Author Topic: The health and fitness thread about random things  (Read 475612 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: The health and fitness thread about random things
« Reply #4175 on: 12 December, 2022, 10:32:50 pm »
Get well soon!

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #4176 on: 14 December, 2022, 08:57:56 pm »
Erk, hope your illness is mild and you recover soon.

« Reply #4177 on: 15 December, 2022, 11:59:06 am »
NHS IT - For the last 18 months I've been having 3 monthly blood tests done. After a few weeks the practice nurse rings up and talks me through the results. After the last one there was no phone call so I looked on the practice website and found my results - all within normal bounds hence no phone call. Tried to look for the previous test results but they only keep one set so I can't see what has changed.

Storage isn't that expensive.
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

« Reply #4178 on: 18 December, 2022, 10:53:24 am »
I spent a while last week hunting around websites - the Drs surgery one says that I can access them on the NHS app or Emis, Emis says the surgery hasn't ticked the box so they can get access to the records, the NHS app doesn't seem to have them either. Eventually I filled in a form on the surgery website asking for the results, and got a text from them. Joined up seems to vary somewhat (but the surgery are pretty good at responding to that webform quickly).

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #4179 on: 18 December, 2022, 11:15:35 am »
Something went Spang! in my back Friday as I got up from the sofa. Couldn't bend easily to put stuffs in the oven, but it got a bit easier as time passed. Got some  Voltarol* and applied that. Yesterday afternoon it was Bad Swears hurty but improved a bit by walking. Terrible night's sleep, vitamin I at midnight didn't touch it. It's not back pain, more like near the hip pain with numb skin.
Hobbling round with a walking stick today, can't tie my shoes. xkcd 883 applies.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4180 on: 18 December, 2022, 11:49:06 am »
IANAD but it sounds like a nerve pinch, possibly spine- or sacroiliac-related.  I had a very nasty dose of that ~10 years back. It did eventually go away.

I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #4181 on: 18 December, 2022, 03:03:27 pm »
Yesterday afternoon, driving back from seeing daughter, I thought I felt flu-ish.
Once I'd got in and had a chance to take stock, I decided I was definitely suffering with a lurgi.

I went to bed early (almost unheard of) and apparently spent a lot of the night rambling about random sh¡t.
Today all I'm left with is a vague achy swollen spot in my armpit, and overwhelming lethargy. It's all I can do to drag myself to the loo.

I'm strongly of the opinion that it's not a physical illness, just physical manifestation of a week (or more) of daughter-related stress.

I guess 24 hours of rest should see it off (ready for the next trip to see daughter on Tuesday!).
And then there's Christmas in which to be ferkin jolly about.....
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

barakta

« Reply #4182 on: 18 December, 2022, 04:08:06 pm »
Do an LFT just in case? That way you can ensure you're not adding Covid to a place where it's really best avoided.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #4183 on: 19 December, 2022, 12:01:54 pm »
IANAD but it sounds like a nerve pinch, possibly spine- or sacroiliac-related.  I had a very nasty dose of that ~10 years back. It did eventually go away.
Take a house point and a gold star.

Physio at the GP practice agrees with you. Exercises, keep mobile, come back in x weeks if it gets worse.  It was much better this morning and I could tie my own shoe laces.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4184 on: 05 January, 2023, 10:27:14 am »
OUCH! Right quad, exterior, 10-12 cm above knee. Sharp sporadic pain started during night, recurred a few times, gone by morning, came back 20 minutes ago when I got up from my desk, seems to occur on relaxation of muscle rather than contraction but not sure. Definite hollow, which may already have been there, at pain site.

Don't like this, feels like a tear. :(  Everyone please shout bugger! right now. Thank-you.

barakta

« Reply #4185 on: 05 January, 2023, 05:39:37 pm »
BUGGER!

Sorry to hear this T42, bodies are RUBBISH so much of the time.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4186 on: 06 January, 2023, 09:00:12 am »
 :thumbsup:

Thanks, barakta. No further pain but area a bit tender.  The next ride will tell.

« Reply #4187 on: 07 January, 2023, 09:01:56 am »
The last couple of times I've started on a major journey I've experienced severe anxiety attacks (palpitations, bowel control, unable to string a sentence together etc) - it's happened at a railway station, and at an airport in Spain - where I was rescued by a lovely security lady.

Two questions :
1) I've seen that beta-blockers can reduce these issues. Any experiences here & are they worth trying on a private prescription?

2) Is this the sort of thing that airport 'Special Assistance' handles? (Mrs M always uses airport wheelchairs because of her cardiac issues anyway)

I'm looking at an airport departure in about 3 months, and even thinking about it is setting me off!

I know I need to get to the root causes, but I don't have any headspace for that yet - daughter issues fill that up nicely thank you!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4188 on: 07 January, 2023, 10:23:03 am »
This sort of issue strikes me as ideal for a non-urgent e-consult with your GP.
Beta blockers are cheap as chips for the NHS & your GP will have insight into your personal and family health.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4189 on: 08 January, 2023, 07:55:37 am »
:thumbsup:

Thanks, barakta. No further pain but area [of putative quad tear] a bit tender.  The next ride will tell.

Next ride told: quad worked, no further pain, so a cautious unbugger might be appropriate. My experience of tears in the past chimes with this: I once had a tear 10k from the start of a 100k ride but had no further pain the rest of the way. Doc had a poke at it and confirmed the tear, saying that I could strap it up if I wanted but it wouldn't make any difference.  Anyway, did >100k yesterday so leg still functional which is all that matters.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4190 on: 08 January, 2023, 08:09:39 am »
Two questions :
1) I've seen that beta-blockers can reduce these issues. Any experiences here & are they worth trying on a private prescription?

I was on BBs for 3 years after my first coronary stent.  Dunno if I was any less nervous but I was bloody angry most of the time because my heart wouldn't go over 130 bpm and struggling up mountains with insufficient O2 reaching my legs was murder.  Cardiologist had warned me, too, that stopping them abruptly could be dangerous - they had to be tapered off.

If you do consult your doc over them, make sure he knows you're a cyclist. You may find a dosage level that will allow you to stop them without risk on cycling days. A chum of mine managed that.

« Reply #4191 on: 08 January, 2023, 08:47:04 am »

Two questions :

If you do consult your doc over them, make sure he knows you're a cyclist. You may find a dosage level that will allow you to stop them without risk on cycling days. A chum of mine managed that.
Worth thinking about!

A bit more research shows that use of beta-blockers for situational anxiety is an off-label use, the suggested regime is very low single dose (10mg)about an hour before the 'stressful event'.
Based on what you've pointed out I'd guess that even this low dose would be counter-productive for someone who got an anxiety attack before, say, a race or even the start of an Audax.

Based on Helly's words of wisdom - I've put in a request using the surgery messaging system.

barakta

« Reply #4192 on: 08 January, 2023, 05:12:17 pm »
I hope your GP is supportive Mike, I think it's good to have it on their books that you are struggling, that you have limited capacity due to DaughterIssues TM but you'd like some short term help to manage things which may otherwise improve your general wellbeing and hopefully MH options in the future.

As for airport assistance, I don't believe there's rules on what you need to have to ask for it. If you feel it would assist with acute MH difficulties, then book and ask for it. 

« Reply #4193 on: 09 January, 2023, 08:50:18 am »
I was on BB for a couple of months. Don't think they reduced anxiety, but they aren't 'comfortable'. I found the sensation quite suffocating.

Speaking of suffocating, this damn virus has got me. Suspect I have the same thing that my daughter had back at start of Dec (and still hasn't thrown off, she's now dependent on an inhaler). Lungs on 50% I reckon.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

barakta

« Reply #4194 on: 10 January, 2023, 12:45:49 pm »
I think taking BBs regularly for Whatever Reason and occasionally for anxiety management are hopefully fairly different in effect and potentially dose.

I tried propanalol (the basic one they usually start with) for migraine prophylaxis and at 40mg I just got really cold which was miserable so I ditched them. Annoyingly the effective dose for migraine prophylaxis is actually a lot higher than most GPs will try, I had a migraine clinic letter about it... As ever, the treatment for the migraine is worse than the migraines - same for fucking triptans.

Hope whatever Lurg you have Mr C is as mild as possible and fucks off soonest!

« Reply #4195 on: 10 January, 2023, 02:40:48 pm »
I hope your GP is supportive Mike, I think it's good to have it on their books that you are struggling, that you have limited capacity due to DaughterIssues TM but you'd like some short term help to manage things which may otherwise improve your general wellbeing and hopefully MH options in the future.

As for airport assistance, I don't believe there's rules on what you need to have to ask for it. If you feel it would assist with acute MH difficulties, then book and ask for it.
Thanks
Very helpful conversation with a GP this morning. She has proposed a 6 month trial of Sertraline which should also help with the baseline anxiety caused by the family issues. She's also agreed to the option of beta-blockers if I don't find the anti-depressant helpful in the short term.
This seems like a result.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4196 on: 10 January, 2023, 05:11:19 pm »
 :thumbsup: Here's hoping.

barakta

« Reply #4197 on: 23 January, 2023, 09:22:42 pm »
Started feeling unwell last Tuesday afternoon, thought it was a migraine, it lingered as I sometimes get (postdrome for 4-5 days and increased trigger risk isn't uncommon for me :( ) and then got worse again on Thursday, I thought triggered by being under a light which sometimes overloads photo-phobia brain.

Was off sick on Friday, couldn't look at screens then or all weekend until this evening.

I think if it started as a migraine, it's now not the only thing wrong. I think is sinuses which overlaps for me a lot. I've spent the last 2 days taking all the meds that might help symptoms to get "less shit" episodes, but not good. I did not go to work today even from home - too dead.

This feels like the weird atypical sinusitis I had in Oct 2017 that triggered my ENT-GP (former registrar) to write "Go straight to 2nd line antibiotics, do not delay on suspected respiratory anything" on my record. Sadly ENT-GP left (Covid burnout I think :( ) but the remaining colleagues have always served me well.

FFS. Too tired for this.

« Reply #4198 on: 23 January, 2023, 09:56:36 pm »
Bugger. Sounds awful.  GWS.  Sending healing thoughts.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #4199 on: 23 January, 2023, 10:11:15 pm »
Started feeling unwell last Tuesday afternoon, thought it was a migraine, it lingered as I sometimes get (postdrome for 4-5 days and increased trigger risk isn't uncommon for me :( ) and then got worse again on Thursday, I thought triggered by being under a light which sometimes overloads photo-phobia brain.

Was off sick on Friday, couldn't look at screens then or all weekend until this evening.

I think if it started as a migraine, it's now not the only thing wrong. I think is sinuses which overlaps for me a lot. I've spent the last 2 days taking all the meds that might help symptoms to get "less shit" episodes, but not good. I did not go to work today even from home - too dead.

This feels like the weird atypical sinusitis I had in Oct 2017 that triggered my ENT-GP (former registrar) to write "Go straight to 2nd line antibiotics, do not delay on suspected respiratory anything" on my record. Sadly ENT-GP left (Covid burnout I think :( ) but the remaining colleagues have always served me well.
a

I've suffered from blocked nose on and off for years. Sometimes had a spray which might relieve it for a while. Recently I read a drink recipe which has worked well after two or three doses. Hot water with honey and half of squeezed lemon, then add one tablespoon of olive oil and a teaspoon of ground cinnamon. Might be worth a try?