Author Topic: 100W bulbs?  (Read 7161 times)

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
100W bulbs?
« on: 03 August, 2009, 11:06:12 pm »
Are there any shops left selling ordinary 100W light bulbs at low prices?  (Pearl bayonet).

Alternatively, do you know of any fluorescent bulb that REALLY is as bright and without a greeny hue?  Those I've tried are not as bright as claimed and have a nasty colour.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: 100W bulbs?
« Reply #1 on: 03 August, 2009, 11:16:12 pm »
Stock up from Lightbulbs Direct.
Not a shop.
They won't be able to get them next month though.
http://www.lightbulbs-direct.com/product/1009/gls-100w-bc-pearl/

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #2 on: 03 August, 2009, 11:20:29 pm »
Thanks, but that's not cheap compared to what they were in the supermarkets etc.  Are those days over already (due to the stupid premature "phasing out")?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3 on: 03 August, 2009, 11:33:25 pm »
Indeed. LD were selling them cheap a few weeks ago but now are, I suppose, responding to 'market forces'.
Methinks investing in a few hundred GLS lightbulbs might give you a better return for your money than many a bank.
There are huge numbers of people who cannot abide low energy lamps and will pay above the odds for GLS bulbs...

« Reply #4 on: 03 August, 2009, 11:45:25 pm »
Do you have a wilkinson's near are local shop is still selling them.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #5 on: 04 August, 2009, 12:00:36 am »
My local Wilkos no longer has them.

robbo6

« Reply #6 on: 04 August, 2009, 06:08:40 am »
A stall on in Ulverston indoor market had up to 200W a week ago. Not that I'm suggesting you go to Ulverston, just the sort of place you should look.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #7 on: 04 August, 2009, 06:29:31 am »
The GE 20W spirals (sold by Wilko) seem to be as bright and, so far, unusually reliable for GE light bulbs (which traditionally fail early).
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #8 on: 04 August, 2009, 07:45:30 am »
"Investing" in GLS lamps is hardly going to give you a return, is it?  It will cost you a fortune in electricity over their short life.

Just look around and see what CFLs, LEDs and metal halide lamps are available.  You can get CFLs in a variety of colours up to 100w, I think, and that is a truly massive light output.  Look at Megaman, for a start.
Wombat

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #9 on: 04 August, 2009, 09:13:44 am »
"Investing" in GLS lamps is hardly going to give you a return, is it?  It will cost you a fortune in electricity over their short life.

It would if I sold the surplus when the value has risen.

I'm having trouble finding something that is truely equivalent to 100W GLS in terms of brightness and colour - preferably with a sensible shape as well.  The manufacturers lie about the brightness and colour in my experience so far.

The 100W CFL Megaman is a special one that would be far too bright.

« Reply #10 on: 04 August, 2009, 09:17:19 am »
Local corner shops?

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #11 on: 04 August, 2009, 10:35:24 am »
I'd guess that people complained about the colour of light from lightbulbs when they started replacing gas and candles.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #12 on: 04 August, 2009, 11:54:54 am »
"Investing" in GLS lamps is hardly going to give you a return, is it?  It will cost you a fortune in electricity over their short life.

Just look around and see what CFLs, LEDs and metal halide lamps are available.  You can get CFLs in a variety of colours up to 100w, I think, and that is a truly massive light output.  Look at Megaman, for a start.

I've had to give up on trying to source proper light bulbs, and so have used the freebie energy saving shite that were posted to me as part of the energy saving drivel.

As a result I'm now sitting in too much light* and using more power than before as I can't dim the lights as we used to >:(

* after a while once the things have warmed up.  Due to this we have to turn the lights on earlier and leave them on for more hours than before.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #13 on: 04 August, 2009, 12:01:01 pm »
Depending on the system, dimming the lights doesn't really use less power.
Getting there...

« Reply #14 on: 04 August, 2009, 12:17:09 pm »
I checked that out when I bought the house.  The electrician said that my system did reduce the power consumption.

« Reply #15 on: 04 August, 2009, 12:34:48 pm »
As a result I'm now sitting in too much light*

If you want mood lighting, get mood lighting. Put a standard lamp or table lamp in a corner, switch that on and the main lamps out. Simples.

* after a while once the things have warmed up.  Due to this we have to turn the lights on earlier and leave them on for more hours than before.

Hours?  ??? Even the worst CFLs warm up in 30-40 seconds and most of mine take about 3. Why are your lights on for 'hours' extra?  ::-)
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

« Reply #16 on: 04 August, 2009, 12:41:24 pm »
Recent Which? tests of CFL's rated Ikeas own as the best - bright, fast warm up, and good at lower temps.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

border-rider

« Reply #17 on: 04 August, 2009, 02:41:00 pm »
The latest generation CFLs are actually pretty good, colour-wise, as long as you choose carefully.  We've got them throughout the house here.  They do take just a few seconds to get up to speed.  I agree that the old ones were horribly green and took an age to brighten.

We have one slightly esoteric issue - we have a chandelier thing in the lounge (not to my taste I hasten to add) which takes 3 bulbs.  3 CFLs in it interfere with each other.  One is silent, two on buzzs, and all three together make a hell of a racket.

« Reply #18 on: 04 August, 2009, 02:49:32 pm »
Our lounge centre light takes 6 bulbs.

6 x 25watt candles are great, and dimmable (corner table lamps are no good).   6xenergy things are bright and fugly.

« Reply #19 on: 04 August, 2009, 05:20:14 pm »
* after a while once the things have warmed up.  Due to this we have to turn the lights on earlier and leave them on for more hours than before.

Hours?  ??? Even the worst CFLs warm up in 30-40 seconds and most of mine take about 3. Why are your lights on for 'hours' extra?  ::-)

Things work very oddly in nuttyland.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #20 on: 04 August, 2009, 05:41:23 pm »
It's a case of a minute here, a minute there, yes I'm leaving the room but coming back soon so I'll leave the lights on instead of turning them off as I used to, etc etc.   Over the course of the year that adds up to several hours more than we used to have the lights on.

« Reply #21 on: 04 August, 2009, 06:12:25 pm »
Indeed, but does it work out to three or four times as many hours as before?   The average wattage of a CFL is 1/4 or less than the equivalent old money bulbs so I find it difficult to understand how you are using even the same amount of electricity for lighting.

You've also been unlucky and picked the wrong bulbs, the mac versiions no doubt  :demon:   Once I've had a bulb on for even a few minutes I can turn it off, come back five minutes later and it fires up instantly and at full brightness.

« Reply #22 on: 04 August, 2009, 06:14:39 pm »
Oh, also forgot to say:  My sister has a mulit-bulb light fitting in her lounge.  She's just left three dead candles in and has three 11w (I think) CLF's.  Or, it might even be just 2.   She paid a bit for these bulbs but they are quite small and unobtrusive.   I'll try and find out which ones they are.   

« Reply #23 on: 04 August, 2009, 06:20:56 pm »
These.  Only 8w in fact.

She says that they found some dimmable ones whilst looking but they were about a tenner each.

« Reply #24 on: 04 August, 2009, 06:21:27 pm »
My sister has a mulit-bulb light fitting in her lounge.  She's just left three dead candles in and has three 11w (I think) CLF's.  Or, it might even be just 2.   She paid a bit for these bulbs but they are quite small and unobtrusive.   I'll try and find out which ones they are.   

I'd be interested in that, too. My parents have a lamp which uses candle-shaped bulbs, and we've only been able to find 7w. 11w would be much better if they can be had...

ETA: That was quick!  :thumbsup:
Life is too important to be taken seriously.