Author Topic: Essex Super Randonneur in a (Long) Week, 19 - 27th September 2020  (Read 11566 times)

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
Another cunning plan that has been simmering away ...

SR in a week:

19/20 weekend: Flatliner 600
Mid-week: 300 DIY based on the Green and Yellow Fields, plus a 200 permanent
26/27 weekend: 400km DIY based on the Asparagus and Strawberries

My thinking is: get the 600 done first, treat the 300 & 200 as 'recovery rides' (full value) and tackle the 400 at the end. I may fit in a couple of work days, depending how I feel, with the option of scratching the mid-week rides and concentrating on the long ones.

DIY controls:
300km: Dunmow, Mildenhall, Deepdale, Snetterton A11 Services, Woolpit, Dunmow. 06:00 start, should see me at Mildenhall by 09:00-ish, then taking a laney route west of the main A1065, (normally ridden at night on the calendar event midnight start), for about 5 bonus kms. I've done this before on Herman's perm version. Some new roads to explore back to Snetterton, then the Horsepower (reversed) home.

400km: Essentially the A&S route, but missing out Saffron Walden and coming straight back to Dunmow from Barton Mills McDonalds. An 05:00 start should see me at Manningtree for a second breakfast between 08:00 - 09:00 then be on the usual calendar event schedule. As far as I know, the Reedham Ferry is working normally!

BTW, Team Cambridge have booked out the 6 available Flatliner brevets for 26th September.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Essex Super Randonneur in a (Long) Week, 19 - 27th September 2020
« Reply #1 on: 21 August, 2020, 08:24:40 pm »
Of course British Cycling will be allowing sportives with up to 600 riders that weekend but hey, that is AUK.
https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/article/20200820-cyclo-sportive-Sportives-and-non-competitive-events-to-resume-in-September-under-new-guidance-0
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #2 on: 21 August, 2020, 08:48:45 pm »
Hi Tom

I'm very interested. Please count me in.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Proving ambition is undone by ability since 1958...

rob

« Reply #3 on: 21 August, 2020, 08:50:26 pm »
New job starts 14th and I have my 600 sorted.

Might be able to join for the 400 but don’t let me take anyone else’s spot.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: 22 August, 2020, 09:09:34 am »
I should add (because Wilkyboy prompted me), that the usual 4 events (permanent or calendar) or 3 events plus a DIY, for the Essex SR is waived for the duration. Mine'll be 2 x perms + 2 x DIYs.

« Reply #5 on: 22 August, 2020, 12:39:57 pm »
Of course British Cycling will be allowing sportives with up to 600 riders that weekend but hey, that is AUK.
https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/article/20200820-cyclo-sportive-Sportives-and-non-competitive-events-to-resume-in-September-under-new-guidance-0
This month we are still on 'max 6 riders on a permanent route in any one day' restriction: "The limits on participant numbers will remain in place."
But surely on 1 Sep, in line with any calendar events "we are also able to resume calendar events up to a nominal distance of 300k from the 1st of September", the limitation on numbers riding a permanent route on any one day will be lifted.
https://audax.uk/news/covid-19-update-13-august-2020/
Of course riders will be required on both permanents and calendars to keep groups to 6 or less (or other limit imposed locally or home nationally) and follow Audax UK https://audax.uk/static-data/covid-19-resumption-of-events-guidance-and-behaviour-codes/
Perhaps this will allow @Tomsk to open his Flatliners 600 to more than 6 (on 26 Sep, or 19 Sep).

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: 22 August, 2020, 05:15:28 pm »
Looks like I'll maybe need more Flatliner brevets!

Deano4

• Trouble
« Reply #7 on: 23 August, 2020, 09:42:20 pm »
I would be interested in joining you for the 400km!
ACME - Suffolk Branch

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: 24 August, 2020, 07:49:40 pm »
^ Excellent Deano! I have had a few other enquiries, so get your DIY entries done soon folks! If we have different starts then meet up around 09:00 as suggested upthread at Mildenhall (300) and Manningtree Station Cafe (400). I wasn't planning on a long stop at Mildenhall, just a snack, but the lure of a second breakfast at Manningtree is too much! Deepdale cafe would be a good half-way feed on the 300 and the usual stops on the 400, though the takeaway curry in Melton Constable last year was much better than holding out for fish and chips in Wells, despite the wait.

« Reply #9 on: 24 August, 2020, 07:59:26 pm »
... though the takeaway curry in Melton Constable last year was much better than holding out for fish and chips in Wells, despite the wait.

I'm riding up in the north this weekend. Depending on my finish time on the second day, I have a takeaway curry as an option for my evening meal. I've marked my route some 10km before that point, so I can order my food and then collect when I get there!

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Deano4

• Trouble
« Reply #10 on: 24 August, 2020, 09:05:11 pm »
^ Excellent Deano! I have had a few other enquiries, so get your DIY entries done soon folks! If we have different starts then meet up around 09:00 as suggested upthread at Mildenhall (300) and Manningtree Station Cafe (400). I wasn't planning on a long stop at Mildenhall, just a snack, but the lure of a second breakfast at Manningtree is too much! Deepdale cafe would be a good half-way feed on the 300 and the usual stops on the 400, though the takeaway curry in Melton Constable last year was much better than holding out for fish and chips in Wells, despite the wait.

Thanks Tom! Entry has been submitted for the DIY. Starting and finishing at Great Dunmow.

See you on 26th.   :)

-Dean
ACME - Suffolk Branch

rob

« Reply #11 on: 24 August, 2020, 09:10:57 pm »
Forgot to say.  I did an Asparagus and Strawberries version a few weeks back.  I didn’t get over as far as Manningtree, picking the route up at Halesworth.  I went a little further East to take in some extra bits of the Norfolk Coast.

The Reedham Ferry was running then and it was still a quid.

I might reverse the route as a DIY but I’ll see how the 600 goes this weekend.

« Reply #12 on: 26 August, 2020, 01:57:33 pm »
19th/20th is weekend of my Four Minute Mile 200 and rescheduled Stevenage Start of Summertime 200.  I’ll assume you will be doing your Flatliner and not expect you on the start lists of either of my calendar events.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: 26 August, 2020, 06:11:47 pm »
19th/20th is weekend of my Four Minute Mile 200 and rescheduled Stevenage Start of Summertime 200.  I’ll assume you will be doing your Flatliner and not expect you on the start lists of either of my calendar events.

Yes that weekend is the start of my window of opportunity to go a bit mad! I think I should do a back-to-back weekend of 2x200s first, probably 5/6th September. The ACME Bivvy Extravaganza on the intervening one will be training of some sort, re-hydration mostly I fear.  :facepalm: ;D

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #14 on: 27 August, 2020, 09:23:28 am »
I should add (because Wilkyboy prompted me), that the usual 4 events (permanent or calendar) or 3 events plus a DIY, for the Essex SR is waived for the duration. Mine'll be 2 x perms + 2 x DIYs.

One calendar event (Richard Ellis Memorial, Horsepower, ECE'ed winter series events), one perm (Flatliner), and two DIYs for me  :thumbsup:
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #15 on: 06 September, 2020, 07:54:38 pm »
In preparation for this, I've managed to find time to do 2 x 200s this weekend: Courses for Horses (H4C reversed) yesterday - a bit headwindy on the return, situation normal then, and Dick Turpin today, also reversed - met the Straggler twice on the road, riding the right way round. Much the same average speed and riding time (though less windy today, but then DTDO is a bit hillier I think), only two full feed stops (though more controls, receipts required and so more time off the bike). Also had a nice break in the Six Bells, Walsham-le-Willows - pint of Southwold bitter and some crisps, listening to some good ol' Suffolk dialect. A proper old-fashioned local - actually the only place open there - both the cafe and the Blue Boar were shut.

Poppy behaved too - I've managed to cure the odd noises that developed over the past few rides (mudguard rattles, pedal creaks, handlebar clicks and bidons squeaking in the cages). I guess my fitness must be up to scratch, so just the weather in a couple of weeks time to worry about now ...

the straggler

• ACME Award Recipient & ROTY 2021
« Reply #16 on: 06 September, 2020, 08:50:45 pm »
, and Dick Turpin today, also reversed - met the Straggler twice on the road, riding the right way round. Much the same average speed and riding time

I think you are being too generous. My legs began to feel heavy after 35km and after a bowl of porridge at A&H in Gt Dunmow, it took a good 2.5 hours to feel good again  in Clare. Had my legs not recovered at Lavenham, then I would have quit with a half hour ride home in shame. Having spotted a good bench to eat my mid-ride lunch at Thorpe Morieux, I was beaten to it by a husband and wife on an leisure afternoon ride by 10m and was gutted to loose out on that. All went well apart from the last 45km into the slight headwind again. Pleased to get round in time in 12.33 hours in only my 2nd 200km this year- so room for improvement.
CCS - Setting the Standards

« Reply #17 on: 06 September, 2020, 08:54:32 pm »
Good luck. I’m still working out options on a 600 route as I ponder a late assault on an SR.

rob

« Reply #18 on: 06 September, 2020, 09:49:22 pm »
I have several Essex 200s and a DIY300 from Friday taking me through Suffolk to the edge of Norwich.

I have a window for another crack at the Flatliner this week before my new job starts on the 14th.   I’ll then do a DIY400 probably the last weekend of the month.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: 07 September, 2020, 10:46:34 am »
, and Dick Turpin today, also reversed - met the Straggler twice on the road, riding the right way round. Much the same average speed and riding time

I think you are being too generous. My legs began to feel heavy after 35km and after a bowl of porridge at A&H in Gt Dunmow, it took a good 2.5 hours to feel good again  in Clare. Had my legs not recovered at Lavenham, then I would have quit with a half hour ride home in shame. Having spotted a good bench to eat my mid-ride lunch at Thorpe Morieux, I was beaten to it by a husband and wife on an leisure afternoon ride by 10m and was gutted to loose out on that. All went well apart from the last 45km into the slight headwind again. Pleased to get round in time in 12.33 hours in only my 2nd 200km this year- so room for improvement.

I think I was about 10 miles into the ride when I first met you, then at about 80 miles when I was coming in towards Lavenham. About where I thought we might pass. Ok, I was a couple of hours quicker in the end, maybe you needed more porridge in Dunmow - was it the Paradise cafe you visted?

Bernster

• ACME (Herts Branch)
« Reply #20 on: 07 September, 2020, 01:36:27 pm »
I've been keeping an eye on this thread with interest, as I'm quite keen to do an SR for the season. I would have been up for joining you on DIYs in the long week, but work and family commitments have scuppered that. As we seem to have a decent weather window at the moment, I rode a 400k last Thursday night into Friday up to Peterborough, then East into Norfolk and back home via Halstead and Dunmow. I struggled round partly due to digestion issues, and partly as I'd not ridden singlespeed for more than about 10km since February (my arms are killing me)! Being the glutton for punishment that I am, I'm looking at fitting in a 600k later this week, using two loops with a sleep stop back at home - hopefully I'll have recovered enough by then to at least enjoy some of it!

I look forward to reading about everyone's exploits on here - I've been very impressed with how much people have been riding! Hopefully get to see some or all of you on the road again at some point soon - as much as it's good to be back out riding longer distances again, long solo DIYs make me miss the social side of calendar rides/group perms even more  :thumbsup:

the straggler

• ACME Award Recipient & ROTY 2021
« Reply #21 on: 07 September, 2020, 01:37:23 pm »
It was the Angel & Harp. I was expecting thin ready brek style consistency that goes down easily. Instead it was proper museli size oats that I had problem getting it down. Tried chewing at first but opted to swallow it in the end. The portion was huge and only cost £3.50. That's good vfm.
CCS - Setting the Standards

« Reply #22 on: 07 September, 2020, 05:20:48 pm »
I have several Essex 200s and a DIY300 from Friday taking me through Suffolk to the edge of Norwich.

I have a window for another crack at the Flatliner this week before my new job starts on the 14th.   I’ll then do a DIY400 probably the last weekend of the month.

It was crap weather ended your first attempt wasn’t it or was the step up in distance also a bother ?

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #23 on: 07 September, 2020, 05:24:34 pm »
Chapeau Bernster, well Audacious! 600km with a sleep stop after about 22 hours worked for me before on a DIY - make use of your full 42 hours @ 14.3kph and you'll be flying on the second stage.

rob

« Reply #24 on: 07 September, 2020, 05:54:31 pm »

It was crap weather ended your first attempt wasn’t it or was the step up in distance also a bother ?

I’ve done the ride several times and usually sleep at my Mum’s which is very convenient at 400k.  Last year, when I was quite fit, I was there by 10pm and left again at 6am.  Conditions were pretty benign, though.

On the last attempt we had a rough headwind and it was wet.  On the edge of Lincoln I estimated I’d get back at around 2am.  TBH that would have been OK as Sunday would have been easier and shorter.  About half a mile before I threw in the towel I rode past the nursing home where Dad died 3 weeks earlier.  Basically I stood at the side of the road being blown sideways and pissed on and just thought bollocks to it.  I’m not normally like this but this year has not been normal.

On the distance side I had done an invalidated 400k ride a few weeks earlier so wasn’t massively worried.

It looks like I’ll go again Thu/Fri this week.  The weather looks quite benign.  I’ll probably break earlier at Gainsborough as there’s Travelodge rooms going at 35 quid.