Author Topic: DIY Paul Gino light mount  (Read 5198 times)

DIY Paul Gino light mount
« on: 14 September, 2009, 03:31:57 pm »
What I want is a pair of Paul Gino light mounts to mount my pair of Ixon IQs down low

Bicycle light mount on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

But I am not giving them $20 plus p&p a pop. However, I have a brilliant neighbour who has everything I remember from metalwork class in his workshop at the end of his garden, and an offer to help out with any machining I want done. He is an outstanding neighbour - he restores and races 1960s motorcross bikes.

I've found a place that sells offcuts, and asked if they have 1m of solid aluminium bar with a diameter of between 25.4 and 26mm. I reckon that with a lathe and a drill, I should be able to knock out a few of them pretty easy.

So where have I gone wrong? What should I be doing instead?

Thanks

Chris N

Re: DIY Paul Gino light mount
« Reply #1 on: 14 September, 2009, 03:55:07 pm »
So where have I gone wrong? What should I be doing instead?

Nothing - as long the hole has a nice flat bottom for the QR nut to sit on (you'll need a milling cutter rather than a drill), you'll be fine.  Though I'm not sure how you'll fit one either side of the fork - surely the QR lever will get in the way of one.

« Reply #2 on: 14 September, 2009, 04:01:51 pm »
I have mounts halfway up the fork leg. They are for something or other - I think they are called low- rider mounts, or something. I was going to put them there.

Thanks for the tip on the cutter.

Chris N

« Reply #3 on: 14 September, 2009, 04:10:08 pm »
Gotcha.  I thought they were axle-level.  I've got something similar made from black nylon that fits on the side of my Nitto M12 rack to fit the Solidlight to.

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
« Reply #4 on: 18 September, 2009, 08:53:57 pm »
Timber dowel with a hole drilled in it.

« Reply #5 on: 18 September, 2009, 11:04:20 pm »
I since found that Ison distribution do a similar product for 7 quid, and one of my local shops has them in stock. Add to that the fact that the metal offcuts company never got back to me, I'm ready to skip metalwork.

robbo6

« Reply #6 on: 21 September, 2009, 02:14:22 pm »
I've just turned out something similar for a M5 boss, if anyone else wants one PM me.

« Reply #7 on: 22 September, 2009, 09:23:28 am »
I since found that Ison distribution do a similar product for 7 quid, and one of my local shops has them in stock. Add to that the fact that the metal offcuts company never got back to me, I'm ready to skip metalwork.

Link?

« Reply #8 on: 22 September, 2009, 09:28:15 am »

« Reply #9 on: 22 September, 2009, 10:16:29 am »
That's the one.

aisha

« Reply #10 on: 23 September, 2009, 08:46:25 am »
Oh cool - I've been using a rubber doorstop on mine! (works quite well, but they weren't designed to be bolted onto a fork like that)

Would love to see what Robbo has made...

Blah

• Not sure where I'm going
« Reply #11 on: 23 September, 2009, 10:08:06 am »
Timber dowel with a hole drilled in it.

Xacly

Zoidburg

« Reply #12 on: 17 October, 2009, 05:20:08 pm »
I am fairly certain you could make one of these from a socket from a socket set, pop a nut in the hex end of the socket and just pop in a washer in the other side, then run the bolt through the nut from the socket drive side until it is tight and then just screw it into to boss.