Author Topic: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square  (Read 336988 times)

Chris S

Re: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square
« Reply #275 on: 24 October, 2018, 10:05:33 pm »
Walking on water. Genius!

Pretty sure us Sapiens had to leave it up to someone else for that.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #276 on: 24 October, 2018, 10:18:37 pm »
Walking on water. Genius!

Pretty sure us Sapiens had to leave it up to someone else for that.

[Cetacean needed]

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #277 on: 25 October, 2018, 09:37:37 am »
Did you do that on porpoise?

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #278 on: 25 October, 2018, 11:09:01 am »
Hoping to tick off 14 on tonight's ride in the glamour of Thurrock, as well as the fabled Dartford Crossing shuttle service.
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

« Reply #279 on: 25 October, 2018, 11:17:51 am »

« Reply #280 on: 25 October, 2018, 11:21:06 am »
Hoping to tick off 14 on tonight's ride in the glamour of Thurrock, as well as the fabled Dartford Crossing shuttle service.
Hold on- that's motorised!

« Reply #281 on: 25 October, 2018, 11:47:12 am »
The comma is important, I read it as "ticking off 14 tiles, and also ticking off the fabled shuttle." Not using the shuttle to tick off any tiles.

The start/end points of the shuttle are in adjacent tiles, so you would have cycled in each of the tiles anyway.

Much like the Woolwich ferry (which has an engine) but you cycle either side of it and the ferry doesn't cover a complete tile where you wouldn't have already cycled.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #282 on: 25 October, 2018, 01:22:54 pm »
I've done the two tiles at either end of the crossing anyway but yes - I'll be pausing the track for the moto-assisted section, assuming it arrives! It's to save me duplicating bits of the scenic A13 corridor going back into London.

(If anyone is ticking in the same area, on the Kent/Bexley side of the river, it's possible to ride in all the Thames-adjacent tiles at least as far down as the Met Police Riot School.)
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #283 on: 25 October, 2018, 05:25:29 pm »
Day one of colouring in squares on porpoise. Level up at this stage is fairly easy as the Humber region of my map was dotted with holes. I started with a lap of Welton Waters to get me down onto the banks of the Humber, then followed the Trans Pennine Trail to pass Brough Aerodrome and continue as far as Crabley Creek. I was thwarted by a "Private Road" sign so decided to pick that square up from the other side on the way home later. I rode around Broomfleet tileworks which I'd never done before - and now know is a neat way to get from one side of Market Weighton Canal to the other without going off-road.

After this I had tried to make as many segments into little loops, by riding an unsurfaced road where it existed, then walking/pushing/riding along bridle paths and footpaths to get along the edge of a field, then joined another remote lane to rejoin the main road.

I have visited so many wonderful little hidden places between Howden, Hull and Newbald today, only been turned back by one farmer and not been shot by the shooting party he was entertaining. I wouldn't have explored or enjoyed anywhere near as much of this route today without playing this game.

My max square increased from 9x9 to 10x10 but moved from Middlesbrough to Hull. My cluster increased from 188 to 265 and moved from Durham to Hull. And I have a big grin on my face. Thank you to fboab, ChrisS and Deano for making this seem like a good idea last Saturday night. :)

Graeme

• Graeme's Blog
« Reply #284 on: 26 October, 2018, 09:44:47 am »
A new thing I discovered today. One or two of my routes contain inaccurate data, such as a line where Strava has joined up two sections where the garmin hadn't been recording. One was on the BCM and another went right through the middle of my new max square. So - max square back to 9*9 and relocated to Middlesbrough. The upside is that my score is more accurate and that I have some additional interesting places to visit.

« Reply #285 on: 29 October, 2018, 02:52:45 pm »
Another 50km bimble.

7 overlapping 12x12 squares now.

Explorer score up 31 to 5629.
Cluster up 43 to 365.

« Reply #286 on: 30 October, 2018, 08:11:49 pm »
I'm joining the fun, I've been thinking about exploring more local trails for a while now and I figure this will give me the impetus to get out there and get off my beaten tracks.

Some interesting holes in the map where I would have thought were well covered and like Graeme there's an estuary smack in the middle of my map, should get the first gap knocked off on my commute tomorrow.

Veloviewer Oct18 by Al, on Flickr

Graeme

• Graeme's Blog
« Reply #287 on: 02 November, 2018, 12:22:07 pm »
Does anyone know of an easy way to mass process the actual Strava data rather than the abbreviated data that is initially uploaded? I have about 850+ activities and each time I click on one, VV updates the abbreviated data with actual and my explorer score changes. It caught me out with my max square. I'm happy looking at newly added rides, but to process all the older ones individually will take a fair amount of time. Any suggestions?

Here is my current map - the cluster just recently moved from Durham to Humberside, and the max square briefly travelled from Teesside to Humberside but returned when I loaded more accurate data.

Explorer Score 02-11-18 by Graeme, on Flickr

« Reply #288 on: 02 November, 2018, 09:09:40 pm »
I couldn't find a way to make the task any easier than you describe so I spent 2 or 3 evenings clicking on my rides one at a time (a similar number to yours).

A couple of things that made it less onerous for me

The rides which need their tiles calculated can be sorted by going to the activities tab. On the list of your rides click the header 'Tiles Calculated' at the top of this column.

Most helpful was that 60% of my recorded rides were identical commutes, I only had to click on one of these to get the tiles calculated and obviously could ignore the rest.

IanN

• Voon
« Reply #289 on: 02 November, 2018, 09:16:57 pm »
Last week I brought my max square up to 17x17. 22x22 is in sight, but after that it gets a bit trickier as it will have to shift north east

« Reply #290 on: 03 November, 2018, 03:09:58 pm »
Got a nice 75km ride starting/ending in Woking planned for Monday. Perfectly timed as I've just finished reading _War of the Worlds_ which mentions that area a lot (Horsell Common, Ottershaw, Chobham, Maybury Hill, etc).

Should pick up 53 new tiles to extend the cluster but not extend the max square (that'll come with the two rides after that).

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #291 on: 04 November, 2018, 11:11:18 am »
I had ~150 activities to update and ended up with 2 more bagged tiles, but the max. cluster decreased by 1.

« Reply #292 on: 04 November, 2018, 10:11:27 pm »
Current status and next rides planned (the blue boxes are some of the tiles I need to tick off):-

05-NOV: Blue (Woking) is a 70km ride with only 300m climbing to be done tomorrow.

12-NOV: Red (Lower one, Epsom/Leatherhead) is 50km and 521m climbing

19-NOV: Cyan (Surrey Hills) is 55km and 734m climbing (including the 18% climb of White Down)

26-NOV: Dark green (Croydon, Caterham, Coulsdon) is 60km and 992m climbing (I'm quite unfit and quiet heavy so that'll be fun, purposely routed it repeatedly across the North downs ridge)

Then the red run up to Waltham Abbey is 75km (or 85km if I have time and don't get the train home from Waterloo) and is part of the rides I need to do to connect a large clump of tiles up near Henham to my main cluster.

After that I'll aim for the NW section (Wembley, Ruislip, Rickmansworth, etc), then North London (Edgeware, Barnet, Enfield), NE/Essex and round to East London and SE London. By my reckoning it's ~20 more rides to cover all tiles within the M25.

After that I'll go for pushing my cluster out West (Reading area) and North (Henham and on up to Cambridge) or targeting max square increases with rides in new areas. I'll soon (6 months I suppose) hit the limit of what I can add in the 6 hour window I have once a week without spending too much of that time getting to/from new tiles.

« Reply #293 on: 05 November, 2018, 07:15:41 am »
Operation Crossing the Rivers is going like plan. I had to be in the Den Bosch area a few times in the past weeks (and have to be there again on wednesday) so I manage to add a few strategic tiles. The Maas and Waal rivers are already crossed, on wednesday the Rhine should follow.

Chris N

« Reply #294 on: 05 November, 2018, 08:07:45 am »
Got up to 16x16 last week.

17x17 needs two rides, one through east Bristol, the other towards Corsham.

Not sure where to go after that.  There are tiles in the Severn downstream of Berkeley that I cannot ride to, so I guess I'll concentrate on extending the square to the south east.  Filling in some of the gaps around Stroud could be fun too.  I can't be far away from shifting my max cluster down to this area too - currently my cluster count for where I live now is 325 vs. 387 around my old address.

« Reply #295 on: 05 November, 2018, 09:47:13 am »
Until now I hadn't realised that there was a way of finding out which rides had had their tiles calculated.  So I'd just opened only my longest rides of 300km ish+ and the rides where the down sampling had caused missed tiles.

So this weekend I filtered my activity list on 'tiles calculated', ordered them by distance and worked my way down the list.  I've got 3710 activities on veloviewer, so this is gonna take some time.  So far, I've recalculated 300odd rides and I'm down to rides of about 80km in length.  There's got to be a way to automate this?
It's already affected my squares though and squares that I thought I'd got , it now turns out that I haven't.  My max square has now dropped down from 35x35 down to 16 overlapping 21x21.  The good news is that I've just got to get 7 of the lost squares to get back to where I was & I can now go do some more exploring and genuinely go and claim those squares.
Eddington: 114 Miles

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #296 on: 05 November, 2018, 09:50:02 am »

Flu and conferences (the 2 may be linked), mean I've not been able to get out and bag many tiles, until this last weekend when a 200k Audax allowed me to bag a load. It's done nothing to help with my cluster, or my square, but I did notice that my score has broken the 5000 mark now.

5066 tiles
Max square 13x13
Max Cluster: 228

J
--

Graeme

• Graeme's Blog
« Reply #297 on: 05 November, 2018, 09:51:01 am »
I did email Ben to ask if there was a way to automate this. I wondered if it might be a Pro Plus feature. It must use a lot of his server time and I thought he might want to find a way of prioritising that rather than have lots of us manually taking those resources. Does anyone here know Ben personally?

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #298 on: 05 November, 2018, 09:56:20 am »
I did email Ben to ask if there was a way to automate this. I wondered if it might be a Pro Plus feature. It must use a lot of his server time and I thought he might want to find a way of prioritising that rather than have lots of us manually taking those resources. Does anyone here know Ben personally?

No, but he's pretty good at replying when I ask questions on twitter. Seems like a nice guy.

J
--

« Reply #299 on: 05 November, 2018, 09:56:38 am »
Can you not just poke around the map and click on any rides that pass near the cluster boundary on a suspiciously straight line? And likewise any squares that just have one line flying through them? There should be only a handful of rides where recalculating affects your cluster size.