Author Topic: I Think I've Been Scammed!  (Read 2390 times)

I Think I've Been Scammed!
« on: 15 December, 2020, 05:19:16 pm »
Following on from discussions here, I contacted a site selling refurbished laptops

I ordered one on 23 November, which is now just over 3 weeks ago (they promise 7-14 days) and have not received anything.  I've got the bloke (very weird-sounding) on the phone a couple of times out of lots of attempts and he's stated it's on its way, but no sign of it, so I'm now becoming convinced I've been scammed.

I paid by debit card, so I don't think I can get my money back from the bank.

What about the small claims court or equivalent?

Should have gone to eBay, as was suggested! :'( ::-)

Re: I Think I've Been Scammed!
« Reply #1 on: 15 December, 2020, 05:29:28 pm »
https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/how-youre-protected-when-you-pay-by-card#debit-card-payment-protection-and-chargeback

Debit card payment protection and chargeback

Debit card payments and purchases are not covered by section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act. But you might be able to make a claim for a refund under a voluntary scheme called ‘chargeback’.

This might offer you cover on purchases of any value made on debit, credit or prepaid cards.

However, if your purchase was over £100 and was made on credit card, you’re better off claiming under section 75, as this offers greater legal protection.
How chargeback works

Chargeback isn’t legal protection like section 75. It’s an agreement Visa, Mastercard, Maestro and American Express have signed up to.

The scheme enables you to claim a refund from your card provider if a purchase doesn’t arrive or is faulty.

It works by the card company trying to claim your money back from the company you’ve paid, by reversing the transaction.

There’s usually no minimum spend in order to be covered by chargeback, but time limits apply for making a claim – usually up to either 45 or 120 days from making the purchase, depending on the type of card.

Chargeback claims can take some time to process because the card company has to get the money refunded before it can pass it onto you.

« Reply #2 on: 15 December, 2020, 07:02:12 pm »
Looks legit - his Names Samuel Heffron, and the address on Companies House matches that on the website. Trustpilot reviews are pretty good, except for a couple of recent ones. Maybe a short term problem? Perhaps it’s a courier issue?  Good luck anyway.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #3 on: 15 December, 2020, 08:46:37 pm »
Lesson - never ever pay for anything on the Internet or remotely using a debit card.

Hope it turns out OK though.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #4 on: 15 December, 2020, 08:53:56 pm »
Lesson - never ever pay for anything on the Internet or remotely using a debit card.

Seconded. Paypal or credit card only.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #5 on: 15 December, 2020, 09:21:14 pm »
What protections do you have with paypal? I'd assumed there weren't any - so only use it for non critical or low risk transactions.

« Reply #6 on: 15 December, 2020, 09:42:27 pm »
I found paypal totally useless when trying to reclaim for faulty goods. They repeatedly fobbed me off with invented excuses. I will never use paypal again for anything of any value which I cannot trust.

« Reply #7 on: 16 December, 2020, 12:04:48 am »

FTFY.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #8 on: 16 December, 2020, 12:16:35 am »

J

Credit card or paypal goods and services.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #9 on: 16 December, 2020, 12:27:15 am »
What protections do you have with paypal? I'd assumed there weren't any - so only use it for non critical or low risk transactions.

Nearly 20 years ago now, but my son and his band were scammed out of a computer they were selling due to some Paypal trick. The guy came round, authorised the transaction for the computer, they could see the money in one of the band member's paypal account, and minutes after the purchaser left, the money disappeared again. They never got it back. From memory it was well over a grand.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #10 on: 16 December, 2020, 04:11:25 pm »
For the seller, only accept cash and not Paypal if the buyer is collecting the item in person from you, at least with Ebay.

Because the buyer has your item and then can claim they never received it and get a refund from Paypal. The only proof that Ebays accepts that the buyer has received the goods is a proof of delivery, signature etc from Royal Mail or another courier.

« Reply #11 on: 17 December, 2020, 10:43:18 am »
For the seller, only accept cash and not Paypal if the buyer is collecting the item in person from you, at least with Ebay.

Because the buyer has your item and then can claim they never received the it and get a refund from Paypal. The only proof that Ebays accepts that the buyer has received the goods is a proof of delivery, signature etc from Royal Mail or another courier.

They have this funny barcode system now to try to close that loophole:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/buying/postage-delivery/changing-delivery-address-method/collection-person?id=4056

I haven't used it yet.

« Reply #12 on: 19 December, 2020, 10:09:15 pm »
Finally, a response to a stiff email I sent, demanding my money back...
"Hi,
Thanks for your e-mail, I have just checked this and the Dell E5410 had a fault and I ordered some more stock and I have a Dell Latitude E5510 but has no webcam
I can do a Dell E5450 with webcam but it is 14", let me know If this is ok or If you prefer a refund"

I preferred a refund.

"Hi,
Thanks for your e-mail, I will process a full refund today. I am very sorry for this"

So seems genuine but struggling, and communications no good at all, as did not keep me informed of developments at all.

Now waiting for the refund to appear - probably not until Monday...  Glad it wasn't an actual scam.

« Reply #13 on: 06 January, 2021, 11:33:01 am »
Just for the record, it appears that the problems arose for this seller due to various issues, combined from my point-of-view with very poor communication.

Full refund has been made.