Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3895352 times)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #23650 on: 30 June, 2020, 03:58:02 pm »
Early morning 40km circuit ridden purely to take in the lane from Hound Green towards Chandler's Green that I haven't ridden in donkey's years.  If it wasn't for requiring a busy section of the B3349 from Hook towards Reading I would ride it more often but at 5.30am I had the B-road to myself.  If I was into such things I would probably be creating a sizeable cube on Veloviewer at the moment, but I'm just happy taking roads less travelled at the moment.  I was passed by 2 cars on the whole trip. 
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #23651 on: 30 June, 2020, 04:58:34 pm »
First commute in ages due to not having a bike. Picked new one up on Sat but not tested due to the tropical west coast weather! 50km today on it and it felt quite good to be back on a bike again but as mentioned above, the driving today was shocking, likely down to the shops opening up properly now and people in a rush to get there  :'(
Mind of a cyclist, body of a dart player.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #23652 on: 30 June, 2020, 09:18:01 pm »
The day grows old. Somewhere in the distance, the wail of a great klaxon breaks the silence. I am inexplicably drawn to follow it, through the hungry gaping maws of the great iron portals leading to the mines of industry.

Recalled from furlough from tomorrow.
Now remind me, how do you put clothes on? It seems awfully complicated.

So one last hurrah, a spin around the route of the Dee Lechtable 200k audax, which may or may not run later in the year from my home town.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3693639416

« Reply #23653 on: 03 July, 2020, 08:21:54 am »
12 miles yesterday evening around Burnham beeches  :)
the slower you go the more you see

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #23654 on: 03 July, 2020, 01:29:28 pm »
A right shambles this morning.  Realized when wheeling the bike out that an 'orrible rubbing noise was coming from somewhere, and eventually traced it to my nice new 28mm tyre grazing once per rev the upper crosspiece between the seat stays of my supposedly 28mm-rated frame.  A frenzied bout of tyre-changing later and I rolled out with El Prez and a scunner against Conti, whose 28mm tyre is more like a young 32.  Over the first decent climb & down into the valley, El Prez says "I don't feel too well, I'm going home" and confides that his BP this morning was 98/60 mmHg, which is somewhat bloody low.  So we trogged the 10k to his abode at a very sedate speed.  After leaving him there, still breathing, I didn't feel like going anywhere else so I turned for home, only to be stricken halfway with a dire attack of the screaming shits.  No adequate cover and nowhere with accessible bogs to hand, climbing back over the initial hill was sphincter-cracking agony; and the final clenched-buttocked sprint into the house was probably quite entertaining for any onlookers, especially given the cleats.

24k, last time I looked at the GPS, which is still on the bike in the workshop and probably not switched off.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #23655 on: 03 July, 2020, 02:18:30 pm »
A bleak, drizzly, windswept 88km in yonder Peak District. Went up an absolute doozey of a climb at Stoney Middleton that goes up onto Longstone Edge past a quarry, starts around 20% and eventually slackens off to a moderate 6-7%. Been a couple of years since I went up there and I've shaved over a minute off the really steep bit according to the Strava.

« Reply #23656 on: 03 July, 2020, 03:05:43 pm »
Went out for 60km last night. Totally different weather from last week. Left home in heavy rain but jacket was off after a couple of K. Unfortunately we headed into the rain and as was warm didn't bother putting it back on. Fairly uneventful ride after a complete womble decided to overtake down a lane thats one car wide. Started to chase down but calmed before caught him. Glad I had my tourer with full guards and dynamo lights as was very wet and pretty dark as we for towards end of the ride

Highlight was probably seeing a tawny owl. Seen plenty of barn owls but no tawnys. Home in the fairly dark and started to cool as got nearer home to the point when I jumped in the shower my fingers were tingling.

« Reply #23657 on: 04 July, 2020, 03:50:19 pm »
We drove to Corbridge (nice little market town in the Tyne valley), then while the current Mrs Socks mooched around the town I cycled back home.  Muggy and dry to start with and a nice ride on minor roads then a cycle route along the riverside.  By the time I got back to 'civilisation' (otherwise known as Chester-Le-Street) steady drizzle and stayed damp for the last hour back home.  Nice to get on some roads that I haven't used for a while instead of my usual Covid loops.  Traffic has become a nuisance again though.
Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.

« Reply #23658 on: 04 July, 2020, 04:00:25 pm »
Out early doors to try and beat the rain (unsuccessful) and get a decent run on the new bike. Nice to be out after a long wait for it but got a right soaking for the final 20km's

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/51889256

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #23659 on: 05 July, 2020, 09:50:07 am »
Did a daylight Not The Dunrun from home out to Aldeburgh yesterday. Nowhere as busy as I expected pub/shop/cafe-wise, though I did stop in Bures on the way back for a pint to celebrate Goodbye America Day. I spotted a couple of Stars and Stripes - heard that the pubs opening here on 4th July was a big headline in the States. I found a couple of lanes new to me, including a lovely one from Wickham Market heading for Blaxhall, that deteriorates into an unrideable (on road tyres) deeply sandy track to a level crossing. 144 miles, half of it back into a stiff breeze.

Btw, I noticed a handful of Dunrunners pass the house last night around 11pm.

« Reply #23660 on: 05 July, 2020, 10:24:17 am »
Out early doors to try and beat the rain (unsuccessful) and get a decent run on the new bike. Nice to be out after a long wait for it but got a right soaking for the final 20km's

Corrected:
You were too keen.  I left it until 1PM and went round a 100km loop over the Dukes and got it dry all the way.
How are you liking the new bike ?

« Reply #23661 on: 05 July, 2020, 10:50:40 am »

You were too keen.  I left it until 1PM and went round a 100km loop over the Dukes and got it all the way.
How are you liking the new bike ?

Getting there, a few adjustments to saddle required but it feels good so far.

« Reply #23662 on: 05 July, 2020, 01:57:45 pm »
Boxhill loop with Mrs h including a stop at Destination Bike.

Hard work on the way out. Flying on the way back. Boxhill was oddly quiet compared to when we were there about five weeks ago.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #23663 on: 05 July, 2020, 06:12:13 pm »
Went out for a loop over Ports Down to Wickham, across to Botley, down to Park Gate and then a rather wind-assisted blast back along the A27 to Pompey.

I'm not saying the westerlies are strong at the moment, but I rode this 32-mile loop a full eight minutes quicker than a couple of weeks ago, when the wind was from the south-east. ;D
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #23664 on: 05 July, 2020, 09:37:40 pm »
We decided to get our static caravan at Bunn Leisure in Selsey ready to stay in, now that we are allowed to again.  Mrs CET drove down and I used the excuse of needing to work on the garden down there to ride down and back.  Added a few tweaks to the route down and back to reduce the distance done on busy roads, although there is nothing that can be done to avoid traffic between Chichester and Selsey.  The winds were pretty fierce at times but mostly crosswind so the hedges gave a lot of protection and the pure headwind sections were mercifully short.  181km all told.  And the garden down in Selsey is all weeded and tidied up ready for us to stay next weekend.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #23665 on: 05 July, 2020, 10:34:01 pm »
I rode home from my sister's this morning, after her birthday party - nothing quite cures a hangover like a ride around the North Pennines.

Very sensibly, I used the old colliery lines to hide from the wind, up through Lanchester and across Hownsgill Viaduct to pick up the Waskerley Way, then across Waskerley Dam and to Wolsingham via some lovely tracks. A final bit of offroad up to Todd Carrs with the wind bringing a conveyor belt of showers down the dene was a bit much at times, but the howler of a tailwind back up to Hill End and along Weardale to Harperley made up for it (I had planned to go back over Bollihope, but not in that wind).

« Reply #23666 on: 06 July, 2020, 06:30:49 pm »
Yesterday, I rode over to see my mum in Rochdale, went over Snake to Glossop and took as many lanes and back roads as I could see on the map for the rest of the journey. Strong headwind all the way out, the forecast said 20mph, I believe it.

Returned via Holmfirth taking the A635. Stonking tailwind and heavy downpours. Everything got wet and then I got splashed by a driver going through a big puddle, lovely...

The rain calmed as I got back into to South Yorkshire coming over Hade Edge back in via Langsett and Stocksbridge.

I was mostly dry when I got home, except my feet, twice in 10 days I've had soggy feet.

136km & 2500m of climbing, good ride but I'd like less weather please.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #23667 on: 06 July, 2020, 08:44:06 pm »
I rode to Badger, but didn't see a badger.  Just a bastard northwesterly.

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #23668 on: 06 July, 2020, 08:47:52 pm »
Anniversary of Richard III's coronation so rode from his birthplace to where he was killed in battle. 193km there and back. We had planned to also visit his burial place on the way back :hand: but as Plague City was closed...

« Reply #23669 on: 07 July, 2020, 08:44:36 pm »
Just a little 10 mile ride Burnham beeches way getting caught in the rain this evening  :)
the slower you go the more you see

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #23670 on: 08 July, 2020, 09:53:51 am »
My old 100k/1% training loop.  Used to do it non-stop*, once without even putting a foot down for intersections.  This time I did it with a total of 117 seconds of incidental halts, which is pretty good if you don't count the hour I spent at the coffee-shop after 40k.  Hurting like hell today, mostly quads & trapezoids. Pleased all the same.

Oh aye, log note "Large floppy black insect plastered onto L shin twixt Mouterhouse & Baerenthal, yuk."

* and a hell of a lot faster. Anno domini is a bitch.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #23671 on: 08 July, 2020, 11:44:28 am »
A wee run on some lanes last night including a ride up the Crow rd (Campsies).  Its the first time I've "had a go" on it for ages and despite the fact that I'm going quite well my time was down again on last year (which fits with annual trend) and my "numbers" were mediocre.   I'm not too bothered but I do think my fastest times are behind me now.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #23672 on: 10 July, 2020, 09:47:19 pm »
230km on zillions of little lanes in Berkshire, the eastern Wiltshire border, and Hampshire.  Used Ride with GPS to pick a route with roads less travelled and set off at 8am.  I wanted to see if I could do 200km without a cafe or shop stop and managed it (not using the Premier Store in Whitchurch (Hants) at 175km.  Not making any stops made it the quickest 200km I have done for a few years.  But the best bit was discovering loads of pretty lanes around Brightwalton and Chaddleworth which I would never normally take as they don't really go anywhere.

« Reply #23673 on: 10 July, 2020, 10:26:21 pm »
Did 220km yesterday to see how endurance was ahead of audax restart. Two stops for water, and total 55 mins stopped.

« Reply #23674 on: 11 July, 2020, 04:45:46 pm »
110k today, quite hilly in the first half climbing up from Hexham to Allenheads and then the steep climb towards Rookhope.  Easier after that with the Westerly wind behind me down Weardale and back to the coast.  Quite oikish through Crook and Willington with a few comments shouted out by car passengers, as usual I couldn't make out what was said but probably not complimentary.  (I was on the recumbent).

In the absence of audax points I haven't had the motivation to do anything longer than this, hopefully I'll be able to get back into it with a DIY 200k in August.
Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.