Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1620430 times)

Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #11975 on: 12 April, 2020, 04:49:38 pm »
In these bizarre times I have found a local source of live yeast.  Used some last week with mixed results.   Plenty of flour for practise though.

« Reply #11976 on: 12 April, 2020, 06:57:07 pm »
In these bizarre times I have found a local source of live yeast.  Used some last week with mixed results.   Plenty of flour for practise though.

Somehow this sounds really sordid. Probably just my mind...

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #11977 on: 12 April, 2020, 07:52:42 pm »

Somehow this sounds really sordid. Probably just my mind...
No, same here...
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #11979 on: 12 April, 2020, 10:08:59 pm »
Jared & T42, double POTD  :thumbsup:
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #11980 on: 12 April, 2020, 11:59:58 pm »
Sick of getting "He is risen" messages CC'd from friends, as if "He" were a bloody cake.  They've known for the last 50+ years that I'm an atheist, FFS.

Maybe this will appeal more...

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #11981 on: 13 April, 2020, 12:06:59 am »
 ;D
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #11982 on: 13 April, 2020, 08:47:33 am »
 :thumbsup:

Re yeast shortage, MrsT keeps a starter going for months.  Bubbling happily this morning.  I keep threatening to feed it with ginger and make ginger ale.

Hmm... gingerbread.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #11983 on: 13 April, 2020, 11:50:18 am »
Sick of getting "He is risen" messages CC'd from friends, as if "He" were a bloody cake.  They've known for the last 50+ years that I'm an atheist, FFS.

For a moment there I thought you were referring to Bloody Stupid Johnson.  Srsly, there are arsesnuffling Johnsonites actually referring to the monstrous tub of horsehair in this manner.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #11984 on: 18 April, 2020, 03:42:29 pm »
Well I thought the noises were seagulls fucking around on the roof but noooope - we have a bird in the loft. Fuck.

Now whether it's nesting in there and was trying to chase me out or if it's just managed to get in but not out again I don't know. On my third trip up the ladder after peering around, going outside to peer around, going back into the loft to listen something birdlike and brown flew at my face. I nearly fell off the ladder which would have been great. I've shut the hatch for a second whilst I get the bedroom doors closed and then I guess it's open the hatch and see if it come out to daylight. And then to try and get it downstairs and out the door.

I really hope it's a stray and not nesting.

I really really don't want to be doing this right now.

I really really really wish I'd got the roof looked at last year.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #11985 on: 18 April, 2020, 04:12:35 pm »
this is only a grumble because I have been able to fix it....

Last night I thought I had a sudden power cut, but then I found the RCD in the fuse board had tripped. So I reset it, listened to all the bleeps as various devices powered back on and then click it was off again. So now it becomes a question of turning things off and turning on the RCD to find the culprit device, previously this was a heating valve but I had replaced the actuator in November and thought the issue solved, however the delay was rather indicative of the heating system so I turned off the boiler and turned on the power. It stayed on.  :-\

House was working and I could make diner but no heating or hot water.  The next check was to try the boiler but with only the hot water, click, darkness. OK more investigation needed. Open the airing cupboard where the cylinder and valves are and why is the carpet wet.  :o Long story short the spindle seal on the valve has failed and the water has got to the solenoid actuator and the limit switch hence the power outages. Further proven when I took the actuator off and disconnected the wiring at which point the hot water worked without issue. Fortunately replacement valves are readily available and so, after ordering online, at 8am this morning I could collect a new one from a local merchant.

Then came the task of draining the system, undoing the valve, splitting two other joints to allow the pipework to spread far enough to get the valve out, getting the old olives and nuts off, install the new valve, refill the system, start the pump an bleed the radiators. None of which I had planned on for today as I was planning to be working in the garden in readiness for plants to be delivered next week end.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #11986 on: 18 April, 2020, 05:18:23 pm »
After my son's managing to get a current account with a debit card, cash for the not handling of, coronavirus in the times of, we find out they don't give contactless to under-16s. Annoying and slightly silly.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #11987 on: 18 April, 2020, 05:31:52 pm »
Well I thought the noises were seagulls fucking around on the roof but noooope - we have a bird in the loft. Fuck.

Now whether it's nesting in there and was trying to chase me out or if it's just managed to get in but not out again I don't know. On my third trip up the ladder after peering around, going outside to peer around, going back into the loft to listen something birdlike and brown flew at my face. I nearly fell off the ladder which would have been great. I've shut the hatch for a second whilst I get the bedroom doors closed and then I guess it's open the hatch and see if it come out to daylight. And then to try and get it downstairs and out the door.

I really hope it's a stray and not nesting.

I really really don't want to be doing this right now.

I really really really wish I'd got the roof looked at last year.

You don't need to get it downstairs, I'd get it into a bedroom and out the window myself.

In a similar vein, I heard rustling from the (cleaned out) fireplace. Thought "Oh God, not another pigeon down the chimney".  Nope, house mouse in the ash can under the grate. Phew.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #11988 on: 18 April, 2020, 06:31:41 pm »
Ah but the upstairs windows are only teeny tiny top windows and currently flyscreened.

Though I haven't heard any noise for a bit after deciding I just couldn't even today. Either it's popped out for a bit or had a heart attack. Poor blighter.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #11989 on: 19 April, 2020, 10:16:59 am »
All day every day, the sound of strimming.  :(
Surely there can't be anywhere within a mile that remains un-strum.
Well yes there is. Another one has started up.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

fuzzy

« Reply #11990 on: 20 April, 2020, 10:05:00 am »
Strimming? I dream of strimming.

All day every day for the last two weeks (including the full bank holiday weekend) we have endured the sounds of Swish Fibre laying their infrastructurwe in a 100m radius of our garden.

Pneumatuic drills, industrial sized disc cutters (tarmac and concrete for the cutting of), heavy duty tampers and whaker plates.

Fuck off!

« Reply #11991 on: 22 April, 2020, 02:34:53 pm »
I'm still feeling under the weather from whatever lurgy I had earlier in the year, and now appear to be developing Hay Fever as well, which has never previously been a problem for me.  :(
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #11992 on: 23 April, 2020, 08:44:37 pm »
Prompted by a message from one of my other leaders, I found an email from the county Scout team in my inbox.

I have my machine set to "don't display images", so I get text plus rectangular block image place holders. Some where in there was a reminder (thanks matthew) about uniform and clapping and St George's Day.  Except it was an image. A picture of some words.

Failing on the accessibility front I feel. Complicating things for no good reason too.  I shall fire off a gentle grink.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #11993 on: 24 April, 2020, 08:02:53 am »
I shall fire off a gentle grink.
That's letting them off a bit lightly? A video of you spelling it out in semaphore would provide them with hours of entertainment as well.

« Reply #11994 on: 24 April, 2020, 09:29:17 am »
I shall fire off a gentle grink.
That's letting them off a bit lightly? A video of you spelling it out in semaphore would provide them with hours of entertainment as well.

If you ask each scout for a photos of letter could it count as part of the communicator badge?

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #11995 on: 24 April, 2020, 01:32:54 pm »
Thank you, I hate images of text, they're really pervasive in places they 100% shouldn't be... If it's a small org I will sometimes transcribe them on social media and post the pastebin link, if they're a big org I'll tell them to sort their access.

« Reply #11996 on: 24 April, 2020, 01:47:44 pm »
Colleagues: Stop whining about H&S. I've told you what to do and that's to get the H&S department involved. I did last time we had an issue and the twunt of a boss had to listen to him. I've told you who to get in touch with, so get on with it...
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #11997 on: 24 April, 2020, 10:24:48 pm »
Colleagues: Stop whining about H&S. I've told you what to do and that's to get the H&S department involved. I did last time we had an issue and the twunt of a boss had to listen to him. I've told you who to get in touch with, so get on with it...

tbh our H&S dept really are the last resort, particularly where my team is involved. we all have far more experience than they do, and understand both reality and theory
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #11998 on: 25 April, 2020, 08:43:54 am »

All day every day for the last two weeks (including the full bank holiday weekend) we have endured the sounds of Swish Fibre laying their infrastructurwe in a 100m radius of our garden.

Pneumatuic drills, industrial sized disc cutters (tarmac and concrete for the cutting of), heavy duty tampers and whaker plates.

Fuck off!
I'll take all of that any day over kids screeching at the top of their voices as they jump up
and down on garden trampolines. >:(

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11999 on: 25 April, 2020, 11:35:55 am »

Fuck off!
I'll take all of that any day over kids screeching at the top of their voices as they jump up
and down on garden trampolines. >:(

All are preferable to:

WOOF!  WOOF-WOOF WOOF!  WOOF-WOOF-WOOF-WOOF-WOOF! WOOF! WOOF!
*random length pause*
GOTO 10