Author Topic: Turbo trainer fan?  (Read 3217 times)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Turbo trainer fan?
« on: 02 January, 2023, 12:30:36 pm »
HK has been increasing the time spent on her smart trainer and dissolving into a puddle of sweat is now a real risk, particularly as temperatures increase.

What is a good choice of fan? Quiet and under £100 is the preference. She has some loyalty points that could be used up at Argos.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Re: Turbo trainer fan?
« Reply #1 on: 02 January, 2023, 12:48:14 pm »
Wahoo make The fan but it is expensive. https://uk.wahoofitness.com/devices/indoor-cycling/accessories/kickr-headwind-buy-uk

I use a Vacmaster 1202 https://www.cleva-uk.com/products/vacmaster-air-mover. Available even cheaper from wicked, etc.  I have it attached via a smart plug so I can turn it on via Siri at the end of the warm up and off for the cool down. I think I bought it on the recommendation of DCrainmaker

« Reply #2 on: 02 January, 2023, 07:52:59 pm »
I use two of these 16 inch DC motor pedestal fans:

https://probreeze.com/products/fans/16-inch-pedestal-fan-powerful-low-energy-dc-motor/

Very quiet and remote controlled.

I like to get the draught at body level. They never need to be used at full speed. In the summer they can be used in bedrooms and other living spaces, thanks to being almost silent!
Move Faster and Bake Things

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 02 January, 2023, 09:59:19 pm »
I've got the EcoAir equivalent which I smart-ified last summer with an ESP32 because I discovered a simple serial interface between the control panel and the motor controller and it would have been rude not to.  Linking that to a speed sensor for turbo purposes would be a nice little side project...

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #4 on: 03 January, 2023, 10:10:06 am »
There was a thread on the TR forum some years ago where someone had come across a good fan and there was a discount code for them..... since then they seemed to have woken up to the market oppertunity!

https://www.cleva-uk.com/

https://www.cleva-uk.com/products/vacmaster-cardio54-fan
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #5 on: 03 January, 2023, 01:50:24 pm »
I have the original vacmaster (and used the discount code) and it is orders of magnitude better than the 3 other fans we have.

We also have smart plugs so we can remote turn on.

(I'll see if HK will be my Zwift-friend, talking/riding with other people can make it less awful)

« Reply #6 on: 07 January, 2023, 06:19:27 pm »
I have a big floor fan... but hung on the wall in front of me, blasting head and body.
It's plugged into a extension cord with switches which is placed where I can reach it while riding.
Stays on "1" a lot of the year and gets turned up only if I'm Zwifting in the hottest weather.
Back in the saddle :)

offcumden

• Oh, no!
« Reply #7 on: 16 January, 2023, 07:57:39 pm »
I have  https://www.johnlewis.com/john-lewis-2-in-1-fan-16-inch-white/p4918533  which is excellent - 8 speeds, very quiet, remote control. £55.  Don't know how it compares to a big industrial fan, but it certainly does the job for me on the turbo, and is quiet and elegant enough for boudoir use in a heatwave. Last summer we went to sleep with it set to turn off after, say, an hour.

What made it even more satisfactory as a purchase was that I discovered that Argos were selling the same item under a different brand name for £80!  https://www.argos.co.uk/product/3931640?clickPR=plp:10:30

« Reply #8 on: 16 January, 2023, 10:05:53 pm »
My fan is entirely eco-powered :demon: :thumbsup:

« Reply #9 on: 17 January, 2023, 09:24:18 am »
Apropos of the question, no I'm not, but I do it anyway, sometimes.

offcumden

• Oh, no!
« Reply #10 on: 17 January, 2023, 09:57:47 am »
My fan is entirely eco-powered :demon: :thumbsup:

And I expect you get a good hosing down by the forces of nature from time to time, too?  ;D

Nice s/s!

« Reply #11 on: 17 January, 2023, 01:44:11 pm »
I do actually retreat to the kitchen when it's very wet or sub-zero. Although a little drizzle can be refreshing, and gives the effect of spectators spraying water ;)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #12 on: 23 January, 2023, 09:13:27 am »
Hopefully HK will enjoy her Vacmaster. Thanks for the suggestions.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #13 on: 23 January, 2023, 11:48:27 am »
I've got a Sealey HVF18 which is great.  Eventually got round to hooking it up to an Alexa-controlled smartplug last night.  Usually use it on the middle of three settings - it's only a shame that you can't change the setting remotely.  I think the only way around that would be to get more fans on more smartplugs!

« Reply #14 on: 23 January, 2023, 12:39:57 pm »
I've got a Sealey HVF18 which is great.  Eventually got round to hooking it up to an Alexa-controlled smartplug last night.  Usually use it on the middle of three settings - it's only a shame that you can't change the setting remotely.  I think the only way around that would be to get more fans on more smartplugs!

;D  That's what I've ended up doing.  3 Vacmasters - 1 is a Cardio so the 3 settings are handlebar controlled and the other 2 on smart plugs so have to set the level in advance (depending on the session and ambient room temperature) but can be voice-switched on/off.  So a potential 9 intensities.
The sound of one pannier flapping

« Reply #15 on: 23 January, 2023, 01:49:10 pm »
;D  That's what I've ended up doing.  3 Vacmasters - 1 is a Cardio so the 3 settings are handlebar controlled and the other 2 on smart plugs so have to set the level in advance (depending on the session and ambient room temperature) but can be voice-switched on/off.  So a potential 9 intensities.
:o ;D

« Reply #16 on: 23 January, 2023, 03:29:08 pm »

I clearly have never worked hard enough.

offcumden

• Oh, no!
« Reply #17 on: 23 January, 2023, 03:36:32 pm »

I thought the same!  My turbo is in an unheated spare bedroom, and I open a window to avoid steaming up. During the current weather it is several minutes before I'm warm enough to turn on the fan at its lowest setting. Sweating takes a little longer.

« Reply #18 on: 23 January, 2023, 04:50:31 pm »

Full throttle is only required on threshold and VO2 Trainerroad sessions in the summer months  ;D
The sound of one pannier flapping