Author Topic: Recumbent commuting - a beginner's tale - 1  (Read 1478 times)

Recumbent commuting - a beginner's tale - 1
« on: 26 June, 2018, 09:07:26 am »
Made my second commute today. About 12-13 mph average and 24mph top speed. Poor stats but I'm learning.

For example there's a bridge over a main road that is a simple up and over blip. I changed down from mid ring to small ring very early. In fact I doubt I needed to change down. I was moving quickly and a simple drop a cassette ring or two would have seen me crest the hill albeit slowing down but I'd have saved a bit of time there.

It's like that all along the route. I'm learning to play around with gears again. I didn't do that much on my df because I can turn a moderately big gear even up the hills on my route. I'm also learning the route and learning when to change gears and the best gear to take each time.

Then I'm losing time by not playing to the recumbent's strengths which is the downhill. I'm slower than my df uphill but I'm not gaining anything going downhill. In fact I'm slower downhill on my bent too.

The route is not too bad. Today was nearly empty of traffic and I don't know why. Considering roadworks are in place it was empty.

I'm more comfortable looking behind me now and my downshifting of the gears just before I stop is there now. So the restart is less shaky. I'm back to getting hellos from passing cyclists too. Not sure I'm that fussed about that.

So any recumbent commuters out there. Any advice? Don't tell me I need a flag!  :D

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
Re: Recumbent commuting - a beginner's tale - 1
« Reply #1 on: 26 June, 2018, 10:10:24 am »
I always found mirrors a huge help for recumbent commuting.
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
Re: Recumbent commuting - a beginner's tale - 1
« Reply #2 on: 26 June, 2018, 10:59:11 am »
I always found mirrors a huge help for recumbent commuting.

Errr, essential I would say.