the dropped patch, hastily brush off the acquired grit and slap it onto the tube before the glue dries.
8) Wait a couple of minutes, or until patience runs out.
9) Test-inflate the tube.
10) Partially peel off patch and apply more glue to plug the leak.
11) Stuff tube back into tyre, and re-fit.
12) Begin to inflate the tyre.
13) Stop when you notice the tube bulging out from the improperly seated tyre behind the brake blocks.
14) Re-seat the bead using spoon tactics.
15) Re-inflate the tyre.
15b) Optionally pump up the front tyre and douse the sprocket(s) with 3-in-1 oil (while hand-cranking the drivetrain manically), for a complete bike service.
16) Turn bike the right way round.  Return kitchen implements to the general vicinity of the kitchen.
17) Return to bike and notice tyre is a little soft.  Shear extension hose thingy off pump while adding more air.
18) Get called in for tea.

velosam

« Reply #23 on: 07 June, 2015, 08:38:43 pm »
 :) cheers Kim, worked great when I was a child and I really did use spoons, but then I never ventured out of the garden.

No such luck now, although I do carry 2x tubes.

To add to the absurdity of the situation on Friday it look me a good couple of minutes to figure out that the pump has to be secured via a plunger, and I could not figure out why it was not working lol

« Reply #24 on: 07 June, 2015, 10:52:16 pm »
I always felt that drop-outs were called that for a reason. With the bike upside down, the wheel doesn't.

To remove rear wheel, put derailleur onto smallest sprocket as others have said, and give the back of the wheel a smart whack with your open palm. No chance of damaging the derailleur.

Hang bike on a nearby club-mate or, if none is available, just lie it down.