Author Topic: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square  (Read 337013 times)

VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square
« on: 12 June, 2018, 08:30:31 pm »
Who else is playing?

I signed up to Veloviewer yesterday, it seems like it could be a bit addictive...

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
Re: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square
« Reply #1 on: 12 June, 2018, 08:51:05 pm »
It is, I blame Mr Smith for inflecting me over Xmas. I've since passed on the addiction to a few down here... It's spreading!
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #2 on: 13 June, 2018, 09:57:41 am »
I'm playing, it's making for some long Friday commutes.

Chris S

« Reply #3 on: 13 June, 2018, 11:12:11 am »
We picked up this addiction from Deano, I think. Fboab is much more committed to it than me.

Chris N

« Reply #4 on: 13 June, 2018, 11:27:42 am »
Currently on 13x13.  A couple of extended Friday afternoon commutes should get me up to 15x15, then I'll need to make a bit more of an effort to increase my score.

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #5 on: 13 June, 2018, 11:44:18 am »
Yes - love it. Well worth the £10/year. In fact I've planned a ride around scenic Redbridge to fill in a few gaps in the tile board this weekend...
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #6 on: 13 June, 2018, 11:45:04 am »
We picked up this addiction from Deano, I think. Fboab is much more committed to it than me.

So he's YACF patient zero ?
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #7 on: 13 June, 2018, 11:57:08 am »
I thought Deano caught it from Salvatore?

I think of it as an encouragement to trespass :facepalm:

I'm on 14 x 14 but getting bigger needs Moors or, erm, rowing?

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #8 on: 13 June, 2018, 12:33:52 pm »

It's rather addictive. I've got multiple 8x8 squares, I think if I can plan the route right tho, I'm about 1 or 2 rides away from jumping to about 15x15.

I'm gonna hit a limit soon due to the sea... and a lake...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #9 on: 13 June, 2018, 02:58:17 pm »
Not seen this before. I have three overlapping 11x11s centred on north London. A visit to Redbridge and Golders Green would boost that to 13x13, and not many more to get something like 18x18 covering Eltham to South Mimms. Looks tricky after that.

*must not get sucked in*

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #10 on: 13 June, 2018, 03:31:42 pm »
It can lead to some silly scenic route diversions to clip the corner of new squares :)

I've just noticed the Holkham Parkrun course picks up three squares (roughly 1.5km across each) which isn't bad for a 5km loop.
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

« Reply #11 on: 13 June, 2018, 04:17:33 pm »
It was Dean what got me into it (and seeing fboab and Chris S post about it too).

I'm digging it, but only on 9x9! I can get 10x10 by going down a dead end or I can get something daft like 14x14 rather easily if I could get security clearance to get into the port. You can see my attempt to bag the square yesterday, but was stymied by a rather large man and an even larger fence.

« Reply #12 on: 13 June, 2018, 04:23:19 pm »
Just spotted this -

5270 tiles, average of 4.753 km per tile
Max square 9x9
Max Cluster: 247

« Reply #13 on: 13 June, 2018, 04:37:42 pm »
I discovered it from the other place.

3367 tiles, average of 11.874 km per tile
Max square 22x22
Max Cluster: 753

3 neighbouring tiles required to get to 24x24 but I'm struggling for mo-jo to ride in that direction, I'll pick them up at some point, in the meantime I'm enjoying discovering lots of tracks, with the side effect of regaining confidence in my off-road skills after last years MTB disasters.

« Reply #14 on: 13 June, 2018, 04:52:50 pm »
I can get something daft like 14x14 rather easily if I could get security clearance to get into the port. You can see my attempt to bag the square yesterday, but was stymied by a rather large man and an even larger fence.
You need to join Whitburn Coastal Rowers :D

16551 tiles, average of 3.027 km per tile
Max square 14x14
Max Cluster: 373

My max cluster is in East Angular, where I only Strava'd audaii, meaning the masses of little rides don't show. I haven't even got some squares from my commute down there :facepalm:

« Reply #15 on: 13 June, 2018, 05:12:18 pm »
Explorer score:
    5477 tiles, average of 4.025 km per tile
    Max square 5x5
    Max Cluster: 48

But just a single 30km ride can push that up to 8x8 and then it won't take much to build on that. I just need to use my long ride on a Monday to vary things rather than going round and round Richmond Park (lovely as that is).

For example, there's a square 1 East and 2 South of me that is not taken (I've definitely ridden there but obviously never bothered to Strava it).

I do have one square that was bagged by an open water swim at Shepperton Lake:

"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #16 on: 13 June, 2018, 07:17:46 pm »

I'm digging it, but only on 9x9! I can get 10x10 by going down a dead end or I can get something daft like 14x14 rather easily if I could get security clearance to get into the port. You can see my attempt to bag the square yesterday, but was stymied by a rather large man and an even larger fence.

I had similar issues with Schiphol airport. Fortunately I managed to find routes that didn't get me arrested to get the squares I needed. Made for a rather erratic ride... A couple of squares I clip just the corner of...

J

--

Chris S

« Reply #17 on: 13 June, 2018, 07:21:17 pm »
We thought we were going to have to break into Wilton Works at Redcar, but turns out there's a bridleway that juuuuust nicks the corner of that square. Teesport is more problematical; it's probably more realistic for us to extend South and West, and do lots of walking over the NYMs.

« Reply #18 on: 13 June, 2018, 07:26:26 pm »
I spent a few winter rides building up my max square to 22x22. Been riding mostly out of area for the last few months, but intend to return to building up the square again in the autumn.

I've got one blocking square where a large security gate dissuaded me from nipping 100m down a farm track. At least there's a footpath at the other side of the square, so I just need an excuse to go back to that area.

Jiberjaber is at 29x29. He's a bit of a pro at this!

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Chris S

« Reply #19 on: 13 June, 2018, 07:28:10 pm »
C'mon Deano - fess up, tell 'em yours  :D

« Reply #20 on: 13 June, 2018, 09:01:06 pm »
34x34 - I've just spotted the thread (I have the GPS board on ignore).

I've been poking at this for just over a year, but I only took it moderately seriously after Si S mentioned he was trying to chase me down ;D

I've been more opportunistic than systematic in my square-bagging, as I like to make it a decent ride. So my cluster's up to a healthy 2503, and snakes about all over the place. All the squares at the edges of my square are going to be tricky to get - trackless moors, Hartlepool Bay (though I'm convinced I can wait until low tide and walk out across the rocks to get that one), and an annoying square between Thirsk and Topcliffe - it looks like the only way to get it is hacking along the A168, which looks like a 2 am job to me.

I've loads of easy squares with lots of roads around East Durham, but see the point above about wanting to have a decent ride.

I can't remember where I heard about it - I think I just spotted it as a metric on Veloviewer, and followed it on from there. The most satisfying squares have been the ones in some of the many military ranges around Catterick - it took me three or four goes before I managed to cross Feldom Ranges, as the flags were alway up. I've lost count of the number of abandoned (or active) airfields I've snuck into, and I even stumped up cash to get into Raby Castle grounds to bag the three squares at the back of there - where you're not meant to go.

It's at least a 50-mile round trip to get any more now, though, and that probably means overnight bivvies or something equally daft. And then, if I keep going, in a year or so, I'll hit Warcop Ranges. Which is fucking enormous.

« Reply #21 on: 13 June, 2018, 09:45:25 pm »
I've done a bit of this max square thingy as well.

The best thing about it is discovering countless new roads that I wouldn't have otherwise ridden.

Currently on 37 x 37

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #22 on: 13 June, 2018, 10:23:46 pm »

Just done the maths. Looks like the largest square I can get locally without swimming is going to be about 23x23.

Getting anything bigger would mean starting again further south. Doh.

J
--

« Reply #23 on: 14 June, 2018, 08:32:57 am »
I've been poking at this for just over a year, but I only took it moderately seriously after Si S mentioned he was trying to chase me down ;D

I'm not convinced it's my fault you know...but thick skin and sloping shoulders and all that.

I've got a few more columns I can go West before I run into the mudbanks on the Mersey, East is going to get really challenging as I'm beginning to edge up against Bleaklow Head and Saddleworth Moor and there's miles and miles of bugger all up there

« Reply #24 on: 14 June, 2018, 08:54:42 am »
I've heard about it on a Dutch forum and was rapidly hooked. Since april I do some tile hunting when I'm not on an audax ride.
So far I've. Some military shooting and bombarding ranges to the north west limit my options a bit. I still have to check if I can bag all the squares around the Awacs base to the north east (it all depends on where they put the fences). Further away to the east there are some massive coalpits which would limit my efforts. So I'm mainly concentrating in the south-western direction. I managed to cover nearly the full city of Liège now, luckily Liège airport has enough roads around it to cover all squares.

Current standings:

max square 23x23
cluster 1773
total tiles 26960