Author Topic: The health and fitness thread about random things  (Read 475637 times)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Re: The health and fitness thread about random things
« Reply #4000 on: 07 July, 2022, 08:38:14 pm »

If ever you go for a biopsy on your prostate watch out for the long needle that injects the anaesthetic! It's about 4 inches long! It made me scream as it was pushed inside me! Having the surgeons take the samples wasn't too bad. My first pee after the procedure was the colour of a dark red wine. I'm a bit tender below, so no riding for a few days.

Today’s visit to the Urology Department handed me the news I didn’t want to hear. On a scale between 2 – 10 (with 2 being the mildest form of the prostate cancer, and 10 being the most aggressive) mine is 7.

I have been given tons of information to read through, with the aim of choosing the most appropriate form of treatment.

Sorry to hear that. Hope whatever treatment you have goes well.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #4001 on: 08 July, 2022, 08:22:09 am »

If ever you go for a biopsy on your prostate watch out for the long needle that injects the anaesthetic! It's about 4 inches long! It made me scream as it was pushed inside me! Having the surgeons take the samples wasn't too bad. My first pee after the procedure was the colour of a dark red wine. I'm a bit tender below, so no riding for a few days.

Today’s visit to the Urology Department handed me the news I didn’t want to hear. On a scale between 2 – 10 (with 2 being the mildest form of the prostate cancer, and 10 being the most aggressive) mine is 7.

I have been given tons of information to read through, with the aim of choosing the most appropriate form of treatment.

I can only repeat; cancer sucks.

Too many people I know getting cancer.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Genosse Brymbo

• Ostalgist
« Reply #4002 on: 08 July, 2022, 12:18:59 pm »

Sorry to hear that, Michael.  Both my brother-in-law and best friend were diagnosed with aggressive prostate cancer, the former a number of years ago and the latter in the past year.  Both chose to have it surgically removed and both are making a good recovery and leading active and fulfilling lives.  There is a range of other, effective treatments, which you'll no doubt read about.  Wishing you all the best.
The present is a foreign country: they do things differently here.

« Reply #4003 on: 08 July, 2022, 12:51:17 pm »
Thanks for the kind words. I am very much upbeat about things, as I've addressed the issue early.
Besides, I want to enjoy my retirement  :-D (after having worked for 42 years).

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4004 on: 08 July, 2022, 02:44:06 pm »

That's a bastard.  Sympathy, and bon courage.

I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #4005 on: 08 July, 2022, 02:52:38 pm »
All the best with that. If it helps, I cycle regularly with an ex PC person who is going strong.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #4006 on: 08 July, 2022, 07:44:15 pm »

Sorry to hear this. Hopefully whatever treatment you choose, works well for you.

BrianI

« Reply #4007 on: 08 July, 2022, 07:45:58 pm »
Finally got my shiny new Medical Driver's Licence in the post today...  Not too bad considering I only filled in the bumph for a medical drivers license enquiry November 2021, and it was only a few weeks ago the DVLA contacted my consultant... 

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #4008 on: 09 July, 2022, 04:36:09 pm »
Good luck making treatment choices De Sisti, and hope they are able to zap the cancer good and proper!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #4009 on: 09 July, 2022, 04:52:52 pm »
Wishing you all the best, De Sisti.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4010 on: 11 July, 2022, 10:08:05 am »
Going to have a gastroscopy under anaesthetic next week and the anaesthetist wants me to stop taking clopidogrel until then.  Asked cardiologist if I could still ride and he said no.

Colour me shit fed up.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #4011 on: 11 July, 2022, 11:49:20 am »
Thanks for the kind words. I am very much upbeat about things, as I've addressed the issue early.
Besides, I want to enjoy my retirement  :-D (after having worked for 42 years).
Hear hear.
Best.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #4012 on: 11 July, 2022, 08:03:47 pm »
Apparently sunlight makes men but not women hungry. It's to do with oestrogen protecting dna from UV damage, it says.
https://www.theguardian.com/science/2022/jul/11/sunlight-may-trigger-hormone-that-makes-men-hungrier-study-suggests
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #4013 on: 12 July, 2022, 08:08:48 am »
Just got a email from the doctors. Knee x ray confirms osteoarthritis  :'(
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #4014 on: 12 July, 2022, 09:44:17 am »
Just got a email from the doctors. Knee x ray confirms osteoarthritis  :'(
I've spent the last 12 months going from 'normal person levels of activity' to 'needs a crutch to get round a supermarket'.
Presumably other levels of deterioration are available.

barakta

« Reply #4015 on: 12 July, 2022, 10:40:46 am »
Sorry to hear that Cycleman and indeed Fboab. I don't think many people realise how painful and debilitating arthritis is until they experience it.

Hope both of you can get some decent treatment!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4016 on: 12 July, 2022, 01:37:54 pm »
Going to have a gastroscopy under anaesthetic next week and the anaesthetist wants me to stop taking clopidogrel until then.  Asked cardiologist if I could still ride and he said no.

Colour me shit fed up.

Pre-gastroscopy interview with anaesthetist this morning.  I mentioned being told not to take clopidogrel for the 8 days preceding and he said bollocks, who told you that? Some bloke here when I phoned to make the appointment, quoth I.  Nah, four's enough, sezee, so tomorrow yrs trly is heading for ye hills.

BrianI

« Reply #4017 on: 12 July, 2022, 04:52:00 pm »
Saw consultant today

Lumber puncture results "unremarkable".

Bloods taken for genetic testing.

If they come back all clear, it'll be a tick box diagnosis of something "Functional". :facepalm:

« Reply #4018 on: 12 July, 2022, 07:46:22 pm »
Sorry to hear that Cycleman and indeed Fboab. I don't think many people realise how painful and debilitating arthritis is until they experience it.

The notes I've been sent recommend swimming and.............cycling as good exercise for this condition 😯😀. I  should cycle at 150 minutes a week. Well I'll try  ;)

barakta

« Reply #4019 on: 12 July, 2022, 08:34:06 pm »

The notes I've been sent recommend swimming and.............cycling as good exercise for this condition 😯😀. I  should cycle at 150 minutes a week. Well I'll try  ;)

Both of those are reasonable suggestions, do they have any other advice about pain management?

I know your case is more complicated cos of your spinal injury but iirc there's things like medication or joint replacement.

« Reply #4020 on: 12 July, 2022, 09:14:55 pm »
We are all getting old & falling to bits!   Good wishes to De Sisti, BrianI, Cycleman & Fboab.   Hope the medics can do miracles for you all.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4021 on: 12 July, 2022, 09:56:51 pm »
Bloody knees.  Sympathies to all afflicted, and fingers crossed that barakta's (due for x-rays later in the week) don't feel like joining in.

BrianI

« Reply #4022 on: 15 July, 2022, 02:45:55 pm »
Letter from neurologist today about lumbar puncture results

"glucose was 3.2/4.3, protein 0.78 (mildly raised - unlikely of any significance), white cell count 2, red cell 0 and oligoclonal bands are awaited."

???

No doubt the oligoclonal bands will be negative too...

« Reply #4023 on: 15 July, 2022, 06:38:45 pm »

Both of those are reasonable suggestions, do they have any other advice about pain management?

I know your case is more complicated cos of your spinal injury but iirc there's things like medication or joint replacement.
As for pain management the notes say about the possibility of injections to the knees and when you're completely immobile knee joint replacement 🤔 😕

« Reply #4024 on: 15 July, 2022, 07:32:10 pm »

As for pain management the notes say about the possibility of injections to the knees and when you're completely immobile knee joint replacement 🤔 😕
Injections can be very effective in some cases. It has allowed my father (b.1929) to continue playing tennis, trundle a trolley round the supermaket, walk to the shops etc. They won't repeat them too frequently however, due to the risk of infection.