Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1620208 times)

Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #12000 on: 25 April, 2020, 12:50:09 pm »
Colleagues: Stop whining about H&S. I've told you what to do and that's to get the H&S department involved. I did last time we had an issue and the twunt of a boss had to listen to him. I've told you who to get in touch with, so get on with it...

tbh our H&S dept really are the last resort, particularly where my team is involved. we all have far more experience than they do, and understand both reality and theory
Yebbut we're doing customer-facing work and the managers haven't done risk assessments and are even asking us to reuse disposable gloves. Of course, they are not customer-facing.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #12001 on: 25 April, 2020, 01:00:38 pm »
Colleagues: Stop whining about H&S. I've told you what to do and that's to get the H&S department involved. I did last time we had an issue and the twunt of a boss had to listen to him. I've told you who to get in touch with, so get on with it...

tbh our H&S dept really are the last resort, particularly where my team is involved. we all have far more experience than they do, and understand both reality and theory
Yebbut we're doing customer-facing work and the managers haven't done risk assessments and are even asking us to reuse disposable gloves. Of course, they are not customer-facing.

The rest of my team are doing shifts in a laboratory where there has always been a wear gloves policy. Trouble is our suppliers can't supply them at the moment so my team are being asked to reuse gloves where possible as well.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #12002 on: 27 April, 2020, 09:40:43 pm »
Fuckbollocks!   I just broke my favourite wine glass.  A chunky green glass goblet I bought from John Lewis (George Henry Lee's) last century.   Recycled Mexican glass.  I've got 2 more from the same batch, but this one had a nice dimple for my thumb  :(

Only the stem is broken.  What's god for fixing glass ?
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Davef

« Reply #12003 on: 27 April, 2020, 10:16:10 pm »
Fuckbollocks!   I just broke my favourite wine glass.  A chunky green glass goblet I bought from John Lewis (George Henry Lee's) last century.   Recycled Mexican glass.  I've got 2 more from the same batch, but this one had a nice dimple for my thumb  :(

Heat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Davef

« Reply #12004 on: 27 April, 2020, 10:16:42 pm »

Heat

Lots of

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #12005 on: 27 April, 2020, 10:17:55 pm »
Surgu is your friend
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #12006 on: 28 April, 2020, 08:35:03 am »
Strimming? I dream of strimming.

All day every day for the last two weeks (including the full bank holiday weekend) we have endured the sounds of Swish Fibre laying their infrastructurwe in a 100m radius of our garden.

Pneumatuic drills, industrial sized disc cutters (tarmac and concrete for the cutting of), heavy duty tampers and whaker plates.

Fuck off!
I'll take all of that any day over kids screeching at the top of their voices as they jump up
and down on garden trampolines. >:(

All are preferable to:

WOOF!  WOOF-WOOF WOOF!  WOOF-WOOF-WOOF-WOOF-WOOF! WOOF! WOOF!
*random length pause*
GOTO 10

Our next door neighbours have 2 sons about 15 & 16 that are into basketball (hoop on the back of the house etc) ..... with all the bouncing of the ball on the paving it's like living next door to the Harlem Globetrotters

Rob

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #12007 on: 28 April, 2020, 08:53:06 am »

Get Charlotte to weld it?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ian

« Reply #12008 on: 28 April, 2020, 09:17:49 am »
Remember the time I broke not one, not two, not three, but all four of the nice china bowls that my wife really liked.

She still remembers. Every time I open the cupboard she remembers for me.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #12009 on: 30 April, 2020, 02:41:53 pm »
Bloody hell Biggles.  :o
Is that journey absolutely necessary?
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

fuzzy

« Reply #12010 on: 30 April, 2020, 03:16:24 pm »
If it is the dual Biggles journey I think you mean then no, but who cares. He is worthy.

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #12011 on: 30 April, 2020, 04:36:44 pm »
If it is the dual Biggles journey I think you mean then no, but who cares. He is worthy.
No I didn't mean the spitfire hurricane fly past.  I meant the jet fighter that buzzed our house so low we didn't hear him coming.  So loud that the air was crackling.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12012 on: 30 April, 2020, 06:24:15 pm »
No I didn't mean the spitfire hurricane fly past.  I meant the jet fighter that buzzed our house so low we didn't hear him coming.  So loud that the air was crackling.

Time to paint some Bad Words on your roof?   ;D

« Reply #12013 on: 30 April, 2020, 06:29:27 pm »
Bah, still no eggs or flour at our local Tesco. Boooo!

I mean we don't really need it, more want it.

And yes, we could have gone shopping earlier in the day but then it would be busier and the queues longer. Oh well. Hopefully next time - trying not to go too often (especially due to my asthma) unlike the people who go in to seemingly buy half a dozen items at a time - that can't be a week's shopping surely?!  ???
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #12014 on: 30 April, 2020, 08:55:54 pm »

Seems that only encourages them.  I think that it was in this very place that I read of a farmer who wrote 'Fuck off Biggles' on his barn roof. Word got round at the local airbase and they all started to divert to check it out.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12015 on: 30 April, 2020, 08:59:23 pm »

Seems that only encourages them.  I think that it was in this very place that I read of a farmer who wrote 'Fuck off Biggles' on his barn roof. Word got round at the local airbase and they all started to divert to check it out.

Time to paint some Bad Words on somebody else's roof?   ;D

fuzzy

« Reply #12016 on: 30 April, 2020, 10:31:53 pm »
In that case  :o
Send him my way to crackle the Marlow air!

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #12017 on: 01 May, 2020, 12:22:15 pm »
Quote from: Basil
I meant the jet fighter that buzzed our house so low we didn't hear him coming.  So loud that the air was crackling.
When I was a very much younger, and considerably less grumpy, Lurker we used to get Canberras, F4s, Jaguars and Tornadoes at nought feet over our house as they practiced low* level flying quite often 3 or 4 in quick (well, yes they were fast jets) succession.  I rather miss it.

*An ex US Marine Corps A-10 pilot of my acquaintance regarded the RAF pilots as certifiable. He said (and I paraphrase), "We were authorised to fly down to 300 feet, and we used to very make sure we didn't go below this to avoid hitting the RAF planes who'd frequently be flying at 100 feet."
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #12018 on: 01 May, 2020, 12:47:14 pm »
Quote from: Basil
I meant the jet fighter that buzzed our house so low we didn't hear him coming.  So loud that the air was crackling.
When I was a very much younger, and considerably less grumpy, Lurker we used to get Canberras, F4s, Jaguars and Tornadoes at nought feet over our house as they practiced low* level flying quite often 3 or 4 in quick (well, yes they were fast jets) succession.  I rather miss it.

*An ex US Marine Corps A-10 pilot of my acquaintance regarded the RAF pilots as certifiable. He said (and I paraphrase), "We were authorised to fly down to 300 feet, and we used to very make sure we didn't go below this to avoid hitting the RAF planes who'd frequently be flying at 100 feet."

Gonna have to pull you up there - the A-10's only ever been operated by the USAF. The USMC were flying A/V-8 Harriers and F/A-18 Hornets during the late Cold War period.

And while the US pilots thought ours were mad, the masters of low flying had to be the Swedes. Per this dit from a RAF pilot given a ride in a Viggen:

They would fly around at Mach 0.95, 650kt give or take a bit, and they trained at 10m. We flew through firebreaks in trees, we flew all over northern Sweden at 30ft, and we never went below 600kt. All of this, I should add, was done under about a 150 to 200ft overcast with no breaks.

https://www.aeroseum.se/british-pilot-and-viggen/
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #12019 on: 01 May, 2020, 01:55:58 pm »
Quote from: spesh
...the A-10's only ever been operated by the USAF. The USMC were flying A/V-8 Harriers and F/A-18 Hornets during the late Cold War period.
Will check with him, probably still abed ATM.  I daresay he won't be amused that I thought he was USMC.  :)
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #12020 on: 01 May, 2020, 04:35:19 pm »
Ugh. Some git has dropped their dog poo bag in our bin after the bin men passed through but before I put the bin back in the cupboard.

Unfortunately the bin men tend to just hoik our full bag out rather than take the bin to the truck and tip the whole thing in so the dog poo will stay there now unless I climb in and transfer it to our bin bag.

I mean it's not the worst thing in the world, better than the dog shitting on our lawn but one of the reasons we don't have a dog is I don't want to deal with their mess.

And it's not the first time this has happened.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12021 on: 01 May, 2020, 04:42:20 pm »
Unfortunately the bin men tend to just hoik our full bag out rather than take the bin to the truck and tip the whole thing in so the dog poo will stay there now unless I climb in and transfer it to our bin bag.

I hate it when they do that.  I've had smaller bags of smelly rubbish linger at the bottom of the bin for weeks on end because they've just been grabbing what they can be bothered to reach.

Their current trick is more infuriating: Due to COVID-19 they appear to have given up on their oficial schedule, and for the last two weeks they've come a day early (after about a month of not coming at all).  Which would be fine if they emptied the bins that haven't been left out, but they don't.  I don't want to just leave them out on the off-chance they get collected when they're not actually very full, as it's difficult enough for people with mobility impairments to negotiate the Selly Oak Bin Slalom without trying to maintain 2 metres separation from other pedestrians.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #12022 on: 01 May, 2020, 04:56:15 pm »
Curiously, our bin collectors seem to be more reliable in the covid era than before.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #12023 on: 01 May, 2020, 05:01:24 pm »
Ah well we normally only have a single bag in there anyway but even when more they have always taken the lot. In fact once or twice when we've forgotten to put it out they've still emptied it for us albeit not every time. I think they wheel it when fuller it's just there's a ramp or steps down to the street so if it's a bag or two they consolidate our row of three into one bin to take to the truck.

The recycling guys are great at leaving the bins on the narrow pavement though rather than putting them back onto the lawn  :facepalm:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12024 on: 01 May, 2020, 05:06:49 pm »
Curiously, our bin collectors seem to be more reliable in the covid era than before.

What's striking is that our recycling collections have been running like clockwork.  It's just the non-recycleable waste that gets neglected.