Author Topic: Expanding hoses and connectors  (Read 1052 times)

Expanding hoses and connectors
« on: 24 June, 2020, 06:25:04 pm »
We have a couple of those expanding hoses for the garden. I hate them but that's by the by.

The thing is I need to connect them to normal hoselock type stuff and the the expanding hoses use threaded connectors that definitely aren't your normal tap connector thread.
Anyone know if there is a standard for expanding garden hoses and if so what the thread is or who makes decent adaptors ? All the ones I can find that look like they might do are in Shenzin China.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
Re: Expanding hoses and connectors
« Reply #1 on: 24 June, 2020, 07:32:06 pm »
I've been fiddling about with linking up various hoses at our allotment - post some pics and I may be able to help?

Rob

« Reply #3 on: 24 June, 2020, 09:03:19 pm »

I have one of the expanding hosepipes. It has developed mulitiple leaks. As soon as I purchase an alternative, it will be consigned to the bin.
Groundlevel Expandable Garden Hose

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 24 June, 2020, 10:23:29 pm »
Point of curiosity: I've seen those in their flaccid state hanging from people's taps from time to time, and wondered whether they go *WUMPH* and extend like a party streamer when you turn the water on?

« Reply #5 on: 24 June, 2020, 11:11:18 pm »
Point of curiosity: I've seen those in their flaccid state hanging from people's taps from time to time, and wondered whether they go *WUMPH* and extend like a party streamer when you turn the water on?
We've got a couple, and yes they do, but slowly, so there is no sound. When not in use, they contract in length a lot.
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

« Reply #6 on: 25 June, 2020, 08:17:53 am »
Thanks all. Ordered a brass pair and a plastic pair form Amazon. Will let you know if they work.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #7 on: 25 June, 2020, 09:27:11 am »
Our expanding hose has normal fittings - well, Hozelock ones.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #8 on: 25 June, 2020, 10:06:38 am »
Our expanding hose has normal fittings - well, Hozelock ones.

Lucky man. Most seem to come with a female threaded coupling at one end and a male at the other. Maybe its a USA thing?

« Reply #9 on: 25 June, 2020, 01:25:09 pm »
I'm sure our expanding hose thingy is by Hozelock.  Had it a year without issues.  We have a normal hose too.

In the winter I was hoping to see if frost would stop the expanding one working but it never seemed to get cold enough.
Move Faster and Bake Things

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #10 on: 25 June, 2020, 01:37:06 pm »
More importantly, do they also feature a party streamer tooty thing, to make a tooty noise?
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11 on: 25 June, 2020, 01:40:20 pm »
More importantly, do they also feature a party streamer tooty thing, to make a tooty noise?

When I was about 5, I was utterly terrified of those things.  Unfortunately, I had a little brother...