Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2399709 times)

Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #8500 on: 24 February, 2017, 06:03:01 pm »
And of the front brakes, I guess you need two to keep it legal.

There's a special exemption for delta tricycles, which are allowed a pair of brakes acting on the same front wheel.
And for 2 rear brakes on a tadpole - a certain way to death.  See construction and use act paragraph 9(2) http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1983/1176/pdfs/uksi_19831176_en.pdf

As for number of trikes - I have 5.  Been riding trikes for almost 50 years, seldom both with lesser two wheeled machines of which I have 3.

Samuel D

« Reply #8501 on: 24 February, 2017, 06:03:36 pm »
But that's probably not even in the top ten list of ways the things are trying to kill you.   ;D

Ha! They do scare the wits out of me even in photos. Just thinking of an adverse-camber corner at a junction near me… (Shudders.)

That said, are there any advantages to tricycles (for people who can ride a bicycle)? Riding on ice, perhaps?

« Reply #8502 on: 24 February, 2017, 06:13:03 pm »
That said, are there any advantages to tricycles (for people who can ride a bicycle)? Riding on ice, perhaps?
Not really.  On ice you don't just go splat like from a bicycle, you have time to consider what it is you are going to hit.  An old cliché - tricycles are for people who find bicycles too easy.  Truthfully, I ride 99% of my time on trike simply because they are very much more involving than 2 wheels and for me much more fun.  We live for a decent bend, preferably one that tightens up on you!  Some times the comments from bicyclists with limited experience get a bit aggravating.  The usual one about "it has to be easier".  Get me in a bad mood and I will say "it is obviously heavier, it obviously has more wind resistance, less obviously I am working harder to balance it (keep it rubber side down) than you ever do to balance a bike (on road at least), so in what  way is it easier?"  All these factors make it 10 to 15% slower than riding an equivalent bicycle.  But above all it is FUN, and surely that is what we all want from our chosen steed.  Every enthusiastic cyclist should add this to their experience.  End Soapbox.

paul851

« Reply #8503 on: 24 February, 2017, 10:51:53 pm »
How the Hell does a trike conversion work?!?  Can we have more photos?  And of the front brakes, I guess you need two to keep it legal.

It's nearly a bolt on job apart from the front brakes which are just a pair of Weinmann 610 centre pulls with longer bolts and a couple of spacers and just a few more spacers to centre the axle and align the rear derailleur .

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8504 on: 24 February, 2017, 11:16:45 pm »
Not really.  [...]

Recumbent trikes, on the other hand, are a completely different class of beasts:  Steering tends to be vastly more intuitive for a bicyclist (although unlike a bicycle you still have to think about camber), stability (and associated 'fun') varies according to the geometry but is generally far better than upright trikes as the centre of mass is lower, and wind resistance can compare favourably to a DF bike.  The above points about weight and rolling resistance still apply, and traction can sometimes be interesting.

The one thing that trikes (of all kinds) are *really* good at is going slowly.  Hence the popularity of tadpole 'bents with really wide gear range as touring machines.

Every bicyclist should try to ride an upright tricycle at least once.  It'll teach you more about how a bicycle works in the time it takes you to crash into the kerb than a lifetime of bicycle riding...

Samuel D

« Reply #8505 on: 25 February, 2017, 12:28:53 am »
We live for a decent bend, preferably one that tightens up on you!

Perish the thought.

But fun is a good reason to ride a tricycle. I’d like to try one some day.

Looking at your last photo, paul851: is only one rear wheel driven on your conversion?

Some of those brake pads are a bit casually positioned!

« Reply #8506 on: 25 February, 2017, 07:37:44 am »
Looking at your last photo, paul851: is only one rear wheel driven on your conversion?
One wheel drive was the lightweight choice because differentials are expensive and not light.  Then the supply of diffs dried up in the 1960s.  In the 1980s the two wheel drive was reinvented - two freewheels.  This was also heavy until the cassette came along and a lightweight carrier invented.  This is now the preferred method.  For a picture of the cassette carrier with 2 sets of pawls and of braking arrangements see "Galleries" at http://www.trykit.com/  Also, look at the banner heading photographs on http://tricycleassociation.org.uk/  there's one showing what we would call a decent bend on the race circuit at Fowlmead in Kent.

JennyB

• Old enough to know better
« Reply #8507 on: 25 February, 2017, 08:12:49 am »

Every bicyclist should try to ride an upright tricycle at least once.  It'll teach you more about how a bicycle works in the time it takes you to crash into the kerb than a lifetime of bicycle riding...

Saw that at a CTC Rally years ago, with about a dozen cyclists in a row. They want ted to go left and they steered right.  :D
Jennifer - Walker of hills

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8508 on: 25 February, 2017, 11:33:00 am »

Saw that at a CTC Rally years ago, with about a dozen cyclists in a row. They want ted to go left and they steered right.  :D

Which is exactly what happened to me the first time I rode one.  Except I made an interesting discovery: The tricycle in question had a fixed-wheel transmission, and it turned out that I could steer it perfectly, as long as I rode it backwards.   :D

(I've had a bit more practice on them since, and can now steer in directions other than the kerb at least 90% of the time.)

« Reply #8509 on: 25 February, 2017, 12:34:29 pm »

Bish bash bosh
Stans Grail rims
Compass Bon Jons tubeless at 40psi
Ergon CF3 Pro leaf spring seatpost (bendy)
Brooks Cambium C17

It's quite light, and seems pretty comfy. Yet to ride it beyond the end of the road.

Now I really rather like that. You'd need to decide whether you do PDQ if you want to retain the "CL will buy it if I don't like it" option. My finger is hovering over the "buy" button on PlanetX's web site. The orange is simply "too much", I think, and the grey is £100 more.

« Reply #8510 on: 25 February, 2017, 12:52:52 pm »
She is a keeper, I think.

Your thinking is the same as mine on the colour. Much as I'd have liked the grey, the extra £100 was too much.

However, I wish the space chicken was the same price - I think that looks really good, and takes 650b with really big tyres.

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FROOSPCKN/on-one-space-chicken-650--700c-carbon-gravel-frameset

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #8511 on: 25 February, 2017, 03:37:40 pm »
Trikey Dave says his upright deltas are ace for getting through city traffic jams, because they are barely wider than the handlebars and he do a 90 degree turn at virtually zero speed in no space.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #8512 on: 25 February, 2017, 04:28:40 pm »

Bish bash bosh
Stans Grail rims
Compass Bon Jons tubeless at 40psi
Ergon CF3 Pro leaf spring seatpost (bendy)
Brooks Cambium C17

It's quite light, and seems pretty comfy. Yet to ride it beyond the end of the road.

Now I really rather like that. You'd need to decide whether you do PDQ if you want to retain the "CL will buy it if I don't like it" option. My finger is hovering over the "buy" button on PlanetX's web site. The orange is simply "too much", I think, and the grey is £100 more.

Given Dr M wishes to keep his BBB, CL should really consider my Kinesis 5T - think of the purchase price as a contribution to the Space Chicken that has caught my imagination (well, the geometry looks good at any rate). I've met CL and the 5T will fit.

Mike

dim

« Reply #8513 on: 25 February, 2017, 07:05:59 pm »
a new cheap bike to make a quick profit .... bought a Dutch Gazelle for cheap, and will sell it on .... hopefully it will make a bit of profit for a Trek fx series (I have lots of spare time and am looking at delivering food for Deliveroo).... A trek 7.2 fx or similar could be ideal   ;D

I'm saving up for a really good vintage steel bike such as a Colnago or similar .... wife said that if I want another bike, I need to get another job .... Deliveroo pay sucks, but I have the time and it's "money for jam", flexible hours  .... a couple hours every day and I should be able to afford a Colnago by 2027  :-[

“No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness.” - Aristotle

fuzzy

« Reply #8514 on: 27 February, 2017, 04:34:55 pm »
One wheel drive was the lightweight choice because differentials are expensive and not light.  Then the supply of diffs dried up in the 1960s.  In the 1980s the two wheel drive was reinvented - two freewheels.  This was also heavy until the cassette came along and a lightweight carrier invented.  This is now the preferred method.  For a picture of the cassette carrier with 2 sets of pawls and of braking arrangements see "Galleries" at http://www.trykit.com/  Also, look at the banner heading photographs on http://tricycleassociation.org.uk/  there's one showing what we would call a decent bend on the race circuit at Fowlmead in Kent.

That photo of the line negotiating the bend reminds me of a picture of a m/cycle sidecar race  :thumbsup:

« Reply #8515 on: 27 February, 2017, 06:17:48 pm »
How the Hell does a trike conversion work?!?  Can we have more photos?  And of the front brakes, I guess you need two to keep it legal.

It's nearly a bolt on job apart from the front brakes which are just a pair of Weinmann 610 centre pulls with longer bolts and a couple of spacers and just a few more spacers to centre the axle and align the rear derailleur .

Given the plethora of disc brake options nowadays is there not a modification that would fit an inboard brake on the rear axle similar to a racing go-kart? Or is it just going to be useless?
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8516 on: 27 February, 2017, 06:28:50 pm »
Thing about rear brakes is they'd need to be decently balanced, which means hydraulics or independent levers.  The latter is pretty much contraindicated by the need to have a proper brake that can do actual stopping on the front (so you can't do the tadpole thing of one hand for left, one hand for right).  I suspect that doing clever things with discs or whatever is too much bother unless it's a tandem.

« Reply #8517 on: 27 February, 2017, 06:29:48 pm »
Given the plethora of disc brake options nowadays is there not a modification that would fit an inboard brake on the rear axle similar to a racing go-kart? Or is it just going to be useless?
Tricyclists have been there and done that many times in the last 100 years.  The first central disc brake I can think of was in the 1970s.  It is not a modification you could make to an existing axle, especially not a conversion axle.  Rear brakes on light trikes do not achieve much, the braked wheel(s) lock quite easily since they are lightly loaded.  Heavily load the trike, or have  tandem trike and they are indeed useful.  Paralympic racing trikes have twin rear brakes, usually discs, because the people who set the Paralympic rules did not bother to ask those of us who have been racing trikes for decades.  For brake options, including twin disc, see "galleries" at http://www.trykit.com/

« Reply #8518 on: 27 February, 2017, 07:49:15 pm »

Given Dr M wishes to keep his BBB, CL should really consider my Kinesis 5T - think of the purchase price as a contribution to the Space Chicken that has caught my imagination (well, the geometry looks good at any rate). I've met CL and the 5T will fit.

Mike

;D But I is wanting carbon. Not because I have the legs for a fast bike, you understand. But precisely because I haven't.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #8519 on: 27 February, 2017, 07:56:02 pm »

That photo of the line negotiating the bend reminds me of a picture of a m/cycle sidecar race  :thumbsup:
Does one of those photos possibly show a member of this parish? Actually two, now I come to think of it, but one of them is on two wheels.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #8520 on: 27 February, 2017, 08:55:55 pm »

Mike

Indeed, the most important reason for carbon - apart from it's blingyness. Actually, I might have found a suitable frame to take the 1x10 drivetrain from my 5T. I'll pm you a link. Frame will be advertised soon.

Mike

;D But I is wanting carbon. Not because I have the legs for a fast bike, you understand. But precisely because I haven't.

« Reply #8521 on: 27 February, 2017, 09:16:26 pm »
It's really nice. I've ordered some of the crazy cheap 32 spoke, 25mm internal width planet x wheels so I can have a set of dirt wheels and keep my light wheels for road duty.

« Reply #8522 on: 27 February, 2017, 10:57:56 pm »
It's really nice. I've ordered some of the crazy cheap 32 spoke, 25mm internal width planet x wheels so I can have a set of dirt wheels and keep my light wheels for road duty.

Dr M, what tyres are you using for road duty and do you think it would work with wide 650b

Mike

« Reply #8523 on: 27 February, 2017, 11:53:06 pm »
Road - 35mm bon jons on 21mm internal Stans Grails - size up big, but loads of room.
Offroad - 35mm Clement X'Plor MSO on 25mm internal WTB i25ST - will see... have check - loads of clearance - suspect plenty of room for the 40s.

In terms of 650b, via chat, Planet X said they thought 650 x 47mm WTB Horizons would fit. Conclusion here is that's the limit.

https://www.lfgss.com/conversations/294987/

They can fit 700 x 40c with knobblies, but clearance looks tighter than I'd like. I think if you have aspirations to 650b x 2.1s, (like an OPEN UP) this isn't the frame for you.

http://grit.cx/reviews/rated-on-one-bish-bash-bosh-graveladventure-bike

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #8524 on: 28 February, 2017, 08:13:54 am »

That's exactly how I imagined it would look.

I'm still curious to try a recumbent trike. just to see how much fun it could possibly be.

Almost bought one off E-bay yesterday, that would have taken some explaining at home.  She doesn't even know about the folder I bought yet.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens