Author Topic: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square  (Read 336992 times)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
Re: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square
« Reply #225 on: 26 September, 2018, 11:03:39 pm »

Every area has it's faults. You either end up hitting against a big body of water, or a military base. Or in some cases, both.

Do London, and you will eventually find things like Heathrow and Gatwick are a problem. Solve these and you're gonna hit the military bases further out.

Its a similar issue for me here. I can get a 23x23 pretty easy,but I then get stuck between the Ijselmeer and the North sea. At which point I have to give up on what I've done north of Amsterdam Zuid, and start working down, but even then as I go east I'm going to hit various military camps. There comes a point where you basically hit the limit of max square, and have to aim for max cluster instead. Unfortunately.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #226 on: 26 September, 2018, 11:42:44 pm »
Do London, and you will eventually find things like Heathrow and Gatwick are a problem. Solve these and you're gonna hit the military bases further out.

Neither airport is a problem as they have public perimeter roads and there's no single square that is just airport (you could probably just do a short run in the public part of a terminal even if they were).

For Heathrow the A4 to the North is easy and nowhere near as scary as one would think. I've done all but the two squares to the West which are simple enough although they will involve a relatively busy stretch of road (that doesn't bother me).

Not considered Gatwick but having a quick look...nope, not a problem. Perimeter road is public and there's no single square that is just airport.

One square in Great Windsor Park might be my nearest tricky one but that's almost certainly runable. There's a square that's entirely private estate in Wentworth but Strava shows lots of people cycling through there.

Even doing all of the squares near Dungeness Nuclear Power Station looks doable. (I've got a few down there already thanks to Kentish Audaxes.)
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #227 on: 27 September, 2018, 07:16:37 am »
In one corner of my square I've already hit my limit, a shooting ground of the Belgian Airforce. That's 3-4 tiles which can't be ridden. Completely off-limits.

(The area in the northwest of my square.)
I could shift my square more westwards but then I'd soon hit RAF Brüggen in the north-eastern corner of the map and a few of the open pit browncoal mines. So I have to continue south-west. I know that I can get quite far in that direction since I'm soon I'll start doing tiles which are also in the square of some of the 80x80 guys.

« Reply #228 on: 27 September, 2018, 10:59:18 am »
In one corner of my square I've already hit my limit, a shooting ground of the Belgian Airforce. That's 3-4 tiles which can't be ridden. Completely off-limits.
Anything is a dildo rideable if you're brave enough.

« Reply #229 on: 27 September, 2018, 01:10:12 pm »
My desperately sought squares as of today from space (yes, Edinburgh loves you)

kml270918 by Adrian, on Flickr

I may now start recording walks and paddling to break the impasse on my current 11 x 11 square

« Reply #230 on: 27 September, 2018, 02:58:23 pm »
@amir

I may now start recording walks and paddling to break the impasse on my current 11 x 11 square

Worth noting that private activities are still given tiles in Veloviewer, so if you don't want to put it on your Strava feed you don't have to.

e.g. Confession time.  I got a few squares by walking around the IKEA and Livingston Outlet car parks.  The only useful things to be gained from visits to these awful places...

« Reply #231 on: 27 September, 2018, 07:22:51 pm »
Anything is a dildo rideable if you're brave stupid enough.

« Reply #232 on: 28 September, 2018, 09:11:29 am »
I've just been looking through all the activity types on Strava and Veloviewer.  I can't find dildo anywhere,  am I missing something?
Eddington: 114 Miles

« Reply #233 on: 28 September, 2018, 09:35:41 am »
A splosh on Musselburgh beach -> 12 x 12 square  :)

RobertW

• Robert
« Reply #234 on: 29 September, 2018, 07:33:23 pm »
Having been made aware of VV Explover by Salvatore a year or so ago, I today made use of his tip about Basingstoke Crematorium to push my Max Square up to 27.  Further progress may be limited as it is getting to be a long ride just to get to new tiles for the Max Square.  Increasing the cluster is less difficult with some more local tiles, a couple at Selsey & Wittering may be do-able at low spring tide.

Would post a screenshot (have a jpg) but beyond my technical competence - hopefully the hyperlink will work

https://veloviewer.com/athlete/25786390/activities?o=0:1&f=0:1361020422000|1538205913000,1:All,5:282.2|243372,6:0|2272.8&c=0,0,5,6,9

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #235 on: 29 September, 2018, 08:36:32 pm »
Did a nice 100km ride today. At one point, when I found myself bashing down the A257, I did wonder "Why did I plan the route to come this way rather than the quiet country lane I'd usually take?" but now I look at the results on Veloviewer, I remember exactly why...

Bagged an isoated tile that increased my cluster by 5. And another odd tile added 6 to my cluster.

I've now got three overlapping 10x10 squares and only need two tiles to turn them into a 12x12.

I'm not hooked. I can handle it. Honest.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #236 on: 29 September, 2018, 09:26:32 pm »
Ped today: Do you know this road's a dead end in a mile?

Me: Yes, yes I do  :facepalm:

Chris N

« Reply #237 on: 30 September, 2018, 11:00:21 am »
Upto 14x14 this morning:

Missed one tile NW of Malmesbury because a bridge was being rebuilt - should be able to collect it if I follow the Fosse Way instead.
Would have been 15x15 but I'm not very fit and cut the ride short.  I'll have to visit Castle Combe on the way back from work next Friday.  Max cluster still 367 but it's 100 miles away.

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #238 on: 01 October, 2018, 01:17:30 pm »
For anyone looking for squares in South East London or Kent, Southeastern are offering unlimited travel on their network for £20 this Saturday.
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

« Reply #239 on: 01 October, 2018, 02:58:53 pm »
I took a few random roads I'd not taken before on Saturday.  Got back and realised I'd missed a bit!  ::-) I need to get the MTB out of hibernation and go get the 2 squares in the middle of what would be an expansion from 4x4 to 6x6. Baby steps.
With a bit of effort at bagging lots of single squares, I can probably expand towards 12x12, but it will involve a certain amount of creativity. I don't know how much effort I can be bothered to expend to get there!

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #240 on: 01 October, 2018, 04:03:58 pm »
Just discovered this thread - I am in awe of the exploits of some on here...
I had a go on VeloViewer to see where my paltry efforts lay:

A piffling effort with a Max square of 5x5  and Max Cluster of 126!

I suspect I will have to vary my riding a bit to extend the coverage!
Some squares in the trackless wastes of some high Pennine hills will ever be out of reach - being unable to walk any distance....

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #241 on: 04 October, 2018, 07:43:51 pm »

Neither airport is a problem as they have public perimeter roads and there's no single square that is just airport (you could probably just do a short run in the public part of a terminal even if they were).

Ah that's handy. Schiphol was a bit of a pain. I had to explore all the fire access routes to the airport to get all the tiles, even ended up unintentionally in a fuel depot...

Was perusing the map, and it looks like for me the biggest hindrance is going to be the 3 tiles in the centre of this shot:

There's no public access to these squares, I may be able to get the right hand of the 3 by pack raft or swimming in the top right corner, but the other 2, I've got no idea. There are farm tracks, but being a crazy Brit lost on one those might be tough to explain...

Perhaps I should take Ivo with me to see if we can negotiate access...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #242 on: 07 October, 2018, 06:16:33 pm »
150km ride to get missing squares out towards Stirling.  Cluster increased from 389 to 475.  Annoyed as helper app said I was in the Dunmore square, but smoothing meant that I missed it.

Capture 20181006 by paddy_irish, on Flickr

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #243 on: 07 October, 2018, 08:33:19 pm »
150km ride to get missing squares out towards Stirling.  Cluster increased from 389 to 475.  Annoyed as helper app said I was in the Dunmore square, but smoothing meant that I missed it.
If you view the activity details on Veloviewer, it will recaulculate the tiles using the full track data. So can help for any missing squares where you just crossed the edge.

« Reply #244 on: 08 October, 2018, 09:25:14 am »
@fuaran

That's really handy to know thanks!  Worked a treat and another 5 tiles added to my cluster.

« Reply #245 on: 11 October, 2018, 07:35:12 am »
Someone (Jonathan France) has just dropped in a few rides he's done to go top of the leaderboard:-

96x96

(Looks like it should have been more as there's multiple 96x96 boxes there and a seemingly missing square just above Luton - plus another couple a little further North). So probably closer to 104x104 if he sorts that out.)

Eww. Swindon (or is that second load centred around somewhere like Lambourn?)

« Reply #246 on: 11 October, 2018, 08:48:40 am »
Someone (Jonathan France) has just dropped in a few rides he's done to go top of the leaderboard:-

96x96

(Looks like it should have been more as there's multiple 96x96 boxes there and a seemingly missing square just above Luton - plus another couple a little further North). So probably closer to 104x104 if he sorts that out.)

He indeed has plenty of room for improvement. Is that the guy who first started mopping up the tiles at the top of his intended square and then working his way downwards to link them up to his main square?

Chris N

« Reply #247 on: 11 October, 2018, 09:34:40 am »
96x96

:o  Wow.

Faringdon, judging by the number of tracks through there.

« Reply #248 on: 11 October, 2018, 09:42:45 am »

Faringdon, judging by the number of tracks through there.

My guess was purely based on that image alone (and my shaky knowledge of that area thanks to Audaxes). I hadn't looked at his profile in VV.

« Reply #249 on: 11 October, 2018, 09:51:01 am »
Map here

Looks like he needs to go walking on Netley beach (near Southampton) at low tide. And break into Thameshaven port.