Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 517683 times)

Re: ACME Miscellany
« Reply #3625 on: 31 August, 2019, 03:22:41 pm »
Is it too early to be planning an ACME Arrow assault ?  Sitting in a pub in York thinking about Easter.  Maybe a flattish route on fixed for team Catapult - non-fixed welcome too (as long as you tow for 399km.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #3626 on: 31 August, 2019, 03:31:28 pm »
I might be interested, only “might” mind...

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #3627 on: 31 August, 2019, 06:47:30 pm »
ECE minimum distance up to 400km would be my plan I think if I were to do it again.... however I am in retirement...
Regards,

Joergen

Phil W

« Reply #3628 on: 31 August, 2019, 09:23:13 pm »
Oscar's dad doing an Easter Arrow and Jiberjaber retired? It's the end of the world as we know it.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #3629 on: 31 August, 2019, 11:06:26 pm »
I assume the Winter Series will be running again this year?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3630 on: 01 September, 2019, 06:48:07 am »
Oscar's dad doing an Easter Arrow and Jiberjaber retired? It's the end of the world as we know it.

Quite possibly, only time will tell.

« Reply #3631 on: 01 September, 2019, 07:19:53 am »

The Nov, Dec and Feb events are in the calendar already.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #3632 on: 01 September, 2019, 10:57:22 am »
January is about to appear as well when my IT deficiencies have been resolved.

Jiber has "forgotten" that Arrows are exempted from the retirement rules.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3633 on: 01 September, 2019, 11:09:46 am »
I’d quite like to try the Arrow route which was our undoing in 20??

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #3634 on: 01 September, 2019, 01:11:01 pm »
January is about to appear as well when my IT deficiencies have been resolved.

Jiber has "forgotten" that Arrows are exempted from the retirement rules.

Cool, they'll be going in my plan, extended recovery. 110km Shaftsbury CC event yesterday and I can still walk, so far
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #3635 on: 01 September, 2019, 06:35:33 pm »
I’d quite like to try the Arrow route which was our undoing in 20??

Good Friday 2020 is April 10th, so earlier than this year, but better than a late March date as in 'that' year - 2015??? Welney was fine this year, but other crossings of the Ouse and Nene have their 'issues' if the washes are full after a wet winter/early spring. I might go further west again for more hills as that other wet year [and failure ::-)], 2018.

Last Easter, Mrs Tomsk had a plan to meet me in York and stay for the Easter weekend, but we went on a cruise immediately after instead. The York mini-break may be the plan in 2020.

I have to say this is the earliest I've thought about Arrows, plus I've broken the back of my new Audax season planning in August, for the first time ever! Enforced rest with my dodgy finger is largely to blame for the latter - I only need two to type.

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #3636 on: 02 September, 2019, 11:27:34 pm »

The Nov, Dec and Feb events are in the calendar already.

I tried searching calendar events by postcode - Dec, Jan and Feb events show up, after tracking it down the Nov event is showing a start location somewhere between London and Brighton, the route map looks correct though.

« Reply #3637 on: 03 September, 2019, 08:37:04 pm »
And now for something completely different

How about kicking 2020 off with something a bit different; a chance to use that 'gravel' bike you may have acquired in the recent past. Forget about the UK winter, head south. Indeed, a £35 ferry crossing gets you to Caen, and the start of the Normandicat Gravel.

The ride is on Sunday 12th January, but there will be some things going on during the Saturday. Interested? It's only 150km.

http://normandicat.com/gravel-2020/

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3638 on: 04 September, 2019, 07:50:48 am »
And now for something completely different

How about kicking 2020 off with something a bit different; a chance to use that 'gravel' bike you may have acquired in the recent past. Forget about the UK winter, head south. Indeed, a £35 ferry crossing gets you to Caen, and the start of the Normandicat Gravel.

The ride is on Sunday 12th January, but there will be some things going on during the Saturday. Interested? It's only 150km.

http://normandicat.com/gravel-2020/

Yes, possibly. Too early to say for sure yet.

« Reply #3639 on: 04 September, 2019, 08:53:07 am »

Cool. I'm assuming the Epiphany Ride will be the weekend before, which is closer to the 12th night.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3640 on: 04 September, 2019, 11:30:27 am »

Cool. I'm assuming the Epiphany Ride will be the weekend before, which is closer to the 12th night.

Or maybe we skip Epiphany for a year and do the gravel thing instead?   I’m not volunteering to organise Epiphany by the way, if it’s to happen someone else will need to volunteer.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #3641 on: 04 September, 2019, 11:59:33 am »

The week before, Saturday 4th Jan, would be the nearest to actual Epiphany!  :thumbsup:
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #3642 on: 04 September, 2019, 12:07:42 pm »
Gravel things sounds good but Epiphany on the 4th, Gravelly thing on the 11th and Oyster on the 18th may be a little too "bikey" politically.

Perhaps Oaky and I could organise Epiphany or maybe we should just stick to the after party.

« Reply #3643 on: 05 September, 2019, 12:09:40 pm »
I am duty bound to report a worrying trend on our Wednesday evening excursions - motor tourists.

It has long been the case that at least one of our number had confused the beer and bikes ethos with some form of dining club, often involving the use of motorised transport.  Not only has said member now extended this into motorised delivery and collection from our chosen venue but he is also enticing some of our more stalwart riders into joining him in his heretical ways.

Last night's trip to the Chappel Beer Festival marked a new low in such behaviour.  Poor old Jan van Speijk was the only member of the Witham peloton as he wound his lonely way through the lanes.  Meanwhile the previously reliable the Hustler was luxuriating in the back of Joergen's limo as they sped through puddles splashing cyclists, joggers and dogwalkers alike while throwing grapes at peasants.  At least we had a visit from one half of Jemango - sadly the bald chortling half.  The night was also brightened by an even rarer sighting of the lesser-spotted the Strangler who felt able to manage the 10 miles back to Serial Killer Hall on his actual bike despite being at a train station that would have taken him home.  The Hustler and Joergen could learn a lot from a stout Celt like the Strangler - that is, if they could actually understand what he was saying. 

It was a fairly quiet night at the festival which meant that not only did we not have to queue but also that there seemed to be a full selection on offer.  A variety of ales were sampled with particular highlights being the Dark Drake oatmeal stout from Dancing Duck and the Ginger Beer from Hadrian Border.  I unilaterally gave the Quaffers' Choice Award to Shingle Bay by Salcombe Brewery.  I just couldn't bring myself to consult full-time committee member the Hustler and first substitute Joergen as they lounged recumbent on the benches in their top hats and cravats.  It would have been difficult to tie down Joergen in any event as he was in full festival mode, rushing between tents and counters with his spreadsheet and highlighter pens whilst gobbling different gourmet offerings and slurping down ever increasing ABV beers - he topped out with a stout at 9% which I think even had his mighty constitution starting to
shudder.  The pair of them certainly took full advantage of the collection service kindly provided by Mrs Jiber.  There was one bright spot when a group of younger drinkers mistook Joergen for being from Cornwall.  Quite how you confuse a Dutch deep house DJ with a south westerner is hard to fathom but it seemed to amuse them.

Meanwhile I was recruiting for the ACME Catapults Arrows squad.  I think I have pre-contract agreements from the Strangler and the Hustler but Fandango was very non-committal.  He remains bitter about our previous success where our route was 398km thus depriving him of a precious point.  He also has continuing grumbles about the fact that we stopped at the Sainsburys in Spalding to don actual warm overnight gear.  Apparently gloves, leg warmers and jackets are frivolous affectations on an overnight ride in April.

Before we knew it, a CAMRA volunteer who was clearly Asterix the Gaul was trying to usher us out of the venue.

Fortunately for those of who bothered to come by bike it was a mild and dry ride home with none of the unexpected rain dumps that we had experienced on the way there.  The blustery winds made life interesting but were mainly helpful.  It will be some months before we are back in sandals and short sleeves on the way home.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3644 on: 05 September, 2019, 12:57:57 pm »
Did any of you actually manage to celebrate the 10th anniversary???

« Reply #3645 on: 05 September, 2019, 04:10:20 pm »
I think Tomsk led those celebrations last week at the Spiritual Home - or possibly just had a debrief on the French Ride and forgot all about it.  I wasn't there so I don't know.

We can do it properly at Epiphany.

Andy C33

• Beverage Procurement Officer.
« Reply #3646 on: 05 September, 2019, 04:40:47 pm »
I am duty bound to report a worrying trend on our Wednesday evening excursions - motor tourists.

I could get used to this horseless carriage thing, it’s the future don’t you know.

« Reply #3647 on: 05 September, 2019, 04:49:08 pm »
One ponders who might be the first to turn up on an e-bike. Carlos and OD must be joint favourites.

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #3648 on: 05 September, 2019, 05:28:54 pm »
One ponders who might be the first to turn up on an e-bike. Carlos and OD must be joint favourites.

OD probably.

Despite being completely unfit, being blown off the road by Maldon CC on the way there and hammered half to death by ted and a gentleman sheep on the way home, I'm persevering with self propulsion.

Where were you?

« Reply #3649 on: 05 September, 2019, 07:18:53 pm »
Where were you?

Too far from the centre of the universe for me last night