Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2448221 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #8475 on: 19 February, 2017, 08:29:22 pm »
My new Spa Ti Audax,

Looks a great audax bike. Swift and comfortable

Finally got the Genesis Equilibrium built - it's only taken about 6 months!

I like this. Old school 9sp. Square taper chainset to custom suite the gearing.  Shallow drop bars (raised from more extreme sports position, more usable positions). This is what I did with my condor fratello, although Ive got fast wheels on it and can hold my own on the changing nights with the wee gears 46*14.

Did your wife know you brought this into the living room ?
Nothing old school about 9 speed! Nice bike, new or old school though.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Samuel D

« Reply #8476 on: 20 February, 2017, 12:31:56 pm »
Nine-speed is only surpassed by 8-speed!

But isn’t windy’s machine 8-speed? If not, which thumb-button shifters are those? (I thought all 9-speed STIs were double-paddle types rather than thumb-button ones.)

Edit: ah, Sora ST-3400 are 9-speed with thumb buttons. I suppose that’s what windy’s using then.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #8477 on: 20 February, 2017, 01:13:27 pm »
Nine-speed is only surpassed by 8-speed!

But isn’t windy’s machine 8-speed? If not, which thumb-button shifters are those? (I thought all 9-speed STIs were double-paddle types rather than thumb-button ones.)

Edit: ah, Sora ST-3400 are 9-speed with thumb buttons. I suppose that’s what windy’s using then.

Aye, Sora 9spd bought 2nd hand off the forum sales board. My Burton and Surly are 8spd.

« Reply #8478 on: 20 February, 2017, 01:18:57 pm »
Finally got the Genesis Equilibrium built - it's only taken about 6 months!

Genesis Equilibrium by ian, on Flickr

Ooh that's nice. I had a satisfying few hours with my 2014 vintage Equilibrium yesterday, rebuilding it into a 10 speed compact so the triple set previously fitted can go on the Croix de fer sitting in the loft waiting to be built (since Christmas). Looking forward to riding it in it's new lighter weight form
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

« Reply #8479 on: 20 February, 2017, 01:55:49 pm »
just bought a few minutes ago (was newly listed and snapped it up minutes after it was listed) .... hoping to use this on longer audax rides, aswell as a 35km ride every morning before heading off to work (as soon as it gets light enough):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/142284017424

Don't know much about it, but it looks in reasonable condition, ticks all the boxes: looks like 531, has a Brooks saddle, is my size, has mudguards and will take a rack, was cheap and seller posts / couriers it ... buyer says 'single speed' in his title, but she got that wrong... plus she says that it's a 19 inch frame .... measurements work out to a 52cm which is my size (20-21 inch)... she also quotes the wheel size as 25 inch  :P

paid £225 (£180 plus £45 shipping)

That might be an early 80s Holdsworth Mistral:

http://www.nkilgariff.com/HoldsModelPages/Mistral.htm
http://www.nkilgariff.com/HoldsCats/Cat1982/82_Mistral_Cyc.jpg
http://www.nkilgariff.com/HoldsCats/Cat1983/83_Specs.jpg

It might have had 27 wheels originally, which could account for the large clearances. The frame size could be 21.5 inches which is 54.5cm centre to top. And the forks might not be original, and the 531 sticker is later than the frame.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #8480 on: 20 February, 2017, 04:39:50 pm »

Ooh that's nice. I had a satisfying few hours with my 2014 vintage Equilibrium yesterday, rebuilding it into a 10 speed compact so the triple set previously fitted can go on the Croix de fer sitting in the loft waiting to be built (since Christmas). Looking forward to riding it in it's new lighter weight form

It rides nice too - very tempted by a Croix de Fer :)

dim

« Reply #8481 on: 20 February, 2017, 08:31:23 pm »
just bought a few minutes ago (was newly listed and snapped it up minutes after it was listed) .... hoping to use this on longer audax rides, aswell as a 35km ride every morning before heading off to work (as soon as it gets light enough):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/142284017424

Don't know much about it, but it looks in reasonable condition, ticks all the boxes: looks like 531, has a Brooks saddle, is my size, has mudguards and will take a rack, was cheap and seller posts / couriers it ... buyer says 'single speed' in his title, but she got that wrong... plus she says that it's a 19 inch frame .... measurements work out to a 52cm which is my size (20-21 inch)... she also quotes the wheel size as 25 inch  :P

paid £225 (£180 plus £45 shipping)

That might be an early 80s Holdsworth Mistral:

http://www.nkilgariff.com/HoldsModelPages/Mistral.htm
http://www.nkilgariff.com/HoldsCats/Cat1982/82_Mistral_Cyc.jpg
http://www.nkilgariff.com/HoldsCats/Cat1983/83_Specs.jpg

It might have had 27 wheels originally, which could account for the large clearances. The frame size could be 21.5 inches which is 54.5cm centre to top. And the forks might not be original, and the 531 sticker is later than the frame.

Thanks for the info!  :thumbsup:

I've managed to cancel the order.... the seller was apologetic and will also relist the bike with the proper frame size etc
“No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness.” - Aristotle

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #8482 on: 20 February, 2017, 09:12:18 pm »
late to the party but I'd say the over-bb cable routing marks it firmly in the 70s...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #8483 on: 21 February, 2017, 12:41:24 am »

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #8484 on: 22 February, 2017, 06:18:17 pm »
It's back. I've been riding the Raleigh on my commute for the last couple days after rebuilding it. It feels as nice as ever. Thank you Torslanda for fixing the frame :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #8485 on: 22 February, 2017, 07:44:06 pm »

Link to photoreel - https://northernwheelandbike.wordpress.com/2017/02/22/kinesis-gf-ti-v2-audax/#jp-carousel-85

My GF Ti in long distance and local riding guise. Spa Aire Ti, Arkel Tailrider, Igaro D1 and Restrap frame bag.

Wheels are interesting (well I think so) Kinlin 31T rims (asymetric at rear) with 24 Lasers radially laced on SP SV-9 hub at front and 28 Laser/Race on Hope Mono RS at back. 28mm Schwalbe One tubeless.

Should have been used for last year's Easter Arrow, but I got it too dirty! Lovely riding bike.

Mike

« Reply #8486 on: 22 February, 2017, 07:55:30 pm »
A very purposefull looking bike, Mike.  :thumbsup:

The second picture make it look as if the saddle is slightly skewed...

...or do you 'dress to the right'?  :demon:
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #8487 on: 22 February, 2017, 09:30:01 pm »
my saddles are skewed to the left by a couple of degrees, otherwise my right thigh is chafing raw (or i get knee pain by avoiding it). all the shorts i have start disintegrating on the right inner thigh too.

« Reply #8488 on: 23 February, 2017, 10:42:46 pm »

Bish bash bosh
Stans Grail rims
Compass Bon Jons tubeless at 40psi
Ergon CF3 Pro leaf spring seatpost (bendy)
Brooks Cambium C17

It's quite light, and seems pretty comfy. Yet to ride it beyond the end of the road.

« Reply #8489 on: 23 February, 2017, 10:55:58 pm »
Looks fantastic. Can I have a go, mister?

« Reply #8490 on: 23 February, 2017, 11:04:35 pm »
Looks fantastic. Can I have a go, mister?
Of course. I'll be bringing it to your event with clement xplors on, but if you are venturing otley way, pop in for a coffee and take it for a spin around the reservoirs.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #8491 on: 24 February, 2017, 12:09:22 am »
It's back. I've been riding the Raleigh on my commute for the last couple days after rebuilding it. It feels as nice as ever. Thank you Torslanda for fixing the frame :)

You're welcome, although credit should really go to Kenny the Torchmeister . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Samuel D

« Reply #8492 on: 24 February, 2017, 08:34:32 am »
What did Kenny put a torch to? Was that the frame with a cracked chainstay (or was it the seatstay?) that mcshroom talked about long ago?

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #8493 on: 24 February, 2017, 12:59:50 pm »
Yes that one. The rear dropout on the drive side detached from the chainstay.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

paul851

« Reply #8494 on: 24 February, 2017, 02:08:45 pm »
Thought I would give a trike a go so managed to get hold of a Longstaff conversion and attached it to what was my fixed gear bike as I had managed to get hold of a langster for fixed duty's at a reasonable price  :)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #8495 on: 24 February, 2017, 05:30:40 pm »
How the Hell does a trike conversion work?!?  Can we have more photos?  And of the front brakes, I guess you need two to keep it legal.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8496 on: 24 February, 2017, 05:34:44 pm »
And of the front brakes, I guess you need two to keep it legal.

There's a special exemption for delta tricycles, which are allowed a pair of brakes acting on the same front wheel.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #8497 on: 24 February, 2017, 05:37:11 pm »
And of the front brakes, I guess you need two to keep it legal.

There's a special exemption for delta tricycles, which are allowed a pair of brakes acting on the same front wheel.

I remember reading something about that.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8498 on: 24 February, 2017, 05:40:00 pm »
Obviously it's a bit dodgy, as it means you're in trouble if the tyre fails.  But that's probably not even in the top ten list of ways the things are trying to kill you.   ;D

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #8499 on: 24 February, 2017, 05:59:49 pm »
Yep, there's a guy down here who has two trikes. We call him "Trikey Dave".  ;D Both his trikes have two brakes on the front wheel. I think one also has back brakes but he never uses them – totally useless.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.