Author Topic: Heating on?  (Read 60475 times)

Heating on?
« on: 19 October, 2011, 08:56:17 pm »
How long do you 'tough it out' without heating on in your house?  We put the CH on today.  I keep getting told off for wearing my fleece indoors as apparently it looks like I'm going out...   ;)
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Re: Heating on?
« Reply #1 on: 19 October, 2011, 08:59:33 pm »
Heating on?! No (see grumble thread)  :demon:

Still at least I was only putting it on to test rather than becuse it's particularly cold so that's something. Not to try and get it sorted (i.e. phone my Dad  :))
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Chris S

« Reply #2 on: 19 October, 2011, 09:02:22 pm »
I am discovering the excellent side effect of living on the third floor of a block of flats. Received heat from flats below  :thumbsup:.

Bit chillier today mind, probably around 18c, but didn't see the need to turn on the heating just yet.

« Reply #3 on: 19 October, 2011, 09:02:46 pm »
no chance, although I would have done if I was allowed....  We've had the fire lit for a week though.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #4 on: 19 October, 2011, 09:10:40 pm »
Our house has two temperature zones - the one immediately around Lady Redlight and everywhere else.  The former appears to be considerably colder than the latter, hence the constant battle of her closing windows and turning up the heating and me doing the opposite. She will be huddled in a fleece and big slippers while I am in a t-shirt.  I'm told it's a male-female thing.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #5 on: 19 October, 2011, 09:12:25 pm »
Since there was an air frost last night and tonight is threatening to be colder, ours is on now.

It's for Alfie, you understand.

I was at a Council meeting last night. Two people in short sleeved shirts, the others in fleeces. The cyclist and the person who works outdoors were the two.
It is simpler than it looks.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #6 on: 19 October, 2011, 09:12:58 pm »
... while I am in a t-shirt.  I'm told it's a male-female thing.

My first mis-reading of that was "at it in a t-shirt". :o
The loss of humanity I could live with.

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #7 on: 19 October, 2011, 09:15:32 pm »
Until last week when I woke up a morning and saw the thermometer showed 15oC in the livingroom.
Now I'm back up to my  usual 18oC.  :smug:

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #8 on: 19 October, 2011, 09:17:00 pm »
On Monday, when it said it was 14C.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #9 on: 19 October, 2011, 09:20:13 pm »
Not yet, although its been a bit cool in the mornings. We were remarking earlier that this is the latest we've gone without heating for some years. A house move off the top of the hill has probably helped there.

« Reply #10 on: 19 October, 2011, 09:24:23 pm »
No, but the magic warm kitchen floor and woodburner have been brought out of hibernation.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #11 on: 19 October, 2011, 09:30:15 pm »
Heating goes on once I'm wearing all my jumpers, AND still cold.
Especially now I've had an email from $Thieving_Power_Company(*) to tell me that they're direct-debiting me more pounds even though I'm still in credit with them.

(*) That doesn't narrow it down very much.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

diapsaon0

• Advena ego sum in terra
« Reply #12 on: 19 October, 2011, 09:30:23 pm »
Not yet, but it's been a close thing this evening  :-\
Advena ego sum in Terra

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #13 on: 19 October, 2011, 09:37:40 pm »
7°C outside, 18°C inside. Still in shirtsleeves.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #14 on: 19 October, 2011, 09:41:58 pm »
Last week when two layers of clothes and a blanket wasn't enough to keep me comfortable. It's on a timer to not come on till 9pm which is when it starts to get properly cold. As the autumn progresses into winter, I'll set it to come on earlier.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #15 on: 19 October, 2011, 09:42:29 pm »
4.5C out/ 20C in - probably a tad warm <turns thermostat lower>
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

AndyK

« Reply #16 on: 19 October, 2011, 09:42:42 pm »
Not yet. I don't usually consider it until there's been a few hard frosts. I've got warm jumpers and fleece blankets I can wrap up in while on the sofa.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #17 on: 19 October, 2011, 09:47:47 pm »
What's central heating?
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #18 on: 19 October, 2011, 09:56:10 pm »
When the average temperature in the occupied rooms drops below 19C (16C at night).

Code: [Select]
23:13:30 <kim> heating status
23:13:31 <sian> Heating is on (thermostatic, threshold = 19.0).  Average temperatures are: upstairs 17.8, downstairs 16.4, occupied 17.5, whole house 17.1, max 19.7, min 15.4

« Reply #19 on: 19 October, 2011, 11:12:46 pm »
Our house has two temperature zones - the one immediately around Lady Redlight and everywhere else.  The former appears to be considerably colder than the latter, hence the constant battle of her closing windows and turning up the heating and me doing the opposite. She will be huddled in a fleece and big slippers while I am in a t-shirt.  I'm told it's a male-female thing.

Sounds like a similar situation to the Nutty house.

The weekend was fun.  Hot sunshine outside, house really cold inside (I blame all this excessive insulation - it's an absolute sauna in the loft above the 12 inches or so of fibreglass woollen stuff).  Mrs Nutty wanted heating on - I told her to sit in the garden  :smug:

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #20 on: 19 October, 2011, 11:25:46 pm »
i generally don't have an issue with cold.  lived in durham in a flat with no heating, and in france over winter in a house with no windows or doors and never really felt the lack of 'em.  but the heating is now needing to be on for the odd occasion here and there otherwise the laundry festooning the house would never dry.  i've currently set it to be on around boys' bathtime for hald an hour, and around dragging small children out of bed in the morning o'clock for half an hour.

and i even turned on the radiator in my bedroom when kim and barakta were staying. then i shut the window last night.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #21 on: 19 October, 2011, 11:29:36 pm »

Sounds like a similar situation to the Nutty house.

The weekend was fun.  Hot sunshine outside, house really cold inside (I blame all this excessive insulation - it's an absolute sauna in the loft above the 12 inches or so of fibreglass woollen stuff).  Mrs Nutty wanted heating on - I told her to sit in the garden  :smug:

We were cycling along the sea front on Sunday afternoon. The tide was in and there was one bloke swimming. I really envied him. It was lovely and warm.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #22 on: 19 October, 2011, 11:35:43 pm »
Those with central heating but with it switched off (or only switched on very recently):

1.  Do you have any supplementary little electric/gas heaters that you have been using a bit?

2.  Is your home very, very well insulated?

Otherwise I think you're being too harsh on yourselves!
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #23 on: 19 October, 2011, 11:40:12 pm »
I don't have any supplementary heaters.  well, not that work.  but we are a mid-terrace, so benefit from the neighbours as insulation and it's a small house with decent loft insulation and (dodgy) double glazing.  put the oven on for long enough to bake a couple of sorts of cake and the whole downstairs gets toasty :)

Mike J

• Guinea Pig Person
Heating on?
« Reply #24 on: 19 October, 2011, 11:45:57 pm »
I live in a first floor flat and get heat from downstairs :)

Generally we don't put our heating on until December.