Author Topic: The Good News Thread  (Read 1109115 times)

Si_Co

Re: The Good News Thread
« Reply #1675 on: 04 December, 2009, 09:23:56 pm »
Got home last night to find two brown envelopes from HM customs and revenue, GULP, thirty mins to get up the bottle to open one......

Five years they stuffed up our tax credits and there's now five hundred squidlies in the Mrs' account

RESULT ;D ;D ;D

And the other one?
it's in duplicate of course, it is taxpayers money after all

Androcles

• Cycling Weakly
« Reply #1676 on: 04 December, 2009, 10:10:07 pm »
Found out yesterday that my job's safe - for the time being, anyway.

The autumn maintenance project (replace creaking BB and worn chain on the audax bike) has steadily morphed into a significant proportion of a new bike, so I'm looking forward to a little extra motivation for the New Year
Wave upon wave of demented avengers march cheerfully out of obscurity into a dream

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1677 on: 04 December, 2009, 10:38:42 pm »
That's definitely good news. :)
Getting there...

Androcles

• Cycling Weakly
« Reply #1678 on: 05 December, 2009, 01:18:03 am »
Thanks, Clarion

Conventional wisdom says that you mean the job, but I'm pretty sure you mean the bike.
Wave upon wave of demented avengers march cheerfully out of obscurity into a dream

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1679 on: 05 December, 2009, 10:23:43 am »
I know Ashwell & Morden station.  Not many trains actually stop there.  And it's quite exposed.  I've spent many cold hours waiting on its platforms.  And we can hope he did too ;D

Not fun.
Partner is on an (allegedly) non-stop Kings Cross - Cambridge train as I type..

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #1680 on: 05 December, 2009, 10:39:13 am »
Another 2 prizes from Uncle ERNIE this month.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1681 on: 05 December, 2009, 11:56:09 am »
Thanks, Clarion

Conventional wisdom says that you mean the job, but I'm pretty sure you mean the bike.

Tis the happy combination.
Getting there...

« Reply #1682 on: 05 December, 2009, 11:58:23 am »
Another 2 prizes from Uncle ERNIE this month.

:o

Fiddlin' about.
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #1683 on: 05 December, 2009, 03:33:21 pm »
I have just had a very contrite Best Western representative on the phone apologising for the catalogue of errors briefly ranted about here:
The RANT thread (often contains fruity language)
and offering a refund and a preferential rate if we'd care to stay again.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #1684 on: 07 December, 2009, 04:42:41 pm »
I just ordered n+0.4, n+0.3 and n+1. :smug:

O ho ho ho I love the cycle to work scheme and they should be ready by that winter festival we're not celebrating in my house.

:thumbsup: and little dance.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #1685 on: 07 December, 2009, 07:47:15 pm »
I appear to have purchased a(nother) small person bike.  This takes my bike purchasing for this year to (counts on fingers) 5.  And I haven't bought mine yet - or the smallest crinkly-cub's! :)  When you consider that prior to this summer I had bought precisely one bike ever, I'm having a good bike-buying year!

Chris S

« Reply #1686 on: 07 December, 2009, 08:52:07 pm »
I just ordered n+0.4, n+0.3 and n+1. :smug:

O ho ho ho I love the cycle to work scheme and they should be ready by that winter festival we're not celebrating in my house.

:thumbsup: and little dance.

This a Good Thing  :thumbsup:.

Have you perchance stumbled across a step-through laydee's frame suitable for the Fixed Gearing thereof?

« Reply #1687 on: 08 December, 2009, 08:56:43 am »
Have you perchance stumbled across a step-through laydee's frame suitable for the Fixed Gearing thereof?

Not quite, it's a boys frame (must be- it's blue)- I finally found a cheap runt-sized number for fixin'. Should get it to Madgett's on Saturday for his boys to build up for me, I'll be falling off embarrassingly before the year is out  :D

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1688 on: 09 December, 2009, 12:32:21 pm »
I'm pleased to say that this Rant seems to have worked, as my symptoms, which peaked quite significantly last night, are reducing. :thumbsup:
Getting there...

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #1689 on: 09 December, 2009, 12:32:57 pm »
I'm pleased to say that this Rant seems to have worked, as my symptoms, which peaked quite significantly last night, are reducing. :thumbsup:

I shall try it...
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1690 on: 10 December, 2009, 12:10:17 pm »
Just exchanged a couple of texts with younger daughter. She tells me that because the Head of Public Affairs is ill, she's got to stand in for a meeting with the Leader of the House of Lords. ;D
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #1691 on: 10 December, 2009, 08:03:50 pm »
I brought a lottery scratchcard (something I rarely do) the other day to cheer myself up...

... I won £100!  :thumbsup:

And I felt well enough to go to the work Christmas party today...  :thumbsup:

...but I now seem to be developing a fever again - and an ear infection  :(
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

CrinklyLion

« Reply #1692 on: 10 December, 2009, 09:53:10 pm »
Today, I have removed a pair of pedals.   And extracted a crank.  And I remembered what all the bits I learnt last week were, so I didn't have to say "the what?  What's a noodle?  Rear mech?  What's that then?" and look too much like a cliched stooopid gurl (I was the only bird volunteering tonight).  And I took cake to the nice people who are teaching me to dismantle bikes :)

(bear in mind that for me this is very advanced stuff!  Well, not the cake.  I'm good at cake.)

« Reply #1693 on: 10 December, 2009, 11:04:02 pm »
Today, I have removed a pair of pedals.   And extracted a crank.  And I remembered what all the bits I learnt last week were, so I didn't have to say "the what?  What's a noodle?  Rear mech?  What's that then?" and look too much like a cliched stooopid gurl (I was the only bird volunteering tonight).  And I took cake to the nice people who are teaching me to dismantle bikes :)

(bear in mind that for me this is very advanced stuff!  Well, not the cake.  I'm good at cake.)

Excellent. Now don't get me wrong here, this is not intended to belittle those of us who make cake. I make cake and it is an accomplishment that I rate quite highly, but "extracted a crank and remembered what you learned last week", now that is worth applauding.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

CrinklyLion

« Reply #1694 on: 10 December, 2009, 11:45:05 pm »
Particularly given that by this point in the school year I often have trouble remembering what I did yesterday...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1695 on: 11 December, 2009, 10:20:41 am »
I think I will be able to manage to squeeze in 60km today :thumbsup:
Getting there...

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #1696 on: 11 December, 2009, 01:22:33 pm »
I shall be calling into Longstaff's on Monday to see if they have a buff witha peak.The Good News is that my Financial Director (a.k.a. SWMBO) has just acquainted me with the endofyear £ status & there's enough for a trike :demon:

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1697 on: 11 December, 2009, 02:19:03 pm »
I have now finished work until 6th January.

I did my final hour in my Friday school today - I started there about 14 years ago and have decided that Fridays are now mine - and the bloody head teacher didn't even have the courtesy to come out and thank me for my efforts.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #1698 on: 11 December, 2009, 03:02:53 pm »
My new shoes have arrived at Putney Cycles. :thumbsup:
Actually, it is rocket science.

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #1699 on: 11 December, 2009, 03:56:00 pm »
I brought a lottery scratchcard (something I rarely do) the other day to cheer myself up...

... I won £100!  :thumbsup:

Hah - I took inspiration from you Reggie (I do hope you are eeling better today) and bought a scratchcard..

...I won £5  :thumbsup:

Yeah, its not as big as your swag but better than a slap in the face.  :)