General Category > The Knowledge

Should I replace the original grease on NOS Campagnolo hubs from 2001?

(1/6) > >>

Oxford_Guy:
Hi - I recently picked up a nice set of NOS Campagnolo Chorus hubs, originally from 2001 - is it likely that the original grease has degraded/dried out and should I replace this before using them? I assume this is a fairly straightforward job? The hubs are for 10 speed, 32 hole rims.

rogerzilla:
Yes.  Old grease turns into waxy gunge and I imagine it's mostly the soap matrix by that stage.

Samuel D:
It does? I once opened a Czechoslovakian water pump that had been stored in its original box (wood with hay packaging) for several decades. The grease looked and felt like new.

Whether there was ever enough grease in these Campagnolo hubs is another matter. Only one way to find out!

Nice hubs.

Oxford_Guy:
I'll have a look at the little instruction booklet that game with them to see what's involved. BTW the hubs are surprising light, about 380g the pair (excluding skewers).

Jakob W:
I think it depends on the type of grease as to how much the oil seeps out of the base, but in general I'd not assume that new hubs were set up with enough grease; you're going to have to adjust them anyway once they're built up, so you might as well strip and re-lube now.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version