Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3930243 times)

GdS

• I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass
Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #26525 on: 07 May, 2024, 10:15:53 pm »
After a day of sitting around indoors, due to the pissing rain, cooking and eating, I took advantage of a gap in the rain to nip out this evening.

Roads very wet, my ditches runneth over.  Got wet feet pedalling through a small flood near Southwater.  Some time later, I'm whizzing down a lane and get overtaken by one of those trucks with a cage on the back, the sort that tree surgeons use. I pay it no heed. A few hundred metres on, he's stopped in the middle of the road, hazards on. In front of him is a swath of the River Arun, which normally crosses the road by going under a bridge but today was going over the road, covering quite a lot and quite deep.

I thought the driver was just weighing up his options, as was I (There's a bridleway a short way back, but I didn't fancy it much) . No, he'd seen me and was waiting. We put the bike in the cage and proceeded gingerly to the other side. What a Top Bloke.

That warmed my heart  :thumbsup: did you mean the Adur or was it another lane?
Warmed my feet too! Definitely the Arun, as I was going down Kerves Lane.

always better than going up! I avoided it on my ECE to Maresfield last Friday

« Reply #26526 on: 08 May, 2024, 06:29:10 pm »
For the first time since 31st August 2022  :facepalm:, I managed a ride longer than my commute. Only 15km, but a lot better than nothing. It was rather fun. I must get back into riding a bit more.

I only went as I'd left my keys at home this morning and wanted to minimise the length of time the bike was unlocked. If I'd remembered them I'd have gone for a run instead. I went a long way round back home instead of the usual commuting route.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #26527 on: 08 May, 2024, 08:18:46 pm »
https://www.strava.com/activities/11361625334

Had a great day in the saddle - without my smart watch though, we would never have found my phone, money and credit cards.

Full story in the link.

About 60km
"Ott's Law states that the worst weather will coincide with the worst part (for that weather) of any planned ride"

« Reply #26528 on: 08 May, 2024, 09:46:11 pm »
Short 30km loop in the eastern Peak District. I made it up Rowsley Bar for the first time! Garmin says my heart rate went up to 175, I had no idea it could go that high :-) I've seen 170 on Zwift but on the road it normally peaks in the low 160s.
"There are proven ways; play on the certain knowledge of their superiority, the mystique of secret covenant, the esprit of shared suffering"

« Reply #26529 on: 09 May, 2024, 10:55:04 am »
Yesterday. A pleasant 25 miles with U3A group to a newly discovered cafe tucked away down a side street in Hemingford Grey, the 'Grey House Coffee Gnawtybites', 36b Marsh Lane PE289EN. Recommended. Google has its location. Conditions were perfect and backside is beginning to behave again re saddle.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #26530 on: Yesterday at 11:14:53 am »
Yesterday, 128k via Rhine-Marne canal, tarte flambée lunch in Saverne, sitting in the sun. Very pleasant up until then, due to a strong NE wind pushing me, so the the motor wasn't needed for a good chunk of the way.  However, home was due NE and getting home was a bit of a struggle, not alleviated by the fact that the wind was freighted with pollen, to which I have become allergic over the last 3 years. Eyes were itching and nose streaming for the next 65k, and the spray the GP had prescribed made not a dent in it.

Saw: dozy ducks and the odd swan along the canal, also a couple of storks wheeling on the wind. Heard a cuckoo, too - first this year.

Bike was almost lovely, still got a bit of noise from the FD. My new Knog bell, though, makes such a curious noise - a loud ding that becomes a rising whine as it tails away - that some people don't identify it as a bike bell. One bloke just looked at his phone and needed a Mk.1 bellow before he looked round, by which point I was almost at a standstill. Hmm...

I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #26531 on: Today at 01:14:46 am »
Today and yesterday. Set out at 20:44 to look for the Northern Lights. Got as far as Kilburn NYorks, but it  was cloudy and nothing appeared. Nevertheless had a good 75km night ride in spite of some appalling road surfaces. Got back just after midnight. Despite it being quite a warm day(sighted 1st swallow, FWIW) temperatures dropped sharply and the light E wind was distinctly chilly.  Avg speed 22 km/hr on the British Eagle.
Move Faster and Bake Things

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #26532 on: Today at 02:45:58 pm »
I did the "old" café run today as my usual riding buddy is in That London for the weekend.  The bastard chipsealers have been out and most of the road from Waterhay to Spine Road is chipseal.  My hands had pins and needles for ten minutes after that section.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #26533 on: Today at 05:15:40 pm »
Yes, and it nearly finished me off.
1) small peloton came out of a side turning in Felstead... didn't give a f$£* that I was there, and they forced me to decide whether to go out into the potholes or into the path of oncoming vehicles. Cheers guys. Twats.
2) Riding past a parked Smart car, it pulled away. Driver not too smart.

Then I found the end of my energy. Despite some expensive drink supplements etc., the ride's usually reasonable snack food was pathetic this year. Perhaps all the 65 and 50 mile riders ate it all while we (100milers) were doing the extra loops.

https://www.strava.com/activities/11394376107
"Ott's Law states that the worst weather will coincide with the worst part (for that weather) of any planned ride"