Author Topic: 100 press-ups done, now what?  (Read 1919 times)

100 press-ups done, now what?
« on: 05 January, 2009, 03:50:13 pm »
I'm really pleased with the way the 100 press-up challenge went.  I've lost nearly a stone, got a crease down my stomach, and built up my arms from puny to average.  I've got faster on the bike and feel better about myself.  But now I don't know what to do.  Since I did the 100, I've been repeating the last week of the program, but it's hard to keep motivated.  I'd like to continue doing something like it with a clearly defined aim.  I don't want to start going to the gym. 

I was thinking about dividing all the numbers by 4 and doing pull-ups in place of press-ups.  Is this a good idea? Will it work? I like the idea of working with your own body weight rather than artificially bulking up through weight training.  Are there other similar exercises I should be working on?

I'd be interested in any thoughts and advice from the panel.  Thanks :)

Re: 100 press-ups done, now what?
« Reply #1 on: 05 January, 2009, 03:56:24 pm »
How about http://60situpschallenge.blogspot.com/

I hit the 100 push ups a week before Christmas and now attempt the 100 twice a week, just to keep the fitness up.  Sometimes I make it, sometimes I don't.  It seems a bit hit and miss.

If you can get to a gym (or have a turbo trainer at home) then I think power interval training is probably the single best way of improving cycling speed and endurance, especially if the time is limited.
The sound of one pannier flapping

« Reply #2 on: 06 January, 2009, 08:24:15 am »
Hi Phil - I've been thinking about this since you posted it but I'm still not sure I have a sensible reply!

You'll get bored if you just keep doing the press ups, so I think it's a good idea to add some new stuff  - while keeping doing some press ups too - no point losing all that strength! There are lost of variations you can try - t-push ups, close grip, etc - google and you'll find lots of stuff.

Chin ups and pull ups would be good. They're really hard! So yes, if you tone down the programme for push ups, that might work well. And add in some bodyweight squats (basically fast-ish squats while holding your hands out in front or above your head - get your heart going) and lunges to work your legs too?

I have a wee workout that I do in hotel rooms etc if I can't get to a gym (yeah, I'm weird): it's 20-30 of the following:

body weight squats
push ups
reverse lunges
side plank (30 secs)
closegrip push up
side plank
mountain climber - http://www.tryingfitness.com/core-strength-mountain-climbers/

I do that three to five times, with a minutes rest between (but no rest between the exercises themselves)

Or do a pyramid - do, say, five each of press ups, sit ups, squats (you can make up your own list, depending what you like), then ten each, fifteen each, up to twenty/thirty/whatever is hard for you, then back down through the numbers - the last five of each will be really hard!

« Reply #3 on: 06 January, 2009, 10:12:22 am »
Thanks, that's exactly what I was after! I'd not heard of most of those.  It's mostly my own laziness that I'm struggling with, so novelty and goals are good. 

The link toontra posted had a further link to The Twenty Pull-up challenge, a massive rip-off of the hundred press-ups, but still a handy guide to training.  I'll wander off and do an exhaustion test soon :)