Author Topic: Bloody Abcess - Root Canal Needed  (Read 5576 times)

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
Re: Bloody Abcess - Root Canal Needed
« Reply #25 on: 19 August, 2008, 05:10:40 pm »
Does that mean that Mr R  would have commited an offence if he'd tapped on your sore tooth then prescribed you antibiotics?

Yep!  Daft, isn't it.

Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #26 on: 19 August, 2008, 05:44:14 pm »
as both blacksmiths and barbers pulled teeth
well I didn't I repaired trains and built warships

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #27 on: 19 August, 2008, 06:24:11 pm »
Urgh. Abscesses. I feel for you but I don't feel your pain!

I had one a few years back under a front tooth. The dentist prescribed antibiotics and I went back twice, but he said the infection was too great to start work on it - the antibiotics needed to take effect and reduce the pressure before he drilled. However the pressure was preventing the antibiotics getting to the abscess. Also no pain relief was possible. It was excruiating.

So I told him to drill in there and then.

The explosion of pus and blood was astonishing. The relief was instant. The dentist's face was a picture.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #28 on: 19 August, 2008, 06:26:45 pm »
The explosion of pus and blood was astonishing. The relief was instant. The dentist's face was a picture.

Pollocks?
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #29 on: 19 August, 2008, 06:31:29 pm »
I don't mind the root canal work - the worst part is the injections for the local anaesthetic.  The rest is a doddle.

I rang my dentist today.  He's NHS and it's band 2 on the scale - so the whole lot will only cost about £70.

The bit that pees me off is the antibiotics.  They don't half give me the runs...

My mother in law has the same problem with antibiotics, but Mrs HH suggested she try a probiotic that Mrs HH takes regularly and that sorted out MIL's tummy. Obviously only circumstantial evidence here, but it might be worth considering.
Stropping rocks

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #30 on: 19 August, 2008, 06:33:59 pm »
Does that mean that Mr R  would have commited an offence if he'd tapped on your sore tooth then prescribed you antibiotics?

Yep!  Daft, isn't it.

I suppose you could try to get me struck off then  ;) ;)

I confess to having tapped on infected teeth and prescribed antibiotics for them.
I have also lanced a dental abscess.

I have done other emergency dental work; it's much more rewarding than spending hours on the phone trying to find someone who is either going to do precisely the same as I would, or advise the same.

Mike J

• Guinea Pig Person
« Reply #31 on: 19 August, 2008, 06:40:16 pm »
I changed dentists a while ago, and was asked when I had root canal work on my bottom front teeth - my reply was no idea as I genuinely didn't recall having it done.